BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Intro and information knee fusion

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by pegleg, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Intro and information
    Hi all
    I had a knee fusion in 1998 at the NSRI for the first ten years I did not have any problems but now I have arthritis of the spine and they think it would be good to have the pin removed and a replacement knee put in. The pin was inserted through the knee joint and screwed together and two holding screws one in the lower leg and one in the upper femur.

The first operation is to have tissue expenders inserted to the thigh to stretch the skin so there will be room for the knee to bend.
    I am male age 52 and I have lost weight ready for the surgery around 60lbs.
    Also note I am no longer in the UK
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Pegleg

2. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

Just wanted to say hello and hope you find some information and experiences here that will help. Be sure to look through the post op pages as well as you might find a thread regarding someone that has gone through this. You could also do a Search with Fused Knee as the keyword and see what that turns up. Good luck!

3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

United States United States
  4. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Thank you every one for your advice the first operation is this coming monday at 8am this is for the tissue expanders

5. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi pegleg and welcome to BoneSmart. That will be quite a process, won't it? Can't say I've ever come across anyone have that exact procedure before but have certainly scrubbed for one or two conversions and, so far as I know, the patients did pretty well.

You got a Mayday nail in, right?

[​IMG]

6. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Dont know whats it called but here is an xray of it if it helps

Attached Files:

7. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi, pegleg...welcome to BoneSmart!

It sounds like you are beginning a new adventure. I hope you do continute to post about your progress. We have had a few members with knee fusions, but I cannot recall anyone who has been fused and then had a knee replacement. So....I'm looking forward to hearing how things go for you.

8. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Hi all,

I though I would keep you posted had the first operation on Monday to have the tissue expander fitted or the bag as I call it.

Its 7inch by 3inch and holds 500 mil of fluid when full.

Pegleg

Attached Files:

9. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Why am I in such pain today where they put the bag in and where the fill port is had to take some perk and staying off my feet

Andrew

10. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

Gosh! Andrew, I can't imagine why you're in such pain. Somehow I've always noticed that when the body is cut on and opened up and had things put in it----it just doesn't like it at all!!!! It makes you pay----and pain is usually the currancy the body extracts from you. Boy, the price we have to pay for a new knee.

Hope the perk and being off you feet gave you relief. Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care, and I'm really sorry that you've been in pain today.

11. newnee

newnee Graduate

Hi Andrew and welcome to BoneSmart
    It looks like you have a long journey ahead of you. I am sorry you are having pain. I am praying things get better for you. keep us posted on your progress

12. Josephine

Have they started expanding it yet?

In any case, it's not a particularly small device and it's a foreign body, so naturally it's going to be painful. Wait till they start expanding it! You'll be living with your Percocets in your pocket then!

And yes, that's the Mayday nail.

Mind you take it easy now. It's going to be tough for you.

13. wanttoride

wanttoride Senior

Hi Andrew! Thanks for posting on my thread...and I just finished reading yours. I had the "Wichita Nail" done for my fusion. I think it's similar to the one you have...just known by another name. You and I are similar in age (I'm 50). I'm only 9 weeks post-op from my fusion, but hoping that my back won't suffer too badly.
    I'll be very interested in how your TKR goes. Unfortunately, I had my fusion because of failed TKRs and RSD/CRPS. Bending caused severe pain, so after discussing the options, my OS and I felt it best to stop the movement in hopes the pain would also stop. So far...so good! Very minimal pain. I'm adjusting to life with a straight leg.
    What has your OS told you to expect after your TKR? Will you be in pain? Why did they end up fusing your leg back in '98 rather than doing a TKR at that time?

14. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Hi,
    At the time I had problems with my left knee the choice was the fusion or amputation they kept saying I was too young for a TKR. I was 38 at that time.
    When the fusion was done it stopped the pain and improved my life just the odd problems like flying (got DVT on long flights) getting in and out of the car and up and down the stairs down been the worse one for me.

I use to drive for a living so had to go back to school and got a degree in media tech and advanced electronics.

Now we are up to date so around two years ago I had some pain in my right knee and started with arthritis of the spine and when you only have the one good knee and it takes all the strain and pressure of day to day life you have to be very careful.

The back is very painful and stopping me from working but they say that they will not do anything with my back until they can improve my gait if they did my back first it would be too much strain on the back and could make it worse.
    So I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who [FONT=&quot]specializing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Reconstructive Lower Extremity and he said that he could rebuild the knee and he has given me a 50/50 chance of it working[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I know it’s going to be a long and very painful road ahead of me but if I can improve my mobility and pain in the long term I am for that.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I was also told by a DR that as you get older the fusion can cause other problems with your body.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All the best [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Andrew[/FONT]

15. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    The first fill is on the 2nd of May. Work wanted me to work while I was having the bag filled and I said no way. The Dr had all ready told me that it would be painful. But as luck happened I was put on disability with my back before hand. They also think I could be back at work 6 weeks after the TKR. What do you think? My own Dr thinks it could be 12 months

16. Josephine

Well whoever the dumbo is that is thinking you will return to work at 6 weeks obviously has NO idea what's involved! :DOH:
    I'm with your doctor who does know what he's talking about!

17. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    And that's not counting the time before the main surgery He said its 12 months after the main surgery

Andrew

18. wanttoride

wanttoride Senior

6 WEEKS??!!!!!! :hate-shocked: I'm with Jo....that's nuts!

Thanks for updating .....now I understand. You and I are similar, in that I didn't want amputation either. That was the extreme, and nope...not going there. If the fusion hadn't worked, then that would be the time to talk drastic measures. Whereas you have been given a 50/50 chance of this "working", what is going to happen (god forbid) if it fails? Would you have to go back to a fusion?
    I agree...climbing stairs, driving and just sitting have been things that I've had to modify. Not really a big deal...just have to adjust.

Did you have to get your shoe modified so that both legs were/are the same height after your fusion? I was also told that my back and hips are going to take some "abuse". Hopefully, the extra inch in my left shoe will help to balance me out. And I WILL be very careful about tripping and going too fast, that's for sure!
    You are very brave to have this reversed. I know you are probably at the end of your rope from the back pain, and I really hope that this TKR makes life easier for you. I'll be watching!

19. pegleg

pegleg Member

Canada Canada
    Hi Audrey,

I did have a shoe lift but I found out that I would trip over a chalk line so I just had good quality shoes like Cats. If it does not work they will redo the fusion again so nothing lost but pain. I have talked to people who had it done and theirs worked only one had a problem and that was more down to the surgeon.
    Have you seen this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IAZBvSXKvg

20. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Pegleg....interesting that before your fusion your doctors said you were too young for a TKR but not too young to have amputation as an option??? :DOH: Sheesh!!!!

I'm glad you have a more sensible medical team now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.