How soon can I use the stairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye

Country
United States United States
I am having TKR on my right knee on 12/11 and was wondering how long it will be before I can manage going up and down 9 stairs?I live in a tri-level and my 2 full baths and bedroom are upstairs. I know that everyone heals differently, but just want to be prepared.
I have a half bathroom in our lower level which is about 5 steps down. Unfortunately, I do not have a bathroom on the main floor.
From reading the posts here, it sounds like a recliner is the best thing to have during recovery.
I also have 3 active Boston Terriers who like to sleep in my bed. I am going to have to keep them upstairs with a baby gate for several weeks.
It might be best for me to go to a rehab facility for the first week home.
Thanks in advance for any tips or tools of the trade.

From what folk one here have said, anything from 4-6 weeks. But it's a very variable feast. Have you thought about having a commode for the first couple of weeks? Just in case you can't face stairs or in case you have a day when you can't face even the 5 stairs?

commodes.JPG

Looks like you have everything pretty well planned otherwise.

If you are only getting one knee done you should be able to go up and down stairs
when you come home. I was in a similiar situation with bedrooms on 2nd floor. I told
this to the OT people in my pre-op interview. I said I was going to make a bed downstairs
and they said if you are going to do it once or twice a day you could do them when I got
home. Before I left the hospital during my OT visits they made me go up and down stairs
on a cane and crutches. This was one leg at a time where you always did the pushing
with the good leg (going up balance on surgical leg and step with operated leg), going down step with operated leg first.

In perhaps a month you can go up stairs normally on both legs, going down takes two months because it takes more quad strength.

I had my RTKR on 08/22/08, went home on 08/26/08. I also live in a multi-level house and had to go up two flights of stairs (7 stairs and 6 stairs) to get to my bedroom. I went to PT twice per week so had to navigate the stairs down and back up at that time, as well. I didn't have a problem. They will make sure you can navigate stairs on crutches before they release you from the hospital. Some days those 13 stairs seemed like Mount Everest, but they do get much easier as time goes on!

I had a recliner in my bedroom, my full bath, satellite television, and my husband brought my computer to our bedroom. All the comforts of home! I moved my exercise bike to my son's room right across the hall from mine so that I could use that whenever the mood hit.

Good luck to you! Be sure to post any questions you may have, and let us know how you are doing!

Hi, this post has been most useful. My partner is currently in hospital having had both knees replaced. His operation was last Monday and they hope to allow him home this coming Tuesday. The hospital arranged for the bed to be raised which is on the first floor (as is the bathroom). Prior to the operation they said that he would be able to manage the stairs but I just can't see how this will be possible. Things are going to be much more difficult than we had been told . . . . .

Often the way, Sandra. We hear this again and again on here and it seems to never change no matter which country the member is from!

Welcome to BonesSmart. BTW! If there's anything we can help with you only got to shout!

We have a traditional 2 story with the bedrooms upstairs. I had no choice but to do the steps when we got home - We have 3 large dogs and we opted to have them stay on the first floor most of the time. The steps twice a day were no major problem - just use yourgood leg for balance and pushing! the dogs were also no problem. my pups are under 2 years old and HUGE. We actually have pics of Jadis (120 pound malamute) on the bed next to me while I still had my staples. They had a keen sense that something wasn't right and they were VERY gentle around me. When I was downstairs they just sort of lat by the couch I was sitting on. With going in and out to PT I was up and down the stairs pretty much everyday. Just take your time and all will be well.

Best of luck -

Marianne

I had both knees done at the same time and thankfully didn't have any stairs, even to get into my house. I do have a lot of dogs and four of them, little tiny things, sleep with us and on us so it just made sense to get a hosptial bed for a number of reasons. Since I was having both legs done it made it easier getting in and out of bed and I could keep it high enough to keep all the dogs out of the bed with the exception of my tiny baby who has to sleep with me or cry constantly. She has been on my lad 23 and 1/2 hours a day since we got her two years ago. We were lucky as there are several places here that provide hospital beds at a minimal charge for two months and I can't recommend it highly enough. It was the one thing I felt I really did for myself and made my recovery much easier, plus it allowed my husband to sleep undisturbed and I think I got much better rest that way as well, although we all seemed to experience difficulty sleeping after the surgery. Hope this helps and that you have a speedy recovery. Rowdy

Thank you all so much for you very helpful responses. I haven't been online all day. One of our computer's is in for repair and we have to fight over the one that's working.
I am seriously thinking about getting a recliner for the lower level with the half bath.The laundry room is downstairs and I can use the laundry tub to wash my hair. Hey I could just go outside and hose myself down. LOL.
I'm not a spring chicken (56) but I usually bounce back pretty quick. It's different with every surgery. Time will tell.
At my pre op appt I was told that OT and PT will make sure I'm well enough to go home or to a rehab facility (which would not be my first choice).
I am bound and determined to get moving asap. I just hope my other knee holds up through all this.
I am doing some knee stretches and some stationary cycling to build up my strength.
Thanks again. You are all so helpful!
Hugs, Kathy

Keep in touch until then and after, okay?

I had a RTKR and live in a 2 story house. The hospital PT asked if I had stairs to climb at home. Before I could be discharged, I had to climb as many stairs as I had to climb at home. I was nervous but it wasn't bad... used crutches going up and down, one step at a time. Once I got home, I stayed upstairs for about 3 days, then went down stairs once a day for another 3 days. Then, I went up and down stairs at my discretion. I found using the crutches was very scary. Instead, I just held onto the rail with one hand, with my husband by my other side in case I needed extra help. By the way, I don't know if this makes a difference but my surgery was an MIS surgery.
Sandy

Hi Buckeye. PT at my hospital had me doing stairs 3 days post surgery. It was not difficult at all with a railing and a cane. The saying was "good leg up" and "bad leg down" when going either up stairs or down stairs. I was able to go up and down stairs as soon as I got home from the hospital.
Cheers, Ross

Hi Buckeye,

My partner came out of hospital last night having had both knees replaced. So far the stairs aren't a problem. The PT's showed him how to get up and down using a crutch. He has been up and down stairs all day today - terrible constipation and the bathroom is upstairs! Its really worn him out and he is in bed already! He hasn't complained about pain in his knees at all - just the constipation. You really would think they could do something about this in this day and age wouldn't you.

Hope your op goes well.

All the best
Sandra

Stool softeners. Never forget the stool softeners!

Yes he's taking them twice a day plus senokot max twice a day but they don't seem to be doing much! Here's hoping for more success tomorrow when he is due to have the 50 staples removed.

My nurses sure seemed to have an interest in the status of my bowels. I was in for four days. They started with the stool softeners on the second day. Nothing...Couple of days at home...Nothing...and then they all hit at once. Thought I had given birth.

Yay! Tube, funnel and a jug of hot soapy water! Enema saponis was the official term! Can still smell the smell of hot soapy water combined with stools! Pew!!

After five catheters, if they had come in with a bigger tube and a funnel, I would probably be the first person to run a marathon the first week after a TKR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom