I'm counting on you

Status
Not open for further replies.

michshea

Yep. I am trusting that all that I've read here is going to lead me to a full ROM sometime in the next few months.
First.....I'm on day 16 and thrilled with my progress. I started with a knee that hasn't seen full extension or flexion past 100 in the last 45 years. The evening of my surgery, the nurses and PT had me up ( with a walker ) and flexing to 110. I haven't been able to get past 100 since. I dropped back to 80 for a few days and am now moving forward. I read everything on bonesmart, and have found this site to be extremely helpful. The concept of "pain-no gain" is SO TRUE!!!
ON day 16, I find that my gait is almost normal, the pain is slowly subsiding, and I am starting to find myself doing things that I've not been able to do for 4 decades.
The info that I've gleaned here regarding use of meds, approach to PT and the mental approach to recovery have been priceless.
I just want to say " thank you" bonesmarters

It sounds like you are doing wonderfully! I have no doubt that you will continue to gain ROM as you recover and reclaim activity in your life.

Isn't it great to do things that we once thought either to be too painful or too physically demanding? That is what life is all about---and now you are getting the real opportunity to live it the way it should be lived.

Please keep posting and let us know how things are continuing to go for you!

What a wonderful report!!! As you probably know from reading here, it's quite normal to have some steps backward with ROM as you become more active. It could happen again. But if you steadily work on reducing the swelling, your movement will come shining through. I hope you are soon doing all those things that a couple of months ago were just a memory!!!

Please continue to let us know how you're doing!

Yep--there is the "roller coaster" Sometimes we make great progress---some days---for no known reason, our knees go on strike for a while and we regress. Don't worry---keep looking forward---you are dong great and will survie any little issues with poise and wisdom.

I am so glad you benefited from the posts in here. Just makes my day! :thumb:

Wow michshea you are doing great and it will only get better! You are only at day 16 so please remember that their will be good and bad days, so make sure you rest, ice, elevate and take your pain meds. Keep up the good work. Isn't it great to do things that you haven't done in years!:thumb:

Excellent progress, Michshea!

I'm two days behind you. Or, three years ahead of you! My left knee was replaced in May 2008. One thing I learned from that rather bad recovery is that ROM just keeps coming over time. It was a slow starter due to a blood clot right at the back of the knee. It took a couple of months to hit 90, six to hit 120. I continued on with my life which consists of a lot of walking and some stairs/high steps. Now it's a bit over 150!

I'm having great progress with the newest knee which makes me realize how hard my first TKR really was. It sounds like you're definitely off to a good start! Just keep resting when you need to rest, ice and elevate several times each day, take your pain meds on schedule until your knee itself tells you to cut down, do your exercises but not to the point of bad pain and (my own personal advice) ... go for walks as much as you can bear them.

Best of luck!

--Jackie

Wow - great to hear your good news! So glad this forum has helped you in this journey.

I do hope you will continue to update us on your progress!

Don't sweat the "ROM" thing, it'll come.
Much bigger issues to be concerned about than that, as you'll see.
That is the PT's thing, as soon as they get you to where they think that you should be at ROM wise, they cut you loose.
That's what the insurance companies think about I guess.
I wish that one would be "healed" when one gets the desired "ROM,"
but unfortuantely that is not the case.
Just give it time, and don't push yourself any more than you can stand it.

ROM will come, and you will find it returning slowly. Stop concentrating as much on the numbers, but by what you are able to do.
I found the bike most effective for gaining ROM. I just kept lowering the seat until I could barely get the pedals around becoause the seat was too low!!!
Thanks for your uplifting post.
Sandy

I will stress that you take things easy and clear new things with your OS. I have done that at nearly every step and have been cleared to do almost anything I want to. (I'm not sure they approved me to jump off ATVs, but it is what it s...) I did manage to hurt my other knee and my heel. The new knee is fine. Basically, just be careful as you ramp up activities.

Well, it's 3 weeks today. Walking around a supermarket last night, I realized that I was NOT limping! Pain has subsided to where I might take meds just before I go to the gym, and none the rest of the day. I start my out-patient PT tomorrow. I continue to read everything here on Bonesmart every day. I am sorry to read about the setbacks some of you have had. Just don't give up. I am trusting the info here will help through any rough spots in my own recovery.
18 months ago I tore my quad tendon completely off my left knee while jumping off a low wall. Laid-up then as I am now, I found the most complete and informative re-hab advice on, of all things, a ski website called epic ski. There are actually several Doctors and Physical Therapists on the board there who have sustained the quad injury and contributed to the recovery of those on the board. If you have the time ( I'm sure you do ) go to the epic ski website, find the section on fitness, injury and recovery. The ski nuts won't let a knee or hip replacement keep them off the mountain!
Good luck everyone. I'll be back

Great report, mickshea!!! You are getting there...and really quickly too! Here's hoping that great recovery continues for you.

So, how was that first week of outpatient PT? A month out, how are you doing?

Thank you all. Yesterday was 4 weeks. Some great, some not so good news. Outpatient PT is great---painful at times, but I have a very experienced, knowledgeable therapist. I have also been going to my local gym to supplement the PT. I did 60 minutes on the recumbent bike yesterday, which turns out to be too much. I had swelling, pain, and then a fever. It's better today, but swelled quickly this morning ( I'm icing it now)
My range of motion is still not good, but I am expecting this to be a slow process. Actually, I can straighten my leg for the first time in 45 years.
I have spent countless hours on "bonesmart" gleaning every bit of information to help this recovery go as smooth as possible. There is comfort in knowing that others have had similar failures and successes in the time after the surgery.
Now.....question. Is it normal for the knee to always feel warm?
For how long can I expect this swelling after exercise?
I'm still on the coumadin. How often are blood clots experienced? I am constantly forgetting my dose.
I gotta go. Thank you everyone for listening. Good luck!!

I have also been going to my local gym to supplement the PT. I did 60 minutes on the recumbent bike yesterday, which turns out to be too much. I had swelling, pain, and then a fever. It's better today, but swelled quickly this morning ( I'm icing it now)
My range of motion is still not good, but I am expecting this to be a slow process.

The swelling, pain and fever indicate you are pushing way, way too hard for this early in recovery. Your knee is still healing inside big time and, if I were you, I'd stop the gym for another month or so at least. PT is plenty....in fact, you should be allowing a day in between sessions where you do little more than your normal movement around the house.

Now.....question. Is it normal for the knee to always feel warm?
For how long can I expect this swelling after exercise?

Warmth is normal....especially with the swelling you have going on. Your knee is inflamed and telling you to rest, ice, and elevate as much as possible. Some people report swelling up to 6 months or more after surgery. It will just depend on how your individual body reacts. This was a huge assault on your system and it takes time for things to settle. [/quote]

I'm still on the coumadin. How often are blood clots experienced? I am constantly forgetting my dose.

Blood clots are not common. They are less likely to occur as time goes by and as you become more active moving around from room to room, walking, and going to therapy. But.....you do need to take the medicine as prescribed. Can you time the dose with a meal so you remember to take it? Or how about setting an alarm? Or taking it right before bed or when you first wake up?

I had warmth in my knee for about two and a half months post-surgery. Call your doctor about the coumadin. I requested to replace coumadin with coated aspirin and my doctor agreed as I was healthy and fit. As it turned out, the aspirin upset my stomach so I stopped taking it after about two weeks post-surgery (with his OK). I didn't have any problems.

Thank you all once again for your support and great information.
So......I'm slowing it down, easing my workout and feeling great.
Mowing the lawn Wednesday, I stirred up a hornets nest ( actually
yellowjackets ) and got nailed about 20 times on my calf just below my new
knee. I've had lots of stings before but none that hurt this badly, or for such a long time. After a couple of hours of pain, the itching started.
Thursday morning I went in for my PT. I had a GREAT session, got up to 113 degrees ROM and was pain free and walking with no limp......then.......
the itching got intense and the leg started to swell, but only below the knee.
Thursday night had to drive 3 hours to New Hampshire for a college orientation for my daughter. The calf swelled, the ankle swelled and I started to worry.
On arrival at the hotel I went online immediately to learn all that I could about the reaction. It turns out that this isn't uncommon, can last 10 days and I really will be OK.
Now for the strange part ------- my knee was absolutely pain free and all movement was as if I never had a bad knee. I walked all day long on a knee that felt perfect. Did the wasp venom somehow help the soft tissue that is now in the healing process? Strange but true. My knee has felt great all day. I seem to remember bee stings being used for some therapy, but I can't remember for what. Anyway, I am icing and elevating but for a different reason----I want to fit into my shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie