Just getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

billynn

I've had 2 opinions that I need a TKR. I'm trying to decide on which OS and which knee to use. I had the miniscus removed in 1991 and now am totally bone on bone. I usually don't have pain all the time, but it hits me like a pin ball machine. And my leg is becoming deformed, which makes me limp more as time goes by. I'm trying to get this set up for October, 2011 and I want to donate my own blood.

Should I do special leg strengthning exercises before surgery?

Any specific questions I should ask the OS?

Any other info will be greatly appreciated.:hairpulling:

Billynn

Hi, Billynn....welcome to BoneSmart.

Your first order of business is to do some reading in the BoneSmart LIBRARY (tab at the top of every page). You'll find tons of information there about interviewing surgeons, preparing for the big day, and other important topics. Here is a thread to provide some tips on selecting the right surgeon.

Then I suggest that you also spend some time reading threads in the pre- and post-op forums too. I'm sure you will also receive plenty of input here on your thread from our BoneSmarties who have been there before you.

Here are some additional threads to get you started:

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Discussion on managing pain in TKR surgery
Using ice

It's never too late to get more ROM!
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

I'm calling both doctors tomorrow and asking questions before I decide.

Are specific brands of knee replacements discussed here? I haven't read any.

I'm really dreading the surgery and was hoping I could get by with a partial, but both docs say a TKR is the only thing to help me and I wouldn't be satisifed with the outcome of a partial.

I have severe drug allergies, so I'm worried about the antibiotics and also pain meds.

I am fortunate that I have a very caring family that will be available to help me.

I have to be up and going by December. My daughter is having her first baby and needs me in delivery. Especially since her husband almost passed out during the ultrasound.

We frequently have people mention various implants. But quite frankly, they all perform about the same once they are in. The more important thing is the skill of your surgeon. So it is VERY important to pick someone who does a LOT of replacements each year.....like 200 or more.

Did you read the thread I gave you in a previous post regarding selecting a surgeon? It has information you need.

Jamie is absolutely correct. There are many varieties of of knee implants manufactured by various companies, but all they all do the job just fine---there are no "Rolls Royces" in implants.

Your OS will pick the brand based on his familiarity with the brand and the model and size the is correct for your knee and for your lifestyle.

Jamie also makes a very, very significant point---pick an OS that does nothing basically but TKR's.

As for the PKR vs. the TKR---the surgery and the recovery are pretty much the same.

As for leg strengthening, you can work on your hamstrings and your quads; you also need to work on your upper body as well, as yo will be hoisting yourself around for a while while your TKR heals and your body recovers.

Please keep coming back and posting as to how you are doing and fire away with all of your questions. We will be here for you throughout the entire process.

Jamie...I read all of the info you posted for me and printed off the questions for the surgeons. I had already started a list.

I polled a bunch of nurses at a surgery center and they said to be sure the sugeon measured himself, not his tech.

Hi Billyn, I just happened upon this site too, I have have found great information here. I hope they put you more at ease with having a TKR. I am hoping in the not so distant future i will have on or to done. Take care....Sheryl:wink1:

I don't know if this has anything to do with what is "the norm" in OS discussions, but I didn't even have to ask my doctor how many replacements he did a year, because it was part of what he told me when we were discussing my options. He gave me a run-down of types of surgeries and said when he does replacements he likes [this brand] or [this type] and then ended that statement with "I do x-amount of [TKRs] a year..."

He was very thorough during our discussions, even answering questions I didn't realize I had till that point in time.

(my knee is a Biomet).

Welcome! I found this site when I was 6 months post op.

My OS chose the Stryker knee for me based on my desires to be active and my weight. Also, he has worked with Stryker consulting, but he does use others as well.

Good luck slowing me down now, despite finding other ways to injure myself...

Both OS are neck and neck. The one I'm leaning towards uses cement and I read that heals faster. He will also use a pain med pump if I prefer and the hospital stay is longer if necessary.

I have to make a final decision by 8/24/11.

I plan on donating my own blood and hope to have surgery on 10-24. That will be my 53rd birthday present to my self.

Have a grandbaby due in December and I have to be able to travel and help my baby girl with a baby boy.:dancy:

I have a tenative surgery date...October 24. It's a fine birthday present I'm giving myself.

I hope to be able to wait that long. If I fall and break another bone because of my knee going out, I will be real bummed.

Question - when my daughter had her ACL reconstuction, a muscle would not respond. The PT had to shock the muscle to make it work. Has anyone had to do that? She said she screamed in pain and others said in the office said they did not want to do that.

Billyn, that's an interesting question. I never heard of shocking the knee? All that comes to mind for me is a tens unit on there to help work the muscle, but that shouldn't be painful though?
I hop someone has some answers for you, until then take care and prep[are yourself for surgery, will be praying all goes well...Sheryl

There is a muscle stimulator but, as Sheryl said, it's not supposed to be painful.

Shouldn't be, and a good technician will stop before it gets painful. Although a bad patient might turn it up after the technician slips out... Yes, I'm a bad monkey and had to see what it took to my leg jump...

Zjfog, I thought I was the only one that did crazy stuff like that!!! It is kinda cool though!!! Thanks for the laugh!!

It didn't really 'HURT" until it was close to cramping. When they saw what I'd done, they made sure to not park the cart so close to my table. After that, I quit telling them how it felt as they turned it up. Instead, they watched for the first big twitches and backed off a couple... I was told, I'm not allowed to play it at "11"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie