BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Just now getting scared

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Kaaper, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaaper

Kaaper Junior Member

I have been in increased pain (big time) over the last several weeks. You would think I would be looking forward to this, after reading every thing here.

My preop appointment is in three days, which means the surgery cannot be far off. And now, I am getting scared. I can't even put my finger on exactly why. Perhaps it's the fact I have to go to the hospital alone. Maybe the recovery. I don't know exactly what it is. Just general anxiety.

I really feel like a fool posting this here when you all have shown it is a positive thing, but I just needed to express my feelings.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, my dear chap! Do you think anybody goes into this without feeling anxious? I'd seriously question anyone who said they weren't because I'd know they were lying! :th_heehee:

Perfectly normal and likely to get worse as the day approaches. It happens to everybody.
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Kaaper, I was an absolute wreck pre-op. Of course you are scared. Tell everyone at the hospital including everyone you meet at your pre-op. They really do understand and will do everything they can to help you through this.

If things get really bad can you ask your GP for something to help you stay calm in the run up to surgery. I did that when I had my spinal surgery. Please don't worry about the anxiety - it's normal! I hope you will come back and post some more. I am sure there are plenty of other members out there thinking the same thing!
  4. paul-crip

paul-crip Junior Member

Hi Kaaper

I think it is perfectly normal, anxiety is a normal reaction and something most of us, if not all of us have been through on here. For me it was fear of the unknown really.

I was the same going to the hospital by myslef which wasn't ideal, just try and draw on the positive aspects and how it will improve things for you in the long term.

As for feeling foolish for positing worries compared to positive things that others post as you put it, dont worry at all about it as everyone generally gets through the negative side of things before they get to see the positive side of their situation.

It can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster at times, your going to have good days & bad days, but try not to dwell on your worries too much as you will probably find out you are far far stronger than you realise.

Im sure it will make things better for you, good luck Paul
  5. bobslp

bobslp Member

If you folks weren't scared and anxious, your recovery would not be as good. When you are anxious, you are on alert and prepared. When you are that way, you are more ready to actively participate in your recovery. So be anxious and afraid, you have that right.
    Uh, those feelings will dissipate with the first shot of versed. :wink1:
  6. Cynthia07

Cynthia07 Member

I was beside myself in fright the night before, so much so that I got myself to the ER of the hospital hours earlier so I wouldn't be a no show.
    Understand completely. Try sleeping
  7. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hi Kaaper,

Anxiety and fear is very normal, there are lots of positives about the surgery and then some scary things too! It's a big surgery for sure. You might feel better once you get your date and can start to plan, without the date it can be a little mentally draining. It does get better promise!

All the best,

Sarah
  8. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Anxiety is normal and comes with the operation. Before my replacements I think I thought of everything that could go wrong. What a waste of time and effort. All went well. If there is a concern please ask you doctors and nurses. And of course we are here and with the experts here, I think we have a edge over everyone else. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Before you know it you will be on the other side with us. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:loll:
  9. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

I was very nervous! It hit me the worst as I was driving to my pre-op appointment. All the sudden it was--OMG, this is really going to happen!!! And, although I truly wanted and needed the hip replacement (and knew this in my head), the rest of me was stressed out. I was having little mini-anxiety attacks during the whole hour and a half drive to the appointment.

I just kept telling myself that yes, this was a big surgery, and that I would get through it one step at a tiime ... and of course that I was going to feel better afterwards. This bad anxiety passed, but I continued to be somewhat nervous right up until they gave me my preop knockout meds. It's a big deal; big deals cause anxiety to crop up==normal to feel.

If you can think of any comforting person that you can ask to go to the hospital with you, it will help. It doesn't even have to be someone you know really well--some people are just kind of built for comforting us during times like this. I like being independent, but I really did reach out to people for this surgery and it's been amazing how most people I asked were thrilled to help. If I hadn't asked, I would have had probably one quarter of the support I ended up getting from people simply because I reached out to many people I usually wouldn't have.

I wish I could just make everything better by saying "it will be fine; you will do great" (which very likely IS the case :)). But, the truth is that this IS a big deal and anxiety is part of it. My best advice would be to take everything one step at a time and don't let yourself "worry" too far ahead--plan ahead, yes, worry ahead, no. The surgery and recovery process really HAS been OK for me (my surgery was January 25, 2012, not a piece of cake but very managable. And, as you get a few weeks out in recovery and you can really start moving and returning to regular life, you will think back and truly rejoice in how much better the new hip feels compared to the old painful one. I have literally been out in a shop browsing around for an hour or so (wasn't able to do that for at least a year prior to my hip replacement--it was limp in and get what I need and get out, gritting my teeth in pain the whole time--stopped and realized what I was now able to do and welled up with tears because my life was coming back to me after being like a cripple for so long!

One step at a time ...

Dorothy
  10. aa1pd

aa1pd Member

I'm 2 weeks out and both getting scared and the resilience that helped me ignore the pain is fading. I think the anixiety of the big surgery is normal. I'm afraid that I wont pass the preop tests, I'm scared of the surgical pain, of the car breaking down and I'll miss the surgery all that stuff LOL.

like dorothy said one step at a time.
  11. JohnWD

JohnWD Junior Member

Can I join your club? I had LTHR op two years ago and just 15 days away from RTHR I think I aam much more nervous about it this time around. My first experience was immediate relief to be rid of arthritic pain and feeling continuous improvement in walking etc., afterwards, everything went really well, leg length perfect no limping back to do everything I did before the hip problem. This time around I seem to heve heard lots of stories about 2nd ops going wrong, plus I am just not looking forward to the surgery, last time I was totally naive and don't think I thought about it too much. The odds are that everything will be O.K. everyone speaks highly of my surgeon, it's just a different guy from the last one who did such a superb job.. Ho hum in just over two weeks I'll find something else to worry about!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kaaper

Kaaper Junior Member

I've had two cataract surgeries and three hernia surgeries. I was more nervous with the first hernia surgery only because a psychologist told me as a child that if I was ever put under, I would die. BOUGHT IT! Even drew up my will the day before! :hysterical: But all of these were outpatient. And relatively minor I guess. This one is my first major surgery and recovery to deal with. The others were all a cinch and I wasn't off work more than 1 day.

