Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Scheduled for release tomorrow: a major re-design of the BoneSmart.org forum.

All the same features you're used to will still be here, but the look will be completely updated to match the rest of the website (Part 1, launched in May). But this update is not just about a new color scheme - it's about making the forum easier to use no matter what device you're on! Whether you're on a desktop computer, a laptop, a tablet or a mobile phone - the new design will adjust to fit your screen (this is called "responsive web design"), be easier to read, and easier to navigate.

Yes, major changes like these can be a pain because they make the forum you're familiar with feel unfamiliar. But I hope you will come to appreciate all we've built into this new design. Ultimately we want to make it easier for newbies (even people who have found us yet) and all you BoneSmarties who are the heart and soul of this community. I definitely invite your feedback - good or bad - in Announcements.

jsr

Knee Pain One Year After Total Knee Replacement

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Joni, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joni

Joni Member

Post #1 on May 22, 2011
    good afternoon,
    It's been along tie since i've been here. I recognize the names of the people that were here to encourage me through my surgery. I have been having pain in my knee. Real bad pain. and it seems "how can you have pain when it is just metal?". and I am having pain in my knee cap. I realized that i did have pain in my knee cap for some time but it did go away. The Pain in right in the middle, where the plastic part is, and starts when i stand up. and then the knee cap seem s be most the time when walking, but real bad when I am in a sitting position and straighten my leg. real painful. I did not go to my first year doctors appointment because my excuse was that my fist grand child was born, and really because I have not lost the weight I promised myself i would do. My surgery was april, 5 2010.
    Any one got a quick fixer upper for me? ha
    Joni
  2. RestAssured

RestAssured

Post #2 on May 22, 2011
    Hi Joni!:biggrin:

I am sorry that you are having problems with your kneecap. I don't have any solutions for you but hopefully someone will.

My kneecap slides around and when it pops out of place, it hurts, but the PT puts it back in place and the pain stops. So I don't think that sounds like the same problem.

When are you going to see your OS? Who cares if you have lost weight or not? If you are in pain, find out what is going on.:wink1:

Good luck and God bless!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joni

Joni Member

Post #3 on May 22, 2011
    I am going to call in the morning. Thanks for your reply.
  4. Joni

Joni Member

Post #4 on May 22, 2011
    testing my new picture
  5. Josephine

Josephine

Post #5 on May 23, 2011
    I agree with Sonja, Joni. It could be soft tissue (as in ligaments) or it could be the implant.
    Do you have a plastic button on your knee cap?
  6. Joni

Joni Member

Post #6 on May 23, 2011
    yes well both knee cap shaved down and put plastic one underneath
  7. RestAssured

RestAssured

Post #7 on May 23, 2011
    Hi Joni!

Did you set up an appointment with your OS today?:wink1:

That is one precious baby in the picture with you!

8. Joni

Joni Member

Post #8 on May 23, 2011
    I made appointment could not get till 6/22. thank you for commenting on my Grand daughter. I JUST LOVE HER SO MUCH. thanks Sonja
  9. Josephine

Josephine

Post #9 on May 24, 2011
    That's the way it's always done! :wink1: Well, that eliminates one possible problem.
  10. Joni

Joni Member

Post #10 on May 26, 2011
    Now my knee is very swollen and painful. I am walking like i used to before my surgery. I am in a lot of pain. I don't think that I can wait till June 22nd to see the OS, but that was the earliest i could get in.

Can I have an infection this late after one year of surgery?

Help!!!:hissyfit:
  11. Joni

Joni Member

Post #11 on May 26, 2011
    I was just reading about infection in the knee and they can happen anytime. I have had a fever and thought I had the flu, but now I am so scared. I dont was to have to do anything to my knee again.

Should I get to a doctor sooner than later?

Joni
  12. Jamie

Jamie

Post #12 on May 26, 2011
    Joni, try not to let your mind run away with you in this time before you get to the surgeon. You might call your OS and see if he could get you in earlier.

How high is your fever? Do you have any other flu symptoms or just the fever?

I know this is scary until you find out for sure what is going on. Please stay close to us and we'll help you get through the waiting until you see your surgeon.
  13. Joni

Joni Member

Post #13 on May 26, 2011
    fever not over 100. i will call the os tomorrow.
  14. Josephine

Josephine

Post #14 on May 27, 2011
    There are so many things it could be and the most common is soft tissue issues like ligaments and muscles. Those can also happen any time so don't freak out about infection. It's the least likely answer.

And the fever could be due to anything - there's no reason you can't have ordinary problems like a cold or flu!
  15. Joni

Joni Member

Post #15 on May 28, 2011
    I went to the ER yesterday. the Pain got real bad ,and i was afraid to go the weekend sitting here thinking that something is terribly wrong with my knee. I do not want to ever go thru what I did again.

Maybe I'm a wimp. I did get an appointment with my doctors assistant on Tuesday. so i am happy about that.

But I did not like the recovery of my TKR last April. So I had a great Doctor that new my surgeon and he said that he tought that a cat scan and an ulta sound of my leg , because I am having pain in my calf woulb be what he would order.

So results looked good He could not see anything wrong. no infection, which is what i was afraid of. They put a leg immobilizer on me.

I cried when i saw it and remembered wearing it before. I do not have it on right now. Just icing my knee. doesnt seem to help the pain too much but it does help some, because it is taking the swelling down.

Oh my trials and tribulations.
  16. Jamie

Jamie

Post #16 on May 28, 2011
    If you were worried, I'm glad you had things checked out. I hope this relieved your mind a little. You'll feel better once you see the doctor's assistant on Tuesday. (((HUGS)))
  17. Joni

Joni Member

Post #17 on May 31, 2011
    Saw the Doctor's Assistant today, had more xrays. he really checked my knee out and then went and confered with my doctor and he told me that there is nothing wrong with my knee (yeah) He thinks that i need some physical therapy, strengthen my muscles.

My other muscle and ligaments are compensating for the weak ones and they think that is causing the pain. He prescribed a transdermal patch.(which the insurance needs doctors approval to pay) for the pain. And something for swelling.

I feel better. I will call PT in the morning! Fun!!!! :dancy:

Joni
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Open
Close X