Low Hemoglobin After THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishtwo

Hi there,
I'm a 58 year old that has just had a TRight hip replacement. The surgery was almost 2weeks ago on November 25th. I'm getting around with the help of crutches considering my hemoglobin went down from 146 to 51 and my heart is thumping really loud in my head. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does everyone begin their calcium and vitamin D right away as well? I'm beginning my physio therapy in two days and the staples are coming out the same day. Has anyone had an infection after the staples were removed? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, Irishtwo! So glad you decided to join BoneSmart. I have moved your post to its own thread so as not to derail the other one. Plus, people will be more likely to see your post and respond with it in its own thread.

You're pretty early in the recovery process, so do continue to go slow with your activity level. It's perfectly fine, you know, to continue to use the crutches for a while. It's important that you develop a proper gait and they help with that (or a cane, if that's more comfortable). Your therapist should be able to help you with some exercises to gain strength.

What is being done about your low hemoglobin?

It is possible to have an infection after the staples are out, but please don't worry much about this. The chances of you getting an infection are very small.

Let us know how you get along! We're here for you in whatever support you need.

Hemoglobin has always been in a range of 11-15 for me. Did you mean iron?
Congrats on the new hip. I recovered just fine and up to 2 weeks i had not left the house yet.
judy

Had haemoglobin (iron level) of 8.5 post surgery. Pre surgery it was 13 (normal for woman is 12-15 a bit higher for men).
Was treated with iron tablets which I only took for a week, then relied on diet.
Had it checked yesterday but don't know the result yet.

Hi there,
my hemoglobin went down from 146 to 51 and my heart is thumping really loud in my head.

"thumping heart in the head" is most likely due to anxiety issues more than anything physical. I wouldn't worry about that but have you had your Hg seen to? If not, you should talk to your GP.

the staples are coming out the same day. Has anyone had an infection after the staples were removed? Thanks!

Once in a while people do get a bit of gungy spot where a staple is or has been but it's only superficial and nothing to worry about. If it happens, it just needs to be kept dry and clean and covered. They heal quite quickly.

Hi tere wow im sorry you are having those problems i wish you the best and hope then can resolved them soon.....try not to worry.take care of yourself post anytime............)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie