BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Incision pain/problems - Hip

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Shawnee, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnee

Shawnee Junior Member

With the hip replacements it seems there must be a pretty significant incision and I'm sure there is pain and/or stiffmess and tenderness there for a while.

How quickly after surgery do the pain/problems from just the incision disappear ?

What kind of medical things do you have to do to heal the incision?

:pzld:
    Many thanks All !!!

2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Obviously you are going to experience some pain and discomfort at the site of the incision. It is major surgery and lots of things are done to your bones and tissues in the procedure itself. Of course you are fast asleep and don't know all of that, but......you are left with the results afterwards....some pain, bruising and tenderness. But the great thing about THIS pain is that somehow it just feels different than what you had before the surgery. People describe it as a "healing pain" because you instinctively know that your body is making itself well again and the pain will lessen almost daily.

It's difficult to say exactly how long you will experience tenderness and pain. People heal at different rates. Everyone has different tolerances to pain. And a real key is that you are diligent with your pain meds, icing, and elevating your leg to reduce swelling. You will have pain for a while, but you should be pleasantly surprised at how comfortable you can be while healing.

3. JudyS

JudyS Alpha

Shawnee,
    I don't remember having to do anything to heal the incision. My doc used glue on mine so I could shower the next day, I think. I was lucky and had no bruising at all. I also don't remember any significant pain from the incision. I had a posterior approach and my incision is only about 5 inches as my doc does some of it under the skin only.
    judy

4. Shawnee

Shawnee Junior Member

Thanks All...

What condition determines whether the doctor will use an anterior or a posterior approach?
    What are the "pros and cons" of each ?

What other factors associated with the surgical procedure should I be asking about when I go to the OS monday ?

Many thanks ! :D

5. Texas

Texas Alpha

hey Shawnee Im a knee but please listen to others they will all help you with great advice. I hope you feel better soon........:)

6. trish.tx

trish.tx Junior Member

Evening Shawnee, Love your horse picture.

You asked about pain from hip incision, I was lucky the only pain that I had was the staples themselves and the pain of removing the staples . My incision never brusied or drained healed rather fast. So I consider myself very lucky. My incision is about 9" long looks good but even after much massaging, and oiling it still has a few bumps and ridges so I dont know how long it will take for this to go away. I also notice a numbness along the incision which my dr assures me this is normal and will take time to disappear.

Gods Blessings

7. kangaroo

kangaroo Graduate

Ok, the differences between posterior and anterior, according to my OS.
    My surgeon only uses the anterior approach so I can really comment on his methodology.
    1. a small incision (about 3 inches) , approximately where you place your hand on on your front jeans pocket.
    2.The minimally invasive....or muscle sparing approach doesn't slice through any muscles, so the initial recovery is quicker and the pain is less....I had very little pain, minimal. I suspect that anterior and posterior patients at 6 months would be comparable.
    3.As the incision is small, there is usually less blood loss
    4. Hospital stays are shorter than posterior approach (maybe 3 days)
    5. Technically more difficult than posterior approach

Bottom line is....whatever approach your OS, whom you are happy with uses is the way to go....the OS will be very experienced with His/her technique and its that experience that we pay a fortune for....

From the point of view of the incision, I found that the skin tissue around the cut was fairly numb feeling, and so the incision was not painful or tender....i suspect that is not typical. I did have one tiny spot which just didn't want to heal. It took about 5 weeks to heal this one little spot and it is still quite red in comparison to the rest of the incision. The important thing to ensure is that the wound stays clean and dry, in order to ensure that no infections set in....Incidentally I notice that Shawnee had staples....this is not necessarily the case for everyone....I didn't have staples...but then others do, its just up to the OS
    Rachel

8. Shawnee

Shawnee Junior Member

Thanks All !

The preliminary indication was that the OS I'm going to uses "minimum invasiveness" so probably the "anterior" method. Will find out tomorrow at the appt.
    Seems to me like there is no way to keep that part of the body from moving around so I was wondering how it was treated in order to heal quickly. I have been lucky with other surgeries or cuts in that it seems I heal from them fairly easily (knock on wood), but with some stinging sensation for a few days. Staples sound ghastly so I'll probably ask for glue or duct tape (or maybe Silvadene :D).

Trish... that horse belongs to a friend and had begun bucking in protest because my friend's saddle (at the time) was junk. In the photo I'm using a bareback pad w/o stirrups to convince her owner that the saddle was the problem.:doh:

9. Steph

Steph Graduate

Hope it all goes well with your appointment tomorrow Shawnee. I think that once you start moving around again after surgery, it actually helps it to heal quicker. Yes, it will be sore - everyones different in how long the soreness lasts, I still have occasional soreness when I have been really active at 10 weeks, but mostly I can't feel it at all. Plus sometimes I get a numbness in the area, but this can come and go.

I had 22 staples and had no pain from them at all, just felt a bit tight when I got to the point that they needed removing. It didn't hurt when they took them out either, just tickled a bit - but as I say we are all different - I have been very lucky in having very minimal discomfort, only one very small bruise about an inch in diameter and hardly any swelling to speak of.

Take care and keep us all posted

10. Nancyo

Nancyo Forum Advisor

Hello Shawnee,
    As you can tell there are alot of different ideas on surgical incision site. The bottom line is that it's true that everyone heals at a different rate and time. Trust your OS. He has done many, many of these surgeries and he knows his business.
    The numbness around the incision is because of the cut nerves...no help for that...we have nerve endings everywhere and when they are seperated the numbness is normal. They do regenerate for the most part, but this takes time.
    Keep the site clean and dry.... AFTER it's completely healed you can put some vitamin E oil on the incision site, work it in slowly by massage and this will help soften the scar.
    How badly you scar depends on you and your body's healing ability. Again, everyone does this in their own way. If you've had good luck in the past, then this incision should heal quickly and with less scaring just as you did before.
    We all have different pain levels, take your meds as prescribed. As I'm sure you know if the pain gets ahead of you...its difficult to play catch up. Remember how consistant you have to be with your horse when he's on Bute? Same thing. Horses have very low pain thresholds and it has to be managed for them or we get them into colic... once again...same thing. You don't need to be chompin' at the bit because your hurting especially when you start your PT. That's another paragraph and you'll get lots of advice for that later.
    You're doing great. You're thinking and planning ahead and I'm so proud that you've made this decision. You WILL be surprised at how the hip pain is GONE.
    It will be a surgical pain for a while, but it's different and your life will begin anew.
    Shiloe will feel the difference when you mount and settle because your no longer giving to that side. Ok.. I've blathered on long enough. I tend to do that...This surgery is just so great that I can't say enough good about it.
    You'll be ready to cowboy up in no time!
    Blessings my Horsey Friend...
    Nancyo

11. geo1

geo1 Junior Member

Shawnee, aren't we lucky to have this site. I had the anterior TRH 4/21 with the tape over incision so that I showered as soon as I got home from my 2 days in hospital. Today all is good, some soreness in the thigh below incision and sometimes numbness. But I can do sooooo much now as opposed to before the surgery.
    Hope all goes well. You and your OS will make the right decision.

12. Shawnee

Shawnee Junior Member

NancyO, Steph Geo et al...

Am not too worried about my pain threshold as it is usually pretty good. Real problem is I have zero patience with not being able to do things.:hissy:
    I have learned (the hard way) that pain - even though bearable - is Nature's way of telling me to not be an idiot for a change. I don't want to do anything to slow up the recovery process because, as mentioned, my Patience is always running on Empty anyway.

You're right Geo... this forum has been a Godsend to me and I haven't even gotten to the OS yet !

13. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Shawnee, if your OS is like most, he will appreciate that you have taken the time to gain some knowledge about the process and that you have specific detailed questions for him. My experience has been that doctors for the most part love that their patients have "boned up" (GROAN....couldn't resist the pun) on their problems and the upcoming surgery to fix it.

14. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey ho! Looks like I'm redundant again! :zzz:

Seriously, you are going to do great, Shawnee, because you're getting prepared mentally as well as practically. Two things I would add ....

1. Surgeons choose the approach (and therefore incision) according to what they've been accustomed to doing. Wouldn't really want it any other way, would we?

2. You're going to have to learn how to be patient pdq as you'll find a couple or three weeks at least you'll be fit for nothing except watching TV and sleeping! Don't rush into doing housework, or cooking or anything else. You're off that for at least a month, ok? OK?? [​IMG]

Remember why they called us patients? Because we had to learn to be patient!

15. Shawnee

Shawnee Junior Member

Gotcha Jo ! And don't worry... anyone who visited me would assure you that cooking and housework are in absolutely no danger of being rushed into at my house.:blush:

TV for a month ????? Ugh. I'm going to have to put a chaise lounge in Shiloh's paddock.:thmb:

16. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Could think of worse things to do! I expect he'd probably be better company than the TV!

17. tahoe1009

tahoe1009 Member

They gave me a spray to clean my incision daily (some antiseptic). I had the posterior approach and was closed up with staples. In PT my therapist massages the incision at each visit since it closed up -- to prevent scar tissue build up and to torture me!! I assure you this is no fun massage. That was it and it has healed up rather nicely.

18. loghaula

loghaula Member

If you go to the "Badges of Honor" thread, you will see lots of pics of members' scars. Plan on adding my two in a couple of days as I go for my post op tomorrow and will get the last pieces of tape removed from the scar site.
    I had posteriors, and they are only about 4" long, no staples and came home with just tape over. Was able to shower after 3 days.
    Pain no problem at the incision sites.
    Get stuff rounded up to keep yourself occupied as you are going to have to be patient; believe me, your hip has the last say on that subject:p.

Glenys
    LHR 5/28/09
    RHR 7/23/09

19. JudyS

JudyS Alpha

I also do not like housework or cooking!!! The first 2 weeks I was amazingly good and never even got dressed!!! I am one that does not like TV or sitting , but I really really wanted to heal properly. You will do the same. Just take the pain meds on time, they make you sleepy and take naps!!!
    judy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.