BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Lower back pain after THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by rider, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rider

rider Junior Member

Just wondered if anyone had any advise or similar experience's.
    Am now about 7 & bit months after LTHR have been doing all the normal activities and gradually building up. I have now got Lower back pain almost all of the time I do a lot of bending as have my horses to look after.
    However I was wondering if this may have something to do with the spinal being put in to high on the first attempt or just my muscles trying to re adjust after years of compensating? :what:

2. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

It can take a while for your muscles to settle down after THR. Are you doing any stretches at all? I am a year post-op and I still stretch almost every day. I do hamstrings, quadriceps, hip flexors, iliotibial band, and adductors. I don't do them all every day, but I do most of them most days. That really makes a difference for me.

3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    From my experience all very normal Rider. Your muscles are "waking up" and now having to do things a bit differently. Alex has a good suggestion - simple stretches. I have to do these several times a day as I already have a bad back. But I do agree that the large muscles take many months to settle post-op.

Does heat help at all? Things will settle soon. Hang in there!

4. rider

rider Junior Member

Thanks Alex & Jaycey will start doing stretches again and heat is good. Had a bit of a better day today. Thank goodness for this site.:thumb:

5. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

Not after 7 months! Any issues relating to the spinal would have cropped up almost immediately.
    You can still have 'ordinary' things happen to you, you know! :wink1:

6. Rohanknitter

Rohanknitter Post-Grad

I had some back issues after each THR, dr told me it was likely the back trying to adjust after everything being so out of whack. It did settle down after a bit, then I started having more problems this winter....nothing super serious but it did worry me a bit. Went to the dr and he said from what he could see, I just needed to lose a bit of weight and get more active, work on strengthening my core, do stretches and such. So I decided to get with it and joined the gym, the personal trainer helped me set up a program. I've been faithfully going 3x a week and I've not had a bit of back issues since!

• Like Like x 1
  7. JennyAWX

JennyAWX Junior Member

Hi Rider. Could it be due to all of your current activity? Before my hip problem ever started, I used to have lower back pain on the weekends when I would clean a week's worth of poop out of the paddocks and ride for a few hours each day. Since I work a sedentary desk job all week, my back was quite overworked on the weekends. I've heard that strenghtening the core abdominal muscles should alleviate the condition. Jenny​

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

You are right Jenny, core stability exercises do help with the lower back issues. I have been doing them for years!

9. Joankr

Joankr Member

Sorry to hear about the lower back pain, but I can empathize. I've had a few stretches of that since my THR, and I concur with those who say stretches can really help. I do several stretches every day, and I also make an effort to "walk tall," which also relieves the pain. Good luck to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.