TKR Home yesterday and feeling good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dianna

I had my total right Knee replacement on Thursday and so far I'm doing pretty good. I as able to get up a few stairs and into my house without a problem, of course i used a walker to help me. I was truly worried about that since it is about 150 steps.
I have read all the advice I could find on this site and it has been very helpful. I hope the next few weeks are ok as we'll!

Dianna,
Welcome to the otherside!
Just wondering how 150 steps is a "few" stairs?
Sounds like you are off to a good start, keep us posted on your recovery.

Hi Diana,
Congratulations on your new knee and your easy transition coming home. I am so impressed.Please continue to post your journey. I would love to read all about your progress.

Hang in there, Dianna. It could get rough, but you will get through it. Happy Healing!

Dianna,

Welcome home! Congratulations on your new knee! WIll be looking forward to your posts to see how you are doing - keep us posted. Everyone here is GREAT and so helpful!

When you said a few stairs and 150 steps - what did you mean? Hopefully just a could stairs to get in your house and then the extra steps to get to your "resting place".:what::loll:

These pain pills make my brain a little fuzzy. There are a total of 150 steps to walk up the front walk and then to my bedroom. There are 6 stair steps along the front walk and 4 stair steps to get to the floor my bedroom is on. My house is a one story but split level.
My P.T. Is going to be here in about 5 minutes and I will let you know how it goes!

Just remember, Dianna, better a fuzzy brain than a body sharp with pain!

P.T. Was just fine; again I worried for nothing. He told me I am doing wonderful for four days out. Using a walker I need to walk a total of 30 minutes daily and do about five exercises that were not to difficult. However, I did what everyone advised and took my pain meds 30 minutes before he arrived! So far I feel silly for waiting so long before having this knee replaced.
I was bone on bone in both knees and it was extremely painful to talk more than 5 minutes at a time.
I think I'm going to LOVE really living again. It is very depressing and difficult living a limited life like I had before. Maybe I will be ready to have my second knee done in a few months.

Dianna,
Please keep us posted. I LOVE to read your posts