BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

How long does swelling last?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Luke 46, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke 46

Luke 46 New Member

I am 8 wks out and doing great. ROM 130+ no pain and only use advil to manage the darn swelling. My knee looks good in the morning but after only a half hour it starts to swell. The OS says it is my body trying to adjust to the metal. The PT says I need to increase muscle to cirulate the fluid. I continue to keep the leg elevated and ice but this is a pain? How long can I expect to be fighting the swelling? I know everyone is different, but just trying to manage my expectations? Thanks in advance

2. calling_all_angels

calling_all_angels Alpha

Dave,
    I still have swelling, more so if I am up and on my legs like a normal person. And I had these knee's done 7 and 5 months ago. I do not know if that helps you. But it does show that at 8 weeks out there is still alot of healing going on in there

3. doug

doug Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I would have varying degrees of swelling at the 3-6 month mark. It has gradually gone away.
    Believe it or not, you will get to a point where you don't even think about it, and when you do, you'll smile.
    Just hang in there, and keep working on the strength. Stationary bike, elliptical trainer, and treadmill.
    A pool is great for stretching out.

4. Linda2

Linda2 Post-Grad

I don't even remember any more with knee 1--knee 2 hasn't swollen much at all.

5. loggon

loggon Don

I am 5 months out and from what I have been told by OS, PT and several that have had the surgery it could last up to a year. Also,
    even after the year if you do to much, it may swell.

6. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm also a 5 monther and still have some swelling now and again. It's just a fact of life - don't fret over it.

7. mwolf

mwolf Junior Member

Hi Dave,
    I am 9 months out and still swell with activity. Which is daily. My OS said it could be up to 18 months, should lessen by 12. But I try to ice the end of the day and that helps some. No real pain, just a big knee.

GOOD LUCK!
    Mary

8. Texas

Texas Alpha

Hey and Welcome I am 4 mths and still have swelling not as much but some.....My 3 mths was my good mark where everything seemed to settled down and i saw a difference........Good Luck to you............)PS your ROM sounds great congrats!!!!!!!

9. cindy88fan

cindy88fan Supremo

I can't help you much since I'm 6 weeks out but my OS and PT said that the swelling that I have in my feet and ankles is from being up...gravity pulls the swelling down.
    And I was told not to stress about it...it's more or less a thing that will be there for several...several months.

10. ship4

ship4 Graduate

Luke,
    My swelling left equally around the 3.5 to 4 month mark. I felt like a new person at that time and knew I had gone over the hump!
    Give it some time, exercise as you should, pace yourself, and it will get better daily.

11. Nana55

Nana55 Member

I am 8 months out and still have some swelling on a particular spot that continues to get numb at times...I can tell that there is some fluid in the area and it has never completely left but is much better than a couple of months ago and I too have days that I don't pay any attention to the fact that I had surgery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.