How soon can you fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipalong

Hello all, I'm sure this is on the forum somewhere, but my computer is going on the blink and I only have a few moments on it each day before it overheats, until I can afford the repairs!!! So.... is flying anywhere banned until after the three months of post op. restrictions, or is it safer to wait longer? Same with the long car journeys?
Thank you, I'm grateful for any info. Jenny

Hi Jenny, bummer about your computer!

Every OS is different on the flying restrictions. There is the issue of DVT - especially if it is a long haul flight. I wouldn't think a short flight would be a concern but you will need to be able to get up and walk around.

Long car journeys are a different thing. It's fine to take a long car ride but most hippies can't sit for long periods without pain or stiffness. How long are you talking about? If you can schedule regular stops so that you can get out and stretch I am sure you can tolerate the ride.

It's probably a good idea to discuss any planned trips with your surgeon. He is going to know your specific case better than anyone. Jaycey is right about the risk for a blood clot on long flights....it's a risk for everyone, not just those recovering from surgery. Trips like this can be very tiring also. How is your stamina??? Is this a trip you can postpone for a bit? If so, I would just to be safe.

Thank you everyone, it's OK I can put both off for a while so I think I wil! Stamina is great for a couple of days at a trot and then I have to have a bit of a chill out for a day, so I guess still very much in recovery mode. Doing well though, long wanders at varying paces and able to ditch both crutches to walk about downstairs inside, for a while each day with no wobble! I've tried to take such care so far it seems silly to push it if I don't have to, thanks again , Jenny x

Well done Jenny! Easy does it for now. There is plenty of time for travel to all ends of the earth once your hips are stable and you have your stamina back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks