Lots to absorb-know everyone's different..but in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dosbichons

Country
United States United States
in genreal, after the hospital stay... we're home..and taking meds/icing and in bed, getting to the bathroom, having home PT visits...
and I notice a lot of you brave souls are in a lot of pain and on meds that make one sleepy....about how long is one not sleepy able to eg. sit up in bed. maybe do an emai?

My meds never made me sleepy once I got home from the hospital. I was able to mess around on the laptop as soon as I got there. I was not able to concentrate for long periods (such as to read a book) for the first week or so, so the time online was limited too. You will most likely be hit with a lack of sleep for the first few months and so will need things like email, etc. to keep you occupied during those frustrating times of wanting to sleep but unable to.

Prior to the surgery my wife pretty much thought I would be bedridden for some time. Not true at all. Other than at night I never went to bed. The meds never made me sleepy but sleep itself is hard to come by for the first few weeks. THAT makes one sleepy so you nap whenever it strikes you to do so. Some people react differently to some of the meds and their brains feel a little "muddled" for a time, hard to concentrate for very long. But, everyone is different.

I can't tell you guys how lucky I feel to have found this forum/site. Once I can figure out how to master posting new threads and searching I'll be all set

@Dosbichons Welcome to bonesmart! When is your surgery? My husband drifted off to sleep often, but not bedridden. I thought he would want to spend a day or 2 in bed, but he didn't. He hated the way the percocet made him feel. He rarely takes them now, only after days like yesterday when he had his leg down too long watching fireworks. You will be able to email, etc. between naps.

I notice a lot of you brave souls are in a lot of pain and on meds that make one sleepy....about how long is one not sleepy able to eg. sit up in bed. maybe do an emai?
Don't get the wrong impression on this. Most people can be posting on the forum within hours of surgery! Some have even done it in recovery! I would have but our hospitals don't have wi-fi - very old fashioned!

I was also back on the forum as soon as I got home and able to work a good day in patches answering everyone's queries and problems as usual! You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how I did! Knee recovery - UK style

Everyone thank you so much. I'm becoming hooked on this site and find the posts so uplifting! In fact, since I'm going down this surgery path without much encouragement/not much in the way of family left.. I feel as if I have a new place to finally "talk" to someone.. and get some knowledge from those who know. All I've been hearing from others is... I have no choice .when I talk about being afraid, or if I talk about the possible pain after the recovery, it's again, you have no choice. I wish those I knew were more compassionate or knowledgeable. thanks everyone. My preop testing,, and education is on wed, 7/9. While reading about all of this does make me nervous, I should be prepared for the q&a portion of the educational session. Off to read more stuff
thanks soo much

was emailing bone Smart on my thread on my ipad just an hour after I got to my room after surgery.... sometimes I was a bit scattered in the mind.... but never really sleepy. My thread below is a one year follow of just after surgery in the hospital and day by day, month by month of my recovery. Perhaps it will give you a perspective of what you may encounter. Best to you on your surgery and recovery!:)

I'm going down this surgery path without much encouragement/not much in the way of family left

Hi and welcome!
Many members have limited resources to call on for assistance and need to care for themselves after they leave the hospital. It's quite doable, even stairs. The key is preparation. Have some meals made, groceries stocked, or take out order menu handy. And lots of ice for swelling.

Someone is on this site from around the world practically every minute of the day so members are here to talk with in the wee hours of the night or ask questions of when needed.

Think of it as the whole world helping you heal! :yes::SUNsmile:

Yes welcome. I will be having my second knee done in September. I had my first Dec. 2013. I consider myself lucky and had a great recovery but there are many success stories here. It is a great resource and you will be well prepared by reading up on this site. Good luck!

"Think of it as the whole world helping you heal!"
That's some team backing me up THANK YOU

I think I should start a new thread...

Someone is on this site from around the world practically every minute of the day so members are here to talk with in the wee hours of the night or ask questions of when needed.

Think of it as the whole world helping you heal! :yes::SUNsmile:
[/QUOTE]

when I talk about being afraid, or if I talk about the possible pain after the recovery, it's again, you have no choice.
But it's perfectly common for people to range between uncertainty and outright panic. This is a big deal and you will be handing yourself over into the care of total strangers that you will probably not even set eyes on and letting them do things you have no idea about and that is scary. Only crumb of comfort I can offer is that these strangers do this several times a day, every day of the week. Or to put it another way, for you this is a big, unknown and scary deal, for them it's just another day at the office. But you can trust them. I used to be one of those unseen and unknown people in the OR and I took care of every individual that came into my care just as much as if they had been my own mother or father. They will too because they are professionals and know their job. So the only thing you really have to fear is the unknown and that we can help you with. Read around here and be educated. It will help you greatly.

But it's perfectly common for people to range between uncertainty and outright panic. This is a big deal and you will be handing yourself over into the care of total strangers that you will probably not even set eyes on and letting them do things you have no idea about and that is scary. Only crumb of comfort I can offer is that these strangers do this several times a day, every day of the week. Or to put it another way, for you this is a big, unknown and scary deal, for them it's just another day at the office. \
Really hit home...thank you for your response... it is really helpful.

Many people have mentioned having trouble sleeping. Is that due to pain? Also, I sleep with a CPAP machine. Can I use that in the hospital?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@thequiltermom trouble sleeping comes from a variety of issues, some have sensitive scars, some it's pain, some it's because they nap so much during the day they can't sleep at night, some it's the medicine they are on. For my husband it isn't so much pain he just can't seem to get comfortable, his knee stiffens up when it is still for too long. He is also on a CPAP, and yes you take it to the hospital with you. Put your name on it.

I also brought my Cpap to the hospital. The anesthesiologist took it to check my settings. My OS also had me stay in a critical care unit the first night so I could be monitored. I was so tired I just wanted to sleep. I could be one of the odd ones but I had no trouble sleeping after surgery. I always woke up at four a.m. no matter what time I went to sleep. I am having my second done soon and am really hoping I sleep like that again!

@Jozilla my husband slept good the first week or so, and then he couldn't get comfortable. It seems to be really common to not sleep good. It seems to help him if I rub the thigh muscle really good and gently rub on the sides of the scar above the knee. His thigh had a knot in it, from the tourniquet I believe, and I have finally got it about worked out.

I wasn't particularly sleepy and have never been a napper. I did sit in front of the tv and watched lots of really bad programs just because of boredom. I don't think the meds made me sleepy at all. I've had sleep issues for over 20 years and was really hoping I'd sleep a little more, but unfortunately didn't.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

I posted 4 hours after my surgery, but first I ate a super chicken burrito my GF had bought from our favorite taqueria. I really had no effects at all from the surgery. I was cracking jokes and very much alert. Much to my surprise. This forum will help with any issue. Follow the mantras and you will do just great. The surgery will be over before you know it. Best of luck, Iceman

Hi Dosbichons! We are having surgery the same day, 21 July. This is my second, a RTKR. I had a LTKR on 21 April. I am sure some anxiety is setting in. Last Monday I wore my shorts to PT backwards. ; (
I wouldn't be doing this again if I did not see how much better my life will be with strong, stable knees. It is not easy, but it is worth it. Week 3 was toughest for me. Often teary and tired; sleep is difficult. Sleep when you can. Prepare things to do at night. It will just be mixed up for awhile. Keep pain controlled. I stayed on pain meds for over two months, gradually decreasing strength and quantity. Hope to be hearing from you. Prayers offered for your healthy recovery. : )

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back