BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

looking after my dog

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Fiona's mum, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiona's mum

Fiona's mum Junior Member

My dog Fiona (aka Fifi) is on my picture. I'm getting worried about how I'll manage to l ook after her at first after my op. Luckily she's only small - a Cavalier King Charles spaniel so she can go in the garden for exercise but are there ways to keep the garden clean of her mess - how soon will I be able to bend to pick up her mess and are there any aids available to help me? Like I just keep on saying, it's all the little things! x

2. newnee

newnee Graduate

United States United States
    When I had my knee scoped I had no problems taking care of the two pups you see n my avatar photo. They seemed to understand and were alot calmer with me while I was on the mend. For my yard I have a spring activated scooper. I have had to use it for awhile since it is difficult bending down to pick up. There is also rake and shovel set that works well. I picked them up in Pets Mart.

Taking care of my pets was one of my worries but I am confident I will be able to take care of them and feel you will do well with yours. I made sure I filled up the dog food bin with enough food to last a couple of weeks and kept the bin up on a table so I did not have to bend down after it.

3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

4. helix-2000

helix-2000 Member

Those long handled pooper scoopers come in handy. Luckily I have a daughter living with us who will get the task until it reallyu snows and freezes up. Very nice of you to think about your pet.

5. carousel66

carousel66 Graduate

I agree with the others.
    For my first TKR I had friends come over twice a week and "scoop" for me as the weather was cold and wet but I found by the 2nd week I could walk the yard w/o any aids and with the help of a "pooper-scooper" I did fine.
    My 2nd TKR I had a friend help me the first week but the 2nd week I was alone in the house and had no problem cleaning up after the dogs. (I had 4 at the time)

6. Fiona's mum

Thank you all so much for your great ideas I'll look on Amazon tomorrow- don't know why I never looked before as I use it all the time - I guess I panicked cos it was so difficult last year when I ruptured my Achilles and I was terrified then of doing more damage to it - hopefully my new knee won't be so vulnerable - or will it?!
    I think I generally feel so bad about leaving her at all it's just all blurred into one big worry! xx

7. WyrDachs

WyrDachs Member

For those of you that have or had dogs, how long did it take after the surgery to go back to walking your own dogs?

I live in an apartment, so I don't have a yard to let them out in. When I'm in the hopsital and rehab, I have my 2 dogs farmed out to very good friends. Due to the pain I'm in right now (pre-surgery), I've had dog walkers walking them, but I'm looking forward to the day I can go back to doing it myself.

8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

If they are big dogs that could take off with you, you'll want to wait longer. Smaller dogs that don't tug you might be able to take for short walks at 4-6 weeks. But it all really depends on how your particular recovery goes. You want to avoid a situation where they would pull you or cause you to get off balance. And....you just plain will not have the stamina to go for a 30 minute or longer walk for a while.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
  10. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

Recovery from a tkr is easy compared to a ruptured achilles injury. You'll be amazed how quickly you can fend for yourself (and that pretty dog!). My dogs walk to heel, and so I was off out with them on 100yd walks after 2 1/2 weeks. But it's best not to go walking in the ice and snow for a while - and I speak from experience!! I'm glad nobody saw me

11. Fiona's mum

thank you to all of you - it's so reassuring to have you friends to talk to when I panic x

12. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

I walk my dog almost the same walk every day. We go through the woods and back--it is 2 miles or so. I walked him at 2 weeks--for a mile or so and was walking the full walk by one month. Bennie, also walks to heel, so I don't have to worry about him jerking me. Kelly

13. Fiona's mum

Wow ski girl, what an amazing photo - I'm down in Devon (south west of England ) for a couple of days and we get anxious cos it's minus 2! thank you for the encouraging message x

14. newnee

newnee Graduate

Man I am so jealous Skigirl. I came to Texas from PA and I laugh at what they consider snow down here, I got to build a snowman twice since I have been here and it took every drop of snow in my front and back yard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.