I'm first - I'm a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

navyvet92

graduate
Tomorrow morning at this time ill be laying on a hospital bed waiting to be rolled into surgery, im first on the list and i know ill be a mess afterall i have been up all night AGAIN and im even more of a mess now , i hope to god they give me a sedative otherwise i seriously dont think ill be able to hang in there, i know thousands of people everyday have this kind of hip surgery and its performed without a hitch yet im not like most people im a pretty sensitive guy who is afraid of the unknown , like all of us right, and i dont like to relinquish control to anyone however tomorrow i have to turn it over to the powers that be and pray things go well, i do know that i have not come this far in life to lose my life as a result of hip surgery ...:sigh: i know the best lies in front of me and regardless of how im feeling now emotionally i will be feeling so much better pyhsically when im out of surgery, so i have pretty much 12 hours to think about my new hip and a new life i only think i know about because my old life of limping around ends tomorrow, please say a prayer for this irishman who is filled with fear and lots of apprehension because i will certainly need it...:wink1:

Re: i'm first - im a mess

Hi Rich

Just to let you know that we will be waiting for you on the post op side.

You will be fine, we understand how you are feeling, because we have all felt the same emotions....

Giving up control, having to trust the medical team, feeling anxious and nervous..

That is why I can say that you will be fine, because I felt all of those emotions and more!

And I survived and so will you!

Chat with you soon - sunshine!

Its so hard for me to even go through with this and have to allow myself to give up the control however what are my options you know, it stinks it really does, i cant get it out of my head , i know i am not going to lose my life but you know what they say " stuff happens" and i dont want to become a statistic , and doctors bury their mistakes Sandy and i would hate to leave my wife behind all alone , i say on one breath i dont wanna die yet in the other breath i will get through it because i am so stubborn...!!!:what:

You bet you will get through it Rich.. and I can honestly tell you from personal experience that you will not die!

Look at my signature.. I didn't die :)

I dont know anymore the closer i get the more doubtful i become when it comes to the procedure as far as the making it to the recovery room im not even worried at all about the surgeon cutting me open im more concerned with the anesthisiologist messing up and my not knowing about it because if you think about it , if he makes a mistake ill never know about it ,and my days are over i know i know know i wont die you tell me but until i go through this on my own im not going to know what it was like...i cant shake the fear any more then i can shake the time off the clock if that makes any sense to you...!!!!

Yes, everything you are saying makes perfect sense to me because I felt the same way... and I have to go through it again with the other hip, so even though I know the process, I will still have the same demons to fight.

We are here for you Rich... hang in there buddy :)

I wish i could tell you how scared i really am but you're not allowed to say certain things on here , so i wont, im deathly afraid of dying , if that tells you of what im going through right now im a mess only begins to expalin how im feeling i hope they give me a sedative when i arrive because it will take my mind off the surgery and relax me otherwise my blood pressure will be through the roof ...

Yes, absolutely Rich. As soon as you get there you tell them straight away that you are anxious and they will definitely give you something to ease the anxiety.
Your medical team don't want you anxious.. This is normal.

I'm going to let my wife do the talking because i will be filled with so much emotion that if i open my mouth ill start crying and i wont be able to get the words out , plus lisa is good at that stuff , she has no problem with it anyway , i have to tell you my wife is THE BEST i dont know what i did in this world to deserve her , she is amazing in soooo many ways i love her with all of me and more , she comepletes me she really does i dont know where i would be without her i would be nothing if it wasnt for her thats why im so afraid of losing her if i should die and im not trying to be dramatic im dead serious if i was single that would be one thing but i have so much to live for losing her would ruin me but then again if i should not wake up tomorrow i would never know it...

Rich, I feel the same about my John.... I often tell him that he completes me!

I have to go now, so I will tag Jo and Jaycey and they will pop by and checkin with you.

Lots of love and big hugs for Lisa...

@Josephine: @Jaycey:

Hi Jo and Jaycey, I have kept our Rich company for a little bit, but I have to turn in now.....

Good night all xoxoxoxoxx

Rich, you are not going to die and you will make it through this journey! You are young and recovery will be much easier for you. Just keep focusing on that new hip and how wonderful it will be to take a walk with your lovely wife and not have to sit down every 5 minutes due to the pain!

Are you on crutches now? If not try and get some before you leave the hospital. You may be one of those that handles a walker quite well. I couldn't stand the thing so graduated to crutches immediately.

No im not on crutches im told by the nurses its in the computer in the notes that im getting a walker they dont reccomend crutches , i dont know why im such a mess i guess its the unknown is why its doing this to me, i am really healthy i was told by the nurse practioner i have no lung or cardiac issues so i have that going for me im only 43 yet im worried sick ...who knows maybe you're right my recovery will probably be uneventful...i sure hope so...!!!!

Believe me if there were any issues with your health you would not be having surgery tomorrow. I sure wish I had had my THR as your age! So much easier when you don't have all the issues from walking around all wrong for decades!

i think my lot in life was to suffer because i hate dealing with this i really do i wish i could be candid on here thats how frustrated i am ...

I know it seems like the end of the world is coming but when you wake up post op those dark gray clouds of the evil pain will be parted and a new sunshine will shine down on you. :thumb::wink1:

Hi Rich,
I was 42 when I had my THR. I had 3 anesthetists, with one being the main one. They were all lovely and chatted to me to reassure me that all would be fine. When you arrive at the Hospital you will meet the anesthetist who will explain everything and you or your wife can tell him/her about your anxiety. They will Definately give you something to help.

I also was first on the list and it gives you less time to worry. Also one of the operarating staff chatted to me prior to going in for the op. He was keeping me calm and we talked about work or anything you want to.

We were literally the same age and healthy and I survived and so will you.

Look forward to hearing from you on the other side and you can tell us all about it.

Sending you positive vibes.

Jyoti :)

Of course its true! My 1st THR I couldnt BELIEVE "IT" was gone. I was sooo thrilled I could've probably jumped off the the bed and did a jig (but as we know the legs were not working yet because of the epidural:th_heehee:), so that didnt happen.

Truly like a dream waking up in post op, its really a miracle!

I wish i could tell you how scared i really am but you're not allowed to say certain things on here , so i wont, .... i really do i wish i could be candid on here thats how frustrated i am ...
Who told you you can't be candid? I certainly haven't said anything like that (apart from using bad language of course! :wink1:).

Thing is, we can tell you till the cows come home how it's a routine procedure and these doctors are doing it all the time, that it's just another day at the office for them. But it isn't for you! This is a once in a life-time, life-altering, major, cataclysmic event for you. I know that because it was for me too and for everyone else that has it done.

Only thing I can say is that even before I had any surgery, I always remembered it wasn't just a routine thing for the patient and that they were scared out of their pants about it! And so will the people who look after you tomorrow know that. Everyone comes to theatre scared witless and shakes, cries and feels sick with nerves. Absolutely everyone. All you need to do is tell them and they will know and understand 100%. I'm betting they will know even before you tell them - we have instincts about that, you know! :wink1:

Rich
I'm with Haldox on this one! It truly is miraculous to experience NO bone on bone pain after hip replacement surgery!!! And I had the BOB going on in both hips for quite a long time before the surgery. Getting out of bed the first time I had trouble getting the legs out of bed - they felt like they each weighed about 80lbs - and I was wobbly and a bit woozy - and I anticipated the hips feeling like they did before surgery. But once on my feet and taking a step or two - the nurse helping me said my face lit up like a Christmas tree :th_heehee: Now 4 months later I smile every day getting out of bed - I smile :biggrin: going down stairs - walking down the side walk, driving my car, getting together with friends, leaning over to pet my kitties, sitting and watching TV - friends tell me I look 10 years younger without the pain lines in my face - I predict that we will hear similar reports from you by this time in August (if not before)!

Years ago when I was in college a professor was lecturing about anxiety - he said research had shown that folks could not be anxious - it was physiologically impossible according to said professor - under 3 circumstances - when they were eating, when having an orgasm, and when laughing. Now tomorrow before surgery options 1 and 2 will be off the "menu" - so I suggest you find things that make you laugh :hysterical: - giggles, guffaws, belly laughs, wicked pun groans - laughter gets the endorphins flowing - natures own powerful anti-pain and anti-anxiety substance. Quip with the nurse - see if you can get him or her to grin or laugh - have your wife whisper a dirty joke in your ear before you're wheeled off to surgery.

And remember your OS, his assistant(s), the anesthesiologist, the nurses are all highly trained, highly experienced professionals! They ALL love to succeed - they treat each patient as being the most important person! They are there FOR you - it is their reason for being - to make your hip stop hurting and make sure - very very very sure - that you are treated well and that there are no complications at all - surgical folks and anesthesiologists hate complications!

Plus you have your dear wife at your side being your advocate! AND you have all of us here sending up prayers on your behalf and sending out good vibes for you - we've got your back, friend. And we expect to see drugged up ramblings, funny typos, and lengthy reports regaling us with your adventures in hospital by Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom