BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Just got back - weight loss support

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Nyland, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

I need 2 TKRs...sooner, rather than later. I need to lose 30 pounds to have a normal BMI. He is giving me 4 months to lose, but if I lose sooner, I can call. On my way home, I called Jenny Craig. I start tomorrow.
    May I start this thread for all of us that want/need support to lose weight in preparation for surgery? No need to post your weight, we can just root each other on for every pound lost. Anyone else in my boat?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: Just got back and a new thread for WL support

Nyland, very sorry they are making you go through weight loss to have your surgery. But there are lots of Smarties out there who will support you in your weight loss. We are with you!

PS: changed your thread title so you can get more support on your weight loss challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Thanks, Jaycey. I'm ok with it. I know that surgery is safer for those with a normal BMI. If losing 30 pounds will lessen infection and blood clots, why not, right? I should lose that extra 30 anyway. I think of it this way, I'll be able to walk and won't look bad. ;D

4. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Hey Nyland.

You don’t need jenny do it the same way as me and you will lose the weight easy.

I stopped eating red meat and fast food also processed foods. Eat fish or chicken and as many fresh vegs as you want and all ways cook using olive oil only. This one is the most important one portion sizes I went from a normal dinner plate to a 5 inch side plat and lost 60lbs in around 5 months.

Breakfast multigrain cereal

Sneak apple or orange

Lunch salad no meat just salad the best salad foods are the ones that are high in Faber such as beets, salary onions and so on also known as negative calories foods which mean the body takes more calories to process the food then calories in the food.

Dinner fish or chicken small amount veg’s as much as you want as long as it fits on a five inch plate
    This is important no bread no pasta and the main one DON’T EAT AFTER 6 PM if you feel hungry drink cold water or tea with no sugar and milk
    Hope this helps you
    Pegleg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Why thank you, Pegleg, and CONGRATULATIONS. Look at you! WOW! How do you feel? Are you ready for your upcoming surgery? Just 4 more days!

6. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

United States United States
    I would seek a new OS, just saying! A lot of us who need new knees are over weight because we simply can not do the things we use to that kept us fit. I think a lot of OS know this therefore they don't bring this subject up as a pre-requisite (spelling) to having knee replacement. I am 5 ft 5" and weigh 215 and my OS never mentioned weight loss because he knows this. I do wish you well in your weight loss, however I don't think a doctor should put that as a option. If you need new knees you need them now!

Best regards,
    Jacky

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Hi Jacky,
    Thanks so much for your support! So appreciated!

8. Ditzzeechick

Ditzzeechick Senior

Way to go, Pegleg, impressive weight loss! Good luck!

I'm 5'4" and went from 184-159 after my knees were replaced at the end of February. I'm sure it will be easier in your recovery if you lose weight prior to surgery. Your knee is going feel like it weighs 100 lbs after the surgery so I hope you find success with Jenny!

9. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Hi Bev,
    That's another reason I'm ok with it. It is in my best interest in so many ways.
    How are YOU doing today?
    Thanks a million!

10. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

I'm with Jacky! It's nonsense to make a person wait until they've lost a puny 30lbs before they let them be out of pain!

Just as a matter of interest, what is your current weight and height?

• Like Like x 2
  11. proskier

proskier Junior Member

Hi Nyland,

I decided to lose weight in hopes that my knees would last a little longer. I signed up for Jenny and was very successful, 40 lbs. in 5 months. I needed a no brainer diet. I lost 2-3 lbs. a week for the first month or so then 1-2. I liked the food and though a bit pricey it was worth. it--went from a size 16 to an 8-10. As for my knees, it helped a lot but not enough to avoid TKR. I had the first done on 3/13 and will be getting the other done on 4/8. I am back using a lot of Jenny meals as my husband isn't much of a cook and I don't have the energy and/or time to shop much. I've managed to keep the weight off, something that worried me as my activity level went way down. rehab is tough enough but I feel my smaller size is an advantage. I did a lot for weight training as well.

12. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I think you need to find another OS---it is silly to try to have you lose the weight right now.

I lost 40 pounds after my BTKR by cutting out carbs---I do not eat potatoes, rice or noodles; for breakfast I have an omelet made form Eggbeaters, ham and cheeses, and for lunch I have a spinach salad with tomatoes, carrots, almonds, etc.

For dinner, I have chicken, seafood, or lean beef with green vegies.

For a snack at night I have strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries with low-fat yogurt.

That being said---and my total cholesterol is 133---I go to the gym 3-4 times a week---but I reiterate, you should not have to lose the weight at this time; because of your arthritis, it is difficult for you to be as active as you would like---after the TKR, no problem, but now, I would find another OS!

• Like Like x 1
  13. newnee

newnee Graduate

I understand how you feel I too was told I had to lose weight before I could have the TKR. Since my knee was service connected I went through the VA and had to abide by their policies. I could not afford to through a civilian hospital at the time. I was trying to save money up so I could go to a civilian hospital if the VA fell through. I thought it was outrageous expecting me to lose weight when I could hardly get around. I agree with the others you should try to find an OS who looks at quality of life as the priority for determining when a TKR should be done not weight. Once we get back moving around we will start losing weight Good luck to you on your weight loss

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Thanks so much for all of the information and comments. I definitely listen and sometimes take a bit of time to digest. I'm thinking and considering.

Thanks everyone!

15. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

There's a lot more chat here: http://bonesmart.org/public_forum/weight-loss-and-exercise-t12207.html

I can't argue with your results, so fair play to you, but I take issue with one or two points. Most of what you say is spot on - no fast food, no processed food, no bread, no pasta, lots of fresh veg (any amount). I'd also bar or cut right down on rice and potatoes.

But IMO: Red meat is fine; portion size matters not at all for vegetables; calorie-negative foods and not eating in the evening are myths.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Thanks a million, Roy!

17. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada

Hi Roy,

You are right about rice and potatoes but in my mind you are wrong about not eating after 6pm and this is why I worked shifts before going on short term disability and my time for dinner would change the latest been 8pm and my weight was stuck at 165 but when I went onto short term disability and I stopped eating at around 6pm I lost another ten pounds and I am keeping the weight off
    On a second note for Nyland don’t stop eating what you like and do go out for meals but this is what a friend told me once have the most calories early for Breakfast for lunch eat less and dinner should be the smallest meal of the day and always drink plenty of water with your meals this will help fill you up and if you have had fatty foods drink hot tea this will help you get the grease out from your system
    The big one for me was that I stopped drinking beer.
    I hope this helps
    Pegleg

18. Roy Gardiner

Well we agree to differ on the eating in the evening, I've read stuff which calls it either way. What works is important, and it clearly works for you, good stuff.

You make IMO another critically important point 'don't stop eating what you like'. It must be recognised that what we are doing is not going on a temporary, arduous regime to lose some weight quickly, then returning to normal. What we are doing is changing our lives completely and permanently to have a more natural, sensible, healthy and enjoyable diet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phoenixx29

Phoenixx29 Senior

Hi Nyland,

count me in on your weight loss support thread! I have been trying to lose some weight myself, and I joined Weight Watchers last May, basically I knew then that my knees were starting to go completely and I thought that by losing weight it would put off my having to have an operation. Well, my plan worked up to a point in that I managed to lose about 30 pounds (without doing any exercise), and it certainly has helped with the pain and generally I am feeling a bit better. But I have now faced up to the inevitable that I need BTKR (provisionally scheduled for June/July).

I do need a kick up the backside though as lately I have not followed the plan properly, and every pound off helps. Ideally I want to lose another 60-70 pounds, and I hope that after the recovery it will get easier to shift.

BTW, my weight was not even discussed when I had my consultation last month - so you might want to take the advice to see another surgeon....

For me, WW is great as it encourages better eating habits and portion control (I have no restraint doing it on my own), and you can eat anything you want - as long as you point it. A no red meat / no bread / no chocolate diet would definitely not work for me. But then different diets work work different people.

I hope you get on well with Jenny Craig & good luck with your weight loss!

I will try to report back once a week and hope this helps get me back on track....:th_heehee:.

Oh - and well done to everyone above on their weight loss success!

20. Roy Gardiner

http://www.jennycraig.co.uk/mel-b-blog/join.aspx?gclid=CNr41MWysq8CFcYOfAodfQlCGA Forty pahnd a naffin' week!! Do me a favour!!

(Deeeeeeep breath, exhale)

You don't need to spend any money to identify a sensible diet. You do have to have willpower to cut out the real rubbish (I know of a guy who refused to cut out the three litres of full-fat Coke he drank every day. Still a fat basket) and then eat that sensible diet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.