BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

looking for experience with knee cap moving off center

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Luke 46, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke 46

Luke 46 New Member

Hi
    I went in for my 1 year anniversary and was curious to know why I still had swelling, especially after standing for long periods. I have been very active since the surgery but no impact sports. Anyway my knee cap is moving off center, so far that the edge is actually lined up with the groove. The OS is having me get a second opinion, but he feels the only way to fix it is to open the knee back up, smooth the knee cap and insert the plastic button. He is hesitant to do this because he is afraid the button is going to wear out, I am only 47. He said out of the 1000's of knees he has done, this is the first time he has seen this. Has anyone else experienced this. I am really bummed that I have to go under whole muscle recovery thing again?

Curious to know if anyone else has had this happen?

2. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Luke....

I have not experienced this however I THINK I remember it being addressed previously. Jo will be back on tomorrow and should be able to give you lots of information.

What I remember is that the surgery is not as invasive as the first. Shall I say minimally invasisve...not cutting major bones anyway. I will be interested to hear what Jo has to say.

Sorrry you are having this problem...don't be bummed. It will make your knee work ALOT better. Good luck:cnsl:

3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have no idea why he should be worrying about the patellar button wearing out - that just doesn't happen! It's the weight bearing surfaces that wear. And Barb is right, having the patellar button addressed isn't anywhere near as invasive as the original surgery, so don't worry about that.

But I'm curious as to why this should have happened and think the finger is pointed at on of two things:
    1. that you potentially had a laterally tracking patellar before or
    2. an improperly aligned femoral component

I really think I would go for a second opinion of your own, someone who has no connection with your present surgeon and who has experience in knee revision.

4. Luke 46

Luke 46 New Member

Thanks to both of you, I am planning on getting a second opinion from some major Docs now that I fall into a more unique catagory. I am young, I ski regularly, even 5 1/2 months post op and ride a bike 100 + miles a week. So being bummed is the recovery from the cutting of all the tissue and muscle. He claims he has to peel back the skin again, so they can shave the knee cap to flatten it and put the button on. His opinion is the same as I found in searching out a Doc, that due to my age 47 things are going to wear out. In the US they always lean to the side of caution for liability.
    So my bummer is recovery from another cut into the muscle and I would like to know why this is happening? I there is a ligament pulling the knee cap, I would believe it will make the button wear unevenly as well.

5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I gave two possible explanations in my previous post. I would actually go for the second one.

There is one other issue which could be responsible - there is a small ligament attached to the side of the patella - called the medial patello-femoral ligament (though
    this would only be applicable if the patella is being pulled to the inner side of the knee). This has been known to give some problems in alignment and require to be divided. You can see it in this image

[​IMG]

And the long held idea that implants wear out is slowly being disproved. So many are lasting 20 or more years. I've said it before and I'll say it again - give the extraordinary number of primary replacements that have been carried out in the last 15-20 years, whilst acknowledging that a fairly high percentage of the older recipients may have died of age or unrelated conditions, if even 30% of them were needing revisions at 10-15 years, we now wouldn't be having any time free to carry out primary replacements! One can only therefore conclude that a huge majority are lasting a lot longer than is so often predicted!

So if you reckon that a knee done in the last 5 years could still last up to 20 years, you'll be 67 before you need a revision because of wear! But my bet is they'll last even longer than that - 30 years isn't that uncommon today and remember, those were implanted in 1980 - things have moved on a lot since then!

6. ship4

ship4 Graduate

Sorry to hear you are going to have to undergo a second surgery. My OS did a lateral release on each knee so my button would track well. Hopefully once this is done for you, you will be as good as new! Good Luck with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.