Incision Bleeding at almost 4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZgirl

Dear Bonesmarties,

Yesterday (Saturday) I woke up with bleeding from my incision (it was from a spot about the size of a pencil eraser). It is still doing it a very small amount today.
It was hard to know what to do over the weekend, so I called the 24 hour nurseline from my insurance company and she said to wash it in mild unscented soap, and put on Neosporin. I had expected my incision to be scabs and to be closed by now. My therapist on Friday had been aggressive with pushing on my knee by the therapist and bending it by her to the point of pain. Is this what caused it? Should I tell them to dial it back--I don't want to get an infection. The knee doesn't hurt especially now and isn't any pinker or swollen than usual. What was your experience with your incision?

Bridget

hey Bridget I would call your OS in the morning be sure dont just take what she said she cant see it in mot saying shes wrong but at 4 weeks i wouldnt think it should bleed. But just relax and call first thing in the morning........Its possible i guess with pulling etc it just came open a tiny bit but i would want to make sure.........please let us know and keep it clean ...........feel better

Hi AZgirl!

I had a stitch break through more than 6 weeks after my surgery. My OS put me on antibiotics for a few days to prevent infection and it healed up just fine. It was really only a hicup--nothing serious--but you do want to take care and not let it get out of hand.

Blessings,
Irene

Good advice! If in doubt.....check it out!!:sct:

Hi,
I had a TKR almost 4 weeks ago. I fortunately had my incision heal very well with no bleeding at all. Even the removal of the staples was didn't hurt. So hang in there. Forums are great for people to really know more about what goes on.

Are you able to walk with a cane or walker yet? Have you been on a stationary bike yet? So far I have been on a stationary bike twice. It's not easy but have to do it. My walking is pretty good and can walk about 1/4 mile without a cane or walker.

Ice is important. Please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Les

Don't get it wet if it's open.

I wonder why they still recommend Neosporin? So many people are allergic to the neomycin in it, up to 25% I've heard. Polysporin doesn't have that so it's probably a better idea.

Are you taking vitamin C? It's good for healing and forming scar and connective tissue.

Pat

Bridget,

Do call your OS tomorrow. Neosporin will also cause the skin to soften and turn to mush if used for too long. I had this happen to me following surgery to remove a skin cancer. It caused the skin to soften and the stitches pulled through after a week of use. Doc told me not to use neosporin for more than a couple of days.

Bridget,
Please DO NOT put Neosporin on your knee. It is a fact, as Pat has already stated, 25% of the population is allergic to it. I wish they would pull it off the market.

Dry dressing and call your OS ASAP. Positively NO additives.

It's probably just either a very superficial infection - NOTHING to worry about in the round but needs dealing with, or a little haematoma (same thing) possibly caused by the OTT stretching. So tell your PT this has happened and he should go easy on it. If he doesn't make sure he does!

Thanks everyone for your good advice. I received a call back from my OS office this morning and they told me to keep it clean and use peroxide on it twice a day, which they said would keep bacteria out and dry it out.

Other than that things are going OK for me a 4 weeks tomorrow. It doesn't bend real far but I think I get up to 100 at least sometimes. My walking is the best part. I don't even need my cane--it feels very steady, but I take it when I go out just to be safe. Pain has not been bad the last week or two also.

Bridget

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO