It's about time I fix them!! BTKR Aug 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you have a lot of replies here, but I just wanted to say that we are so very similar. I am also getting this done, and my knee cap is on my bone. I also have arthritis and life just sometimes stinks with pain. I am happy for you and also understand your fear. Completely. I hope to follow you on your road to recovery as I will only be one month behind you :) Good luck.

Hi @Shmi47. Sorry for the delayed response but I was on vacation and just got home last night. Thanks for the response and I'm glad you will be following my recovery - it's helped me a lot to follow others! When is your surgery date??

I went in today for my pre-op testing at the hospital. It's made everything more real - that's for sure. I met with the anesthesiologist also - and got more information on the surgery. Now I'm just starting to feel stressed about getting the house clean and organized (a futile job I think in this house!).

The best news is that I bought a brand new very comfortable recliner. Of course, I decided I needed the matching sofa and loveseat too. :)

Less than three weeks to go until the surgery - seems crazy that it's this close - I scheduled it last April, and the time is just flying by.

Hi ijrfm. sorry for the delay in answering, I don't always check every day. I'm with you, it's getting very real and today pre-testing called for my appt. for next Monday. I also have my class that day. I too am looking around the house and seeing things that I need to take care of.
tiredwife thanks for the information, appreciate it.

@Crow22 For me, the class and pre-op is what made it real. As nervous as I am, I am also excited to get this done. I had a lot of problems with my knees on vacation - the worst was sitting on the plane. So painful. So let's just get this done :)

I'm with you @ljrfrm. Lets get it done! I too am looking forward to not having knee pain all the time. When I think of it, it's like wow, being free of the pain that has been our constant companion for so long. Seems like a miracle. I know there will be lots of work to do to get there, but I'm dedicated to kicking my osteoarthritis butt!! lol

@ljrfrm and @Crow22 I love your attitudes. My husband was so very tired of the pain, and then it got worse because both knees would give out on him. He was coming down a ladder at work and both knees gave out and he had to just stand there til he could walk again. At 7 weeks today, even if the new knee didn't get any better than it is today he would still be happy with it. His second one is the 6th of August, right now it hurts him worse than the new one.

@ljrfrm that happens, the keys on my computer stick so bad I don't know how I get anything typed, and often it dumps everything I type. Always blame it on your computer!

@Crow22 He is the typical overdoer but dispite that is doing really good, he has overdone it for the last 3 days so today I had to lay down the law and told him he is not doing anything today.

So, I had several things happen today that bring me closer to getting my new knees. This morning I went to my primary care doctor for my final medical clearance. Last week I went into the hospital for the pre-op testing, and the results were sent to him. I had a minor scare after I reviewed the test results last night and saw some abnormal things which I was worried pointed to an infection. Luckily, he felt I was fine (never try to be a medical doctor on your own time at home......unless you have a degree! It causes unnecessary worrying LOL). So, he will sign off his consent that medically, I'm good to go for the surgery.

We had an interesting conversation about rehab while I was there. He asked me which rehab facility I want to go to. I told him that my doctor wanted me to go right home, as he felt rehab wouldn't be necessary for me as I'm young, healthy and have my husband here to care for me. My doctor today told me that he would like to see me go to rehab and recommended a great one which is close by. He said that in his opinion and his experience shows that his patients that go to rehab first have a better outcome. It got me thinking so I ran it by my OS office today. They stand by their "the majority of our patients go home. You sleep better there and any rehab you need you can get from outpatient". They did say that they always take it case by case, so if something changes, it's something that would be discussed at the hospital. I'm fine coming home, just got a bit confused because I really trust my primary care doctor and he was firm in wanting me to go to rehab. Gets you thinking........

Later in the day I got a call from the OS office that my insurance has approved the surgery and a two day stay in the hospital. I think since I'm bilateral, my doctor plans for me to be there three days - but they would only start with two. Regardless, I now have the medical clearance and the insurance authorization, so I guess I'm good to go.

Oh - and the most important thing....My new recliner got delivered today (and the matching sofa and loveseat - yay!). It's comfortable and hopefully it will help me during my recovery. I think I'm just about good to go. (other than 15 million errands, cleaning the house, etc. etec.).

Last edited by a moderator:
@ljrfrm Great news! My husband didn't go to rehab, but he only had one done. I was here to care for him and he is doing great! Extension is a little off, but his leg was really bad before surgery. He is 8 weeks post from number 1 tomorrow and 2 weeks from his second. Remember, elevate means toes above the nose, so use extra pillows on your comfy new furniture!

@ljrfrm I would trust your OS. He knows what you need and has seen lots of knees come through his office. Everyone is different in their healing, but we are pretty young :) and healthy! I too am manifesting that I will be able to come right home, so I'm sending that good vibe out to you too! And hey, worse case scenario, we have to go to another facility for a few days.
I'm glad to hear that all is going well for you and you've got some new furniture to rest and recuperate in. Take care my bilateral sistah!

If you have your husband there to help I think your OS is probably right. Does your insurance approve a few home PT sessions and maybe a check by a home nurse?

@Crow22 I appreciate the good vides, some for you will be heading your way as well!!! We've got this!

@kneeper My OS says he likes his patients to go immediately to outpatient PT, so I have an appt there for the day after I get home. BUT, he's very clear that if I am not comfortable with that after the surgery, and need to do it at home, he will agree. I believe my insurance will cover it. His feeling though is that you get much more out of the outpatient PT.....plus, I have a feeling he knows it will get me moving. I have to admit, the thought of getting myself home from the hospital, and then back into the car and out to PT the next day is nervewracking. But, I know it will all work out. If I'm able to come home and meant to do so, I will. Same with PT. At least I'll keep telling myself that LOL.

My OS/insurance procedure is to do up to a couple of weeks at home and then move to outpatient. either way I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hi, Sorry for my delayed response. My surgery is September 5th. I am supposed to go to rehab, because I have so many stairs in my house. However, I have terrible insurance and the closest rehab is 15 miles away from my home, therefore, I would NEVER be able to see my kids. IN addition, they don't have a private room. So now, I am going to beg to go home. I can't imagine how on earth I am going to do this. I am already depressed. :sorry:
Back to the phone to see how much in home PT i can get.

How are you doing? You are getting really close. I also see that @Crow22 is also having bilateral. So we will all be in the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom