I still cannot find a dr who will even consider BTKR Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

loslocos

Country
United States United States
I called the Dr. Malloy, he no longer does them, she knew of no one in Cleveland area who did. anyone? even in a close neighboring state. Like n KY, western Pa, eastern In, southern Mich? I am determined to do both at once
sue

I had mine done at the Lutheran Hospital, which is the orthopedic hospital for the Cleveland Clinic---Pm and I will give you the name of the OS who performed my BTKR.

It might be worth considering having one knee done initially and the other one done a few days later. Some surgeons will do that. It still means only one hospital stay and one recovery.
I think @bottomshollow had her knees done like that.

I agree with Celle---perhaps you can get one done and have the other one done a few days later.

Not quite a true BTKR, but it will get everything done pretty much at the same time and get you moving forward towards recovery.

Thanks all good options, referee, I called the one who did yours, they do not anymore

I have to say, and I know this is controversial, but I wanted to have a bilateral knee replacement as it would have meant I could have had one recovery. My surgeon refused and I have to admit, before my operation, I was a bit ticked at him...however, following my very successful LTKR, I am thanking him for refusing...I know it's possible, but I can't imagine going through both at once...I'm really glad he did one at a time.

knees 4.jpg
@loslocos, my OS never does 2 knees in one operation; however, he will do one on Monday and the second on Thursday providing there are no complications from the first replacement. He will not keep a patient under anesthesia for the time it takes to do two and wants to be sure that there are no medical problems before doing the second.

I personally do not think it is more difficult to recover from two knee replacements than one. I was and am in very good health; I am a fairly fast healer; I had done a lot of reading here on the forum and was committed to recovering the BoneSmart way taking it slow and easy;I was able to maintain good pain management; I was reconciled to the fact that full recovery was going to take at least 12 months; and I had and kept a very positive attitude toward the whole process throughout my recovery.

I would not have wanted to do this any other way. I'm a little over three years post op and LOVE my new knees! I have even reached the point that I don't give them much thought and often just forget about them.

I was under light anesthesia and a spinal for 3 hours. My OS said it took 42 minutes for my left leg and 50 for my right which had to be straightened. He is younger like early 40's and prefers to do the bilateral as it is one anesthesia ,one hospital stay,one recovery,etc and for a healthy person the risk is very little difference ...I have to say I am beyond happy with my result..

Vinny

Last edited by a moderator:
my OS never does 2 knees in one operation; however, he will do one on Monday and the second on Thursday providing there are no complications from the first replacement. He will not keep a patient under anesthesia for the time it takes to do two and wants to be sure that there are no medical problems before doing the second.
I am thinking now that this is the best way for you to move forward on this. You will not be in the hospital that much longer and, if you go to rehab, you will be treated pretty much like a BTKR---and your recovery will be pretty much exactly the same.

Monday/Thursday---it seems like that would work real well for you.

My TKR's were done six weeks apart and it worked out great!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Regardless of the protocol that your OS will eventually use, you will be able to get both done, you will be able to get on with your life and enjoy it so much more---and you will be able to count on us to help you through everything!

I'm having bilateral TKR through Orthopedic One in Columbus. My doctor didn't hesitate when I asked him, but it is dependent upon your health. A friend had one done in December and the other 3 weeks later, but that was because she has some heart problems.

wow will have to check into them, the OSU folks said they knew no one!!!!
thanks
sue

I did not get around to calling them, of course it was too late anywho, but, can you keep me apprised as to how it goes etc.....PLEASE!?( If you are doing it,) right now we are cash strapped due to the worthless back surgery, and then shoulder repair, back to back, and also a wrist surgery from a fall that broke it in 3 places Sept. So I am still excited & hopeful, yet healing from Dec & Jan surgeries. I wanted to spend summer building muscles back, in pool(and Joined the YMCA. I have not walked up stairs or down especially, since I don't know when, I fell in Sept when the "good"(better of the 2, xray wise) gave out. lt. knee hurts more, trust rt. leg worse & said to be worse via xrays,................ . But after 2 surgeries back to back, NOT doing that again. So I so want to know how it goes, also do ya know if they have hcap,? also have over 4K to pay from last 2 medicare did not..........(hcap paid hosp, but not drs) I will try to follow thread. I did look at their site, and have seen them on Columbus trips, so should be OK. My knees needed done first! The knee guy who said he would not fix knees til back done was an idiot, not allowed to bend for 6mos to a year..................but sorry it was impossible from day 1 with bad knees, yet no one cared??? so I am told it won't fuse right.
No REAL problems, sleep apnea which I think they'd have the whole world on if could, and mod high b/p. DEF no heart problems. oh and fibrmyalgia.
a hopeful Sue in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks