Knee brace after TKR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunula

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi all - my OS is fervently opposed to knee braces, as a general rule. His practice is a large one in my area, and actually works with many of our local professional sports teams (where they DO prescribe knee braces) - his medical opinion is that they do not work and, in fact, may cause more harm since people feel "safe" when they have one on (and thus, take more chances, leading to further injury). At least this is his stance for people with my condition (chronic osteo-arthritis due to multiple sports injuries).

However, will he, or should he, prescribe one for me for use after my TKR? I ask because I am currently on my husband's insurance and we are at our 100% max out of pocket - so everything we do until the end of the year is 100% covered. If a knee brace will help me at all during recovery, then I want to mention it to him and get one. Did any of you get one after surgery? Did it help? Was it custom? Should I request one if we are, for instance, traveling (or some other instance in which I will need to keep my knee "safe" during recovery)?

I see him on 9 October to discuss the surgery and ask questions - again, not sure if he prescribes them after TKR, but just wanted to see what others' experiences were.

Thanks!

Having had bilateral tkr 13 weeks ago everything I've done has been to increase flex and extension and get the joint moving. It would seem a brace is contrary to that goal

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I have not heard of anyone routinely receiving a knee brace after surgery. An OS may prescribe one if there is a problem with your knee after surgery, this is very unlikely. You may receive a knee stabilizer if you have a femoral block, they are off the shelf and will be provided by the hospital.

Your OS is right knee braces give a false sense of confidence, and a person may take chances.

All the best with your upcoming surgery,

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen to that. I wore clunky un-loader braces on both legs for months as a delaying tactic. They are now moldering in the closet, thank God.

I have worn soft neoprene 'braces' (12.95 or less from any drugstore) to pad the post op knee and protect the incision a little, while horseback riding. I resumed riding five weeks after the first PKR and less than four weeks after the second, so there were/are still some tender areas.

Maybe your doctor feels you need it because of your unique situation? I had bilateral knee replacement and never needed a brace.

I would say an emphatic and unqualified NO. Sports medicine surgeons are more likely to be dealing with cruciate and other ligament injuries which most certainly do need support during the post-op period. But this does not apply to a joint replacement where it would be entirely counter-productive to getting a good outcome. If you want to end up with a stiff painful knee, then using a brace is the thing to do!

I had tkrs so that I did NOT have to use a knee brace!!
I strongly agree! I wore braces, at times, on both knees prior to my BTKR---and I wanted desperately to get rid of them.

After my BTKR, no braces, no pain, more activity---a much more active and enjoyable lifestyle!

I agree with all of the above. You wont need a knee brace since you will basically be getting a new knee. . I suppose it would be like putting a raincoat on during a sunny day. You wont need it. best of luck , Iceman

No brace should be needed. I did have a large foam type wrap I put on for the first few days when I would get up but it was more to keep the knee stable and helped with pain when I lifted it. It was not at all needed to keep the knee in place and was a pain to get on actually. You will be amazed at how stable your knee will feel the fist time you put weight on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker