Core Decompression I'm so stressed and worry, anyone here that can help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratehip

Hi everybody.. I had hip surgery 7 months ago. It wasn't a hip replacement cause my Dr. said I'm too young so it (name) decompression of the bone and he took some live bone from the pelvis to put inside my left femur head (I have avascular necrosis).

So all this time I have been in severe pain and walking with crutches and right now with a cane. My muscles became weak and just recently I start to see some improvement. But my real problem is that the PT that I was seeing is telling me that my leg is longer which the Dr disagreed with by doing some XR. He said that my abductor muscles are contracted. Now me personally don't agree with that cause I can move my leg in and out and I think if the muscles are contracted it suppose to be shorter and not longer.

So I look for a next opinion who tells me I have a pelvic tilted because the position of my body adopt trying to feel less pain. That makes more sense to me!

But still I would like to know about persons with any experience that can help me or give me any advice. I'm so desperate and I am wondering if it goes back to normal. I have like 3 cm difference. I appreciate any advice thanks!!

@Jamie:
@Josephine:

Hi Frustrated,
I hope I'm doing this right. I've tagged two people who can respond to your concerns. I'm hoping Jamie will move this post to the appropriate hip forum, where more people will see it. And Josephine can help sort through your concerns. I'm sure others will be along to offer the benefit of their own experiences. My hip replacement was for very ordinary reasons with no problems afterward, so I can't offer anything except sympathy. But be patient...others will have more to say.

Sharon

Hi there frustrated and welcome to BoneSmart. What you had is called a core decompression or CD for short.

Also, what you are describing is very much typical of the recovery from this surgery. It's a painful procedure and takes a long old time to recover from.

What both doctors said is correct if you think about it. The second one said you have a tilted pelvis which is very common. But when a person tilts their pelvis, they have to contract the muscles in order to pull it up one side, usually the good side. This makes it seem as if the other leg is longer than the other one when in actual fact, it's that the good leg seems shorter! So when your first doctor said the muscles are contracted, he meant the muscles on the good side! So you are right and he was right and your second opinion was right! Okay? But it's not a permanent situation and will even out eventually, it can take over a year to settle. Your PT is obviously inexperienced in this procedure as she should have known this and clearly didn't.

After CD, it can take many months for everything to settle down, especially as he took bone from that hip as well. It all adds to the pain and discomfort and everything. So don't be depressed about that.

My advice is that you continue taking your pain meds as prescribed by your doctor and rest as well as exercise.

Hi, frustratehip....welcome to BoneSmart! I have moved your thread to the hip recovery forum. Sharon is correct that it will see more responses this way.

@Josephine: I'm also retagging Josephine, our forum nurse, so that she can comment on your questions. Having a tilted pelvis is very common for folks with a bad hip. It takes time for your body to adjust after a hip replacement. Since you had a core decompression instead, I am not sure what you can expent in terms of adjustment as you recover. Jo will be able to provide information, though.

Whoops!!!! I see Jo and I were writing at the same time!!!:th_heehee:

Are you taking any medication to treat the pain? Have you tried icing your hip wherever it hurts? The surgeries that I had before my THR were very painful for months afterwards. I found that I tended to twist my spine and tilt my pelvis and do other things to try to decrease the pain. Those things really don't help and can create other problems elsewhere in your body. So I think your legs might start to feel more even if you can find a good way to decrease your pain.

Good luck with your continued recovery. There are lots of helpful, supportive people here, so I hope you'll keep writing here.

Thank you all for the responses... I took a while to reply because I also have a young baby(15 months) that keep me really busy and that is my biggest reason to get better.

Well Josephine. I forget to mention this before: when the Dr that did my surgery told me about the contracted muscle, I make sure to ask him again which side and he repeated that is in the bad leg. That's why it doesn't make any sense for me, because I thought it was how you explained.

Another thing is that he never told me how this process would be or the time that is taking. He said in 12 weeks I would be able to walk and do all my activities and if the surgery doesn't work I'm not going to get worse than how I was then. My point is that now I can't get any more pt cause my insurance doesn't cover me after 6 months and I don't know what to do.

Actually I'm not even taken any medication for pain and now my back is killing me too, is so frustrating!!!

I do think if you're still having pain, you need to be taking something for it. Is there some reason you aren't doing this?

I see that you are from the Caymen Islands. Did you have your surgery done there?

Oh Frustratehip, I am so sorry for you, what a dreadful time you are having with such a little one as well. I notice that Jamie is viewing your thread so I am sure she will provide some excellent advice.

No wonder you are frustrated.. it is hard to say recovery from a CD surgery takes time and patience as I understand how wearing that can be.

You mentioned you are not taking any pain meds, is that because you don't need them for the hip?

I will pop by again, but hang in there sweetie, you have much to look forward to with a 15 month old toddler - better days ahead, soon we wish for you xx

Another thing is that he never told me how this process would be or the time that is taking. He said in 12 weeks I would be able to walk and do all my activities and if the surgery doesn't work I'm not going to get worse than how I was then.
That was very unfair of him. CD is an extremely painful procedure and takes a long time to recovery from.
My point is that now I can't get any more pt cause my insurance doesn't cover me after 6 months and I don't know what to do.
Well, I don't know what to suggest about your insurance but it's perfectly possible to do the PT on your own. Have a look in this thread and follow the instructions in there Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Actually I'm not even taken any medication for pain and now my back is killing me too, is so frustrating!!!
Why aren't you taking pain meds? You need them - badly! Like I said, this is a very painful procedure and you will probably need good pain pills for some more weeks yet.

Do you have a personal doctor you can go to? I think you need to get him to look after you if you can't go back to your surgeon on account of the insurance.

Oh frustratehip, what a torrid time you are having, sorry I haven't much to add except come and chat anytime we are here to listen and encourage :)

I have had a CD. Unfortunately I do not have much positive to tell you about it :( I am so sorry. If you would like to discuss it more I'd be happy to, I just want to warn you I do not have anything nice to say about it. I am praying it will turn out better for you than it did for me. You are in my thoughts.
xoxoxo,
Linda.

Hi again.. I reply for mistake to Josephine email I just click to answer and I though it will posted in the forum but as I said before I so grateful with all you for the good vibes and symphaty
To jamie yes I had the surgery in cayman island and unfortunately the pain killer that dr prescribe for me give me a bad reaction and honestly i don't have so much trust to go back to him, I'm trying to find another dr but here is difficult, I'm contemplating go back to my country( Cuba) but over there is hard too.. Right now I'm just going with the flow I trust myself to God and see what is next, but I'm doing much better :thumb:
To lindawalm I'm sorry about what happen to you and of course I would like to meet you and chat anytime!!
Thank you again I will be in touch every time I have a chance
Xoxoxoxoxox

Thing about pain meds is that there are a lot to choose from! Which one was it you had a bad reaction to? If you don't tell me that, I cannot help you. But you need something.

While we are trying to address this, have you tried paracetamol (also known as Tylenol or acetaminophen)? You need to take 1,000mg four times a day. It might help a little.

And it's okay about the email - I just wanted to make sure your reply got to the right place!

Hey, sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I have a 16 month old little boy and was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis late in 2011. I had core decompression in December and like you my surgeon suggested I would be up and about after a few weeks. I ended up on crutches for 12 weeks with a small baby and am in as much pain now as I was before. My lower back is also incredibly painful and I feel at the end of my tether some days. Sorry, that probably doesn't help you and isn't very positive. But just wanted to say that I hope things ease for you soon and stay strong for yourself and your little one. I too try not to take pain meds. Some make me sleepy and whilst I was given coedine to take I am frightened of becoming addicted to it. xx

Hi frustratehip,

When I was 21 I was diagnosed with avascular necrossis (AVN) and had bone graph done - I believe similar to your procedure. I was on crutches the full summer, however it didn't last and had my right hip THR 3 years later. It made a world of difference - I got back into playing sports and doing whatever I wanted again.

Several years ago it was discovered that AVN was in my left hip - I had it replaced April 19/12 . . . a month ago. I'm still recovering from the surgery and will be off work until July (no golf or baseball until August).

One of the challenges is that for the last several years my pelvis was tilted and my muscles, and who gate was out of whack to compensate for the pain in the left hip. So now that my pelvis is level, I'm having to learn to walk again - it feel odd because my body (hips/legs) are balanced.

It takes a while for the body to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back