One of my biggest fears is screwing up AFTER the surgery. Wondering if I will be able to remember all the do's and don'ts. The only really positive thing is that I will be in the hospital at least two weeks, so I hope it becomes automatic by the time I leave.
  13. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hi Kaaper,

Everything you are thinking and feeling is very normal. I went through a very serious phase of writing wills, and thinking about life, goals and all the what ifs. This is a big surgery and mentally a little daunting, I felt more relieved the day of the surgery when my surgeon came into the PRE op area and said he would be done in about 45 minutes and I thought....hang on my teeth cleanings take longer than that duh! Read as many PRE and post stories on here as you can it really helps build confidence, there is a such a consistent tale in our journies and pretty much everyone has good things to say immediately after the operation.

You will remember all the restrictions becaus your body has a natural built in alarm and if you go to do something and your hip doesn't agree something let's you know, seriously!

The more you read the more empowered you will feel and it does help, plus asking questions :)

All the best,

Sarah
    • Like Like x 1
  14. aa1pd

aa1pd Member

2 weeks out today.

I was lying in bed not wanting to get up and go to work this morning realizing that I just don't want to be in pain today and that's why its hard to get up.

I don't think the pain has suddenly got worse lately its just that I wish to be done with it. But I can do the 2 weeks. I'm hoping the surgical pain will be better as I assume the body knows its getting better and better. What I'm dealing with now I believe is not the pain getting worse and worse but my resilience flagging. So I'm writing this to kinda give myself a pep talk "Go George Go!!!" to Cowboy Up (as we farriers like to say) and just go do a good job with the horses for the next couple of weeks.
  15. Mad Rocker

Mad Rocker Senior

3:24 am
    15 days POP (post op)

It's my turn to tell you everything will be OK.

I had myself so worked up about the surgery. Worked up in a positive way as Great I'm getting my operation and I'll be getting rid of this pain to the negative Omigod it's coming ---everything can go wrong---I watched the operation on Youtube what a dummy---I'm too young---I'm too old for this---Mommy!!!

This forum kept me together and helped me through all the dark times.

I'm not going to gloss over my operation and say everything was wonderful. There were wonderful people and I ran into lousy situations but I am so glad that I did this. Every day is better than the last. I am feeling better. I am sleeping better. I teased my hubby about feeling frisky the other am and he said :eek:. We laughed and teased each other but it was so nice to actually think about something so natural to a couple who have been married for 40 years. But frisky was not something we could consider with the old hip. An important and normal part of our lives made impossible because of my hip. That is gone now and the prospects of returning to normal and frisky is now a real possibility. Life has begun again.

I will be able to return to work and complain about all the silly stuff we complain about at work instead of the pain, the lack of sleep. I will be able to go to a movie and complain about the terrible priceds we have to pay and the crappy movie instead of fighting through the pain so I can sit through the movie or maybe not.

Hang in there, keep your chin up---call us when you need us we will be here for you. Rant, cry, YELL if you need to we have all been there and now it's my turn to say---It will be OK I promise.

Take care
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bilateral

Bilateral Junior Member

2 weeks before surgery I took myself off all pain killers, thinking that when I woke up the meds they gave for pain would work better. I don't think I slept for more than 3 hours at a time - always waking with the what-ifs.
    Like Mad-rocker I watched the operation on youtube. DONT DO IT.
    Let the professionals do their thing, and bring your A game to rehab. Rehab is the most important piece of this. Looking forward to your positive reports post-op.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. welshjane

welshjane Senior

Hello Kaaper, just wanted to tell you that, like you, I was scared to death the first time (3 months ago). I'd never had an operation in my life. I had simultaneous chemotherapy and radiotherapy last year, but a THR was far more scary to me than cancer treatment. I started a blog about all my fears, but have never revisited it, partly because I found BoneSmart and didn't need to blog, and partly because I forgot all about my fears after the op. I was afraid they'd give me too much anaesthetic and I wouldn't wake up, that they'd give me too little and I would wake up in the middle of the operation, that they'd break my pelvic bones, that I'd get an infection, that my legs wouldn't be the same length, that I'd have a permanent limp, that I would turn into a little old lady overnight....

You know what, none of these happened! And I'm here to tell you that I'm now gagging for the second one, which is happening 3 weeks today. Well, OK, maybe not exactly gagging, but I'm prepared to go through with it so I can get back to a normal life. Keep reading here on the forum, especially on the post-op side. You'll be fine with whatever restrictions you'll be given. It's not for very long. And the best thing is, that every day you can see little improvements, every day things really do get better, and that's so heartening. Just take a look at Z15's post-op thread and watch his video 2 months after THR - that will really inspire you!
  18. terriss

terriss Junior Member

I had my first thr in november, and i was petrified, however i had a spinal and was fine,i can't believe how well i have done, will be going for my second march 14th, it's natural to worry but think of the joy of being pain free it's great x x x
  19. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Most everyone experiences some increased pain just pre-op. For me it was like I suddenly stopped fighting the pain - stopped denying I needed the op and let go. Those last weeks were horrid in terms of pain.

The good news is when you wake up in recovery that pain is GONE! Sure there is a bit of post-op discomfort. But it is nothing like that bone on bone pain. And post-op pain can be controlled. :yes 4:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.