BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Looking forward to new knees

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by proskier, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proskier

proskier Junior Member

My first TKR surgery is scheduled for 3/13 and the second for 5/8. the days can't go fast enough:dancy:

2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there proskier and welcome to BoneSmart. We've had a lots of skiers here had TKR and gone back to it.
    Our star is @skigirl: who I hope will be along shortly to talk with you.

In the mean time, do tell us a bit about yourself and ask any questions you have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you investigated bilateral?

4. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi and welcome to Bonesmart. You don't have long to wait now - you must be on count down mode. From my experience the last few weeks before surgery were hard going and were the most difficult in the whole process of this surgery. The actual day of surgery and recovery were a lot less stressful!

I hope you tell us a little bit more about yourself and come back to give us an update. Good wishes to you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. proskier

proskier Junior Member

Hi All,

First, a little about myself. In addition to being a life long skier, started at 3 or so (I'll be 66 on 4/2), I'm also an avid equestrian. I'm a ski patroller as well as a level 2 PSIA instructor. This season has been horrible and my surgeon and I have agreed that it's time for TKR for both knees. He doesn't do them at the same time as he feels that the recovery time ends up being about the same by doing them 6 weeks or so apart. Also, the very slight risk of infection makes it unadvisable. I'm in excellent condition and have lost about 40 lbs since last spring. I can't wait to get the surgery done and start the rehab. as I'm very good at working hard and staying focused on a goal. My surgeon is a skier and has no problem with my return to skiing after. I'm also looking forward to being to ride my horse with knees that function better. My range of motion is only about 50-60 degrees in both which makes walking very painful. My left knee has at least a 20 degree bend with the right only slightly better. I'm so happy to have found this forum and have already gotten a lot of great information. thanks:yes 4:

6. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States
    Welcome to the forum, proskier! It is great to have you here in our community. Ask all of the questions that you want---we will try to give you solid answers and we will be with you through every step (literally and figuratively!) of your journey to reclaim your active lifestyle.

I had a BTKR over four years ago; I officiated HS and college basketball and football for many years---even after my BTKR, I continue to umpire HS and college baseball. I also cycle about 120-140 mile a week in the summer time. You will be amazed at how great you feel and what you can do after your two TKR's and the ensuing recovery.

Have you taken a look at our forum library? It is full of some awesome articles that are full of useful information. I will give you some of the links:

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Using ice

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
    So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
    Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
    About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
    Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
    Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    It's Worth the Wait for ROM
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Several things that I had to learn was that, unlike previous knee surgeries for athletic injuries, a TKR recovery/PT does not include the "no pain, no gain" approach---it is "no pain, more gain." The harder you work, the more your knee tends to get angry at you. Because of this, I---we had/have to change our perspective on PT and stay within the envelope and not try to overwork the surgical knee. The recovery can also be sometimes longer than we would like it to be, so it may take some patience on your part; the end result, though is amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  7. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

Welcome, Proskier, I am also a Level II PSIA instructor. I had my knees done a year apart--my surgeon also will not do them at the same time. I did not want to miss a ski season, so I played it safe and did them a year apart. My right knee was in pretty good shape, so no rush for me.

I skied both seasons after a tkr, I am sure you will have no problem returning to skiing. Also, I ski lots better now!!

The first two weeks pass by in a drug induced haze and then after that it is a steady increase of ability. There has to be lots of rest built into the rehab---I also tried to force my rehab to be faster, but alas, it was not to be. It seemed to take a long time then--but now, it seems short!!! I could ride my bike at two weeks and could ride 20 miles at four weeks. But, those first two weeks I spent in bed most of the time with my knees on three pillows. Good luck with your surgery. Kelly

8. proskier

proskier Junior Member

Thanks for the great advise. I'm hearing a lot about the patient and gentle approach to rehab. I've been told that people tend to fall into two categories when it comes to rehab/PT, those that have to be prodded and those that have to be reined in. I'll be in the latter category but will heed the advise to take it slow and only do as my therapist tells me. I've lined up a fellow ski instructor who is a PT so I'll be in the right hands. I was in a near fatal MVA in 2006 and had about a year of rehab and therapy so this should be much more straight forward situation. As for skiing, this year has been such a lousy one, this is a no brainer! :biggrin:

9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi, proskier...welcome to BoneSmart. Boy, are you in good company here....we have both skiers and horse folks as members. You should have lots to chat about in the days following your surgery when you have to be "reined in.":th_heehee:

I look forward to hearing more from you!

10. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

Welcome proskier!
    My Right TKR is 3/12 and the Left to be followed at a latter date. My OS likes to do 1 at a time. Next Monday I will be sporting a new right knee!!:biggrin:. I am excited to move on with my life. I am going to miss my early morning workouts at the YMCA. Listen to your fellow Bonesmarties, lol. They have help me understand what to expect and most importantly im not in controll my knee is! Rest, Ice, Elevate and get your pain meds on time to help with your recovery. Here's to you getting back on the slopes & me getting back to my elliptical, lol. Best of Luck to you!

Margie

11. newnee

newnee Graduate

Hey Proskier Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Our surgery dates are almost here.I am only 6 days behind you my fellow muskateer. Can't wait to get to the other side. Keeping you in my prayers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.