I T Band Syndrome - Ouch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manesailfarms

Just when I thought I'd be way ahead of the game, I have this I T Band problem, and the pain is a 10! I am so glad I have some percocets left over from surgery because now I really need them. Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any tricks to get rid of it? My physio therapist started some massage (not the fun kind) that even left some bruises after - but she assures me this is the only way to get rid of this thing. If only I didn't have this pain, my knees are working great otherwise!! Any one have this problem?

Yep--many of us have fallen prey to the dreaded IT band syndrome. There's a thread on it somewhere. There are stretches you can do, and a TENS machine can be quite helpful. I had a real problem with it after my left knee, but not my right.

There is an entire thread in the Library forum under knee replacements.....let me know if you have difficulty finding it.

Hi I have had IT Band problems from the get go.

The stretching exercise is ok, but the best is to
have your PT person massage the IT Band a deep massage. They will also have you roll a ball or a roller up and down the IT Band area and the area runs from the hip to the knee.

You can also massage the area but you have to push pretty hard and it will hurt.

Do not forget to massage under the knee and to
the left lower side of the knee.

I am back in PT because of the IT Band and the muscles around the knee. I have them messaged and it really hurts but it has to be done per the OS.
I now ride a recumbent bike as the OS and two of my PT persons said a stationary bike stresses the knee when you have this type problem.
Not sure if you are going to PT but if so, talk to the therapist about your problem.

I am actually seeing a chiropracter who does deep tissue massage and something called "Gastrox" massage. It hurts like hell---but so does the IT band. It is ironic, my knee does not hurt from skiing, but my IT band does. I also have hip bursitis at this point---my pain level is also way up there----I actually considered a pain med the other day--it would be the first one in almost five months.

You need someone who is experienced in this type of massage--I know that Surf Sister has struggled with it band issues too. I screamed my head off last time---then, I started laughing--the whole thing was so absurd!!! But, boy oh boy, it hurts--it is right up there with having a baby.

So far, my right knee hurts with every step and my it band is killing me. Other than than, all is well!!!! Kelly

Unfortunately, I also have been experiencing the IT Band problem. I had both hips replaced last year and had the problem after my right hip replacement. I felt it pull during therapy one day and it took a few months for the problem to eventually go away. It is very painful during certain ranges of motion. My IT band flared up again after my right knee replacement this year and I am getting really tired of this holding me back from a full recovery. Fortunately my knee is doing very well otherwise, but the IT Band gives me problems mainly when I walk without a cane. My Therapist said it is walking that typically aggravates it. I ride the recumbent bike and do various stretches and exercises and it does seem to be slowly getting better.
Good Luck,
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88