Insufficient medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're more than welcome. :THUMB:

Update:
Today I am 4 weeks post op (LTKR on 02 Feb 11) and I am certainly coping better with the increased medications. I overdid things at first because of a sense of euphoria that the pain was so much better! But that taught me that I HAVE to take things more slowly than I want to. (Hehehe! My partner says "So what's new?!!")

The Physiotherapist is happy with my progress and has added extra exercises to my home routine.

Unfortunately I have developed a suture abcess which became quite a nasty infection. It is getting better s-l-o-w-l-y with antibiotics. I am allergic to cephalosporins (preferred antibiotic for this issue according to my OS) and to penicillin. So I'm on clindomycin, which is working - but taking its time.

The infection has prevented me going back to hydrotherapy which is sad because I just LOVED my two sesssions before the infection took hold. SO nice to exercise and not feel the pain! Can't wait till the infection is fully gone so I can return to hydro . . .

Next week I return to work for 2 days. Not at all sure how I'll cope, but I do know that I'll get heaps of support from my work colleagues. I lecture to groups around the State, and these dates are set in concrete! So I HAVE to do it - even if I'm not really ready. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. . . .

I think my recovery this time is slower than last time (RTKR Dec 05) which is not really surprising considering I'm 5 years older. But I'm so very grateful to all the contributors here who are helping me place my experience in context. Whilst I would never want anyone to undergo suffering or discomfort, it IS reassuring to know I am not the "only one" undergoing these things.

And to the moderators, you guys and girls ROCK!!! SO much helpful advice and support - a million thanks to each of you.

You're very welcome. And do take some precautions when you do your lectures. But 4 weeks - wowee! That's pushing it! You are going to be seriously spaced out when you've done them. I hope they are not consecutive days!

Can you sit and put your leg on a stool while you do them? You must also take plenty of ice packs. I suggest you get some of those sports ice packs which you crush and get instant ice. I have some and they were invaluable when I went to a conference some months after my TKR. And,of course, don't forget your pain meds - you may feel like you don't want to take them but trust me, you'll regret it big time if you don't.

I think my recovery this time is slower than last time (RTKR Dec 05) which is not really surprising considering I'm 5 years older. But I'm so very grateful to all the contributors here who are helping me place my experience in context. Whilst I would never want anyone to undergo suffering or discomfort, it IS reassuring to know I am not the "only one" undergoing these things.

Age may have something to do with it, but I had a BTKR done, and my right one was always lagging behind my left one and giving me fits. Again...what is "normal" in a TKR? There is no "normal" when it comes to recovery---unfortunately, one knee does not necessarily recover like the other...

My best wishes to you as yo lecture..Josephine has some great ideas, and concur! Ice, elevate when you can, try to use a stool or a chair... pain meds too are a must. And thanks for the kudos---please remember that you are part of this family and that we are all here to help each other! Please keep us up-to-date as to how you are doing.

Thanks Josephine and Tim. I will certainly take your excellent advice Josephine. Hadn't thought about the sports ice packs but they are obviously a great idea when it is difficult to get actual ice.

I'm very fortunate in that I have a "support teacher" with me and these colleagues are very supportive and helpful so I know I'll be well looked after.

And the trainings have a day in between - thank goodness!!

Oh well that is a blessing. I was worried about you doing two days consecutively.

While you may be a tad sore and stiff, yo also have to remember that eventually this kind of uncomfortable feeling will diminish as you return to a life without pain. The pain and stiffness is due to surgery, and, as you recover, this will go bye-bye!

Try to ice and elevate so that you allow the knee to be as comfortable as it can be under the circumstances---try to rest as much as you can on those days in between.

Update!
I returned to work 4 weeks and 5 days after my operation. I had concluded 2 courses of antibiotic for my infection (caused by a suture abcess) and it appeared the infection was fully healed . . . .

The 2 work days (with one day off in the middle) went well, altho I did have quite a lot of pain after the first day (on my feet too much) and more on day 2 (altho I'd realised by now I needed to sit more often throughout the day).

The first few days after I returned home I was very tired and my knee HURT! I put this down to having returned to work early. I was disappointed because prior to working I had truly felt my pain was getting to the discomfort / ache stage, rather than pain.

By 4 days after the return home the pain was WORSE! And the knee hot and swollen. The suture line (already fully healed) was very very tender . . . Turned out to be Cellulitis. (see my other thread)

This necessitated 5 days in hospital on IV antibiotics and on returning home 2 days ago, a further course of the same antibiotic to be taken orally. The cellulitis is healing thank goodness.

The GOOD news is that today is the first day I have managed without ANY oxycontin or endone! Just paracetamoil with codeine, and straight paracetamol. I am now 6 weeks and 3 days since surgery.

I had a very quiet day - have to limit movement severely until the Cellulitis is completely recovered. So I may need stronger meds once again if I undertake a great deal of movement - but I'm hoping that by the time I'm allowed to get back to "normal activities" (another 4 days) I'll be able to manage without the stronger drugs.

I'm beginning to see that light at the end of the tunnel!! Thanks so much to everyone here for the great advice and excellent support.

Sorry to hear all you have been through. Please do take care of yourself and don't be in a hurry to rush back to the stress of work. Please let us know how you're doing and I'm really glad that things are getting better.

Enna, you have my sympathies with that cellulitis. I had it myself a few years back. From the toes all the way up to my groin! The leg was HUGE and a bright pink! And did it ever hurt when I stood up - it felt like it was a water balloon which was being filled to bursting point - which in effect it was, of course. I wouldn't go into hospital for IV treatment so I had endless massive amounts of antibiotics which made me feel really manky! It took 3 months to go away but would have been faster had I not wussed out of going into hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker