July 18th LTKR..what a shocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine our highly experienced nurse & leader can translate the xray report for you and will likely have other good insights for you.

I'm feeling a bit better with my decision and am going ahead with the surgery. Went out with my GF's tonight and hashed it all out...my fears of rushing, etc etc. One of my friends is a podiatrist and she gave me some good questions to ask both the hospital and OS when I attend their classes. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I'm adding loose pj bottoms to my shopping list..my grand dot is going shopping with me tomorrow for my first "must get" clothes..should be fun.

@Lovestoread I ended up shopping at a local church's medical room and was able to borrow a few toilet seat risers, a 4 prong cane, collapsible walker and they also have some kind of ice machine thing for when I return home.

"I had periods of non-activity where my knee felt fine. I don't think this is a deciding factor. How does your knee perform under use? I had pain when walking and my knee was 'buckling', resulting in some bad falls. It was time."

@Gingiebot I had a cortisone shot I didn't think helped as I was worse off after the shot for about 10 days with feelings of buckling/pain..then miraculously in mid June I had a week free of pain whenever I put weight on my leg. Then back to intense pain and now here I am again almost pain free. I can walk up and down stairs with just the slightest amt of twinge whereas before I was "toddlering" up or down.

I have issues with many medications and wondering if prune juice and/or prunes would help with constipation instead of more drugs?

This experience is going to be a life changer for me in more ways than just fixing my knee. I think I'm going to be learning humility, patience and learning how to ask for help. Phew...lots to think about.

As to the anesthesia I'll be having a spinal. Thoughts?

Did any of you choose to be awake for your surgery??? Is that even an option? Although it might be nice to listen to some calming music with headphones..am I nuts to even think this? I can't even bring myself to watch a video of the procedure..so probably best that I am in la-la land for the duration.

Your knee will 'confuse you' with some periods of no pain. It just does. Then the pain comes back even more. Over time you restrict you world to a smaller and smaller space, doing less and less, until you realise you have to take action.

In the end you make decisions based on the information at hand. Sometimes you wonder if you are being pushed into a corner, but in the end you realise you have to be comfortable with change, serious change. And it can be a good thing.
Just making the decision to have a tkr has changed me from a grumpy old man to a bloke with a future. And other people around will notice this. The process is like therapy. Hopefully I will come out of this next week a better person as well, less short tempered, and just happier.

@harleysbud Prune juice worked great for my husband. Stoolsofteners did nothing for him.
My husband had a spinal, the choice was up to him and after being told the benefits vs the other the desided on the spinal. You aren't really awake during it, but one guy kind of woke up during the surgery be he said he didn't feel anything and he didn't care. I had spinal block for my 2 c-sections and was awake for both, but they didn't have power tools going, and weren't banging on me with a hammer, so I don't think you would want to be awake for your surgery.

A tiredwife...my thoughts exactly. Good to know about the prune juice. Do I need to start drinking that as soon as I start the pain medication so I am ahead of the constipation? Can I take that into the hospital with me?

@harleysbud they gave him stoolsofteners in the hospital that didn't do anything so he started the prune juice when he got home, they might have it at the hospital though. He drank 8 oz a day while he was on the narcotics.

The X-ray report is: Joint Line Narrowing Medial 40%; Patellofemoral. Sclerosis Medial Tibial Plateau and Patella. Moderate DJD.
Yep, that's bone-on-bone alright!
ow just a few days after that debilitating pain I am now able to put weight on it, can climb stairs and pretty much live my life with just a twinge every now and then. What the heck?? If I was bone on bone, would this not hurt at the same pain level, or close to it, all the time?
That is indeed how it works! I had barely any ongoing pain, just what I refer to as a 'stone in the shoe' pain which came and went erratically. Sometimes it lasted for an hour, sometimes for a week but I knew what caused it so let me share that with you.

Arthritis has the effect of making our joints crumble like an old concrete step.

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_arthritis.jpg

It breaks down, creating lots of grit and debris. Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all! Pain killers do nothing, nor do things like braces. We are just conscious of this horrible burning pain that all of a sudden goes away!

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_painfulkne.jpg
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_painfukdk.jpg

It's every bit as disabling as the constant bone-on-bone pain so many others suffer and is a very good indicator that a joint replacement is needed.

To assess your need for replacement, print off the form in this link, read the instructions and fill it in
Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee
I have issues with many medications and wondering if prune juice and/or prunes would help with constipation instead of more drugs?
Oh we have an absolutely wonderful list of recipes in here Constipation and stool softeners!

Stool softeners help with making going easier--the prunes etc help you go in the first place.
Since I'm still on the pain meds I eat lots of fruits (including dried apricots that come in the pouch so they're not really dry), drink lots and take stool softeners and it seems to work for me.

Yes I would think most hospitals have prune juice!

:flwrysmile:@Jozilla In Ireland prune juice would only be available in one or two of the larger supermarket chains and again maybe only 4-5 bottles in stock. Having been in several Irish hospitals over the years, have had to bring in my own prune juice, if they didn't have it on their breakfast menu.
It's strange, because canned prunes topped with custard is a classical old-fashion Irish Sunday dessert -at least with my Granny and Aunties.
The hospital that I will be attending for my TKR has prune juice as a breakfast juice choice, but not the rehab centre that I will be going to, so will bring my own supply there.

Well I stocked up on prunes, prune juice (i'm particular about my juice..as little sweetener as possible), some whole grain snack bars, lightweight cotton pj bottoms and tops, sneaker like shoes with no ties, rubbing alcohol to make my own slushy ice packs. Tomorrow I am making three different soups to stock up my freezer.

@Josephine...Thank you for your information..I had no idea about the "grit etc" and it makes perfect sense. I remember taking the first test at my worst I was an 8. Right now I'm 80. Either way, I am biting the bullet and getting the surgery. I thought I had woken up one day mysteriously healed! Ha! A week from tomorrow, I'll be on my way to recovery..gulp.

@marmora prunes aren't my favorite but topped with custard sounds great when I'm tired of just popping them..would that be Bird's custard powder? Or do you make your own?

@harleysbud make sure you stay hydrated, if you get dehydrated it can cause muscle pain. Sounds like you are getting ready. Hope you have an easy recovery!

@harleysbud this is what to do; tip a tin or half the tin of stewed prunes (in their own juice if possible /not prunes in syrup ) and top with warm Birds custard. Yummy !
If I was more like my Granny and Aunties it would be home made custard all the time, but only make that at Christmas time for the Sherry Trifle !

Welcome to the forum! We are glad that yo have found us and we will endeavor to help you out in any way that we can!

Now just a few days after that debilitating pain I am now able to put weight on it, can climb stairs and pretty much live my life with just a twinge every now and then. What the heck??
We have almost all had these situations where we begin to believe that the knee or knees are not as bad as we think them to be. We have had moments of hesitation ---"Am I rushing too fast into this?"

My answer is "No." The knee or knees will never get better, and they can get worse.

I have read all too often of a forum member, after they were fully recovered, write, "Why did I wait so long?" Many folks believe that you have to be in agony and be up for martyrdom before you should even contmeplate having your knee or knees replaced.

If I was bone on bone, would this not hurt at the same pain level, or close to it, all the time?
I was bone-on-bone and I had some days when I could not even tell that I had arthritis. Then, I had some days---and nights, too---where I had the worst knee pain imaginable.

BeforeI had the BTKR, I had X-Rays, MRI's, SynVisc shots (they worked all of three days!) and then cortisone shots---those got me about eight months of relief before my BTKR.

From whaat my OS told me, X-rays and an MRI give the OS an pretty good idea what is going on, but he really cannot tell until he opens you up.

Remember, life is to be enjoyed and to be savored---it is not to be merely endured!

@referee54..this is really new to me. I've only had about 6 weeks since I first saw my OS and only one cortisone shot later I find myself opting for major surgery. So I am really learning how these symptoms can vary. Thanks for sharing your experiences. After almost a month on the couch with leg elevated and iced, I'm looking forward to living life to the fullest again....of course after rehab!

My surgery for LTKR is scheduled for 7/29 and the right will be done later in the fall, good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise! I can just tell you that I agree with everything that has been written here. Good days, bad days and all that. I've been there and done that for well over 10 years now. It keeps progressing though and soon the bad days far outnumber the good days and then it is definitely time. I'm not the same person I was a year ago or 3 or 5 and definitely not 10 years ago. I spend incredible amounts of time sitting in my recliner. It's become impossible for me to do things I used to be able to do without a second thought. I've become a master at figuring out how to do things while sitting, LOL. I take lots of breaks off my feet. It was a hard decision to finally make because when I'm sitting, most of the time, I'm quite comfortable. But, on the other hand, a trip to the grocery store is torture, pure torture to me. I finally realized that my life is not all it could be. I'm only 55 and I have lots of living left to do. So, I finally pulled the trigger and I'm gettin' 'er done! I'm nervous about it. Not the surgery itself but the recovery. I'm not good at asking for help with things but I know I will have to. My hubby is a sweetie but he's no nurse. I don't know how those that live alone get through this recovery but somehow they all seem to manage. We'll be fine and in the end, I have faith that we too will be glad we did this. Be sure and post in the recovery thread after you are on the other side so we can follow your progress :) Good luck!

@harleysbud I agree with what everyone has said. I was in pain constantly with the right knee and knew I needed the surgery. My left knee is a different story. Some days I'll wake up and can't straighten it and then other days I don't feel a thing. I still question myself about my upcoming surgery, but when I mention it to my husband, he says "you need it". I guess when you live with it, sometimes you don't notice as much as those around you.
As far as clothes in the hospital, I brought loose fitting jogging shorts and tee shirts. I wore them during PT, otherwise the hospital wanted you to wear your hospital gown. I also bought night gowns instead of pj's. They were just easier.
Constipation has always been an on going problem for me so I was really worried how I would be with the meds. They gave me Miralax and stool softeners in the hospital. I continued taking them both when I got home in addition to prune juice. Another thing that really helps is drinking plenty of water.
Sending good thoughts! Anne

Ahhh yes, Miralax! It truly is a miracle. I suggest you get a large container of it asap. When I had a fairly major abdominal (which is a whole nuther thing when it comes to potty time) surgery a few years back, I got so bound up from the pain meds I couldn't even pee. It was horrible. Then I discovered Miralax. Just get (DO) it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Steveg63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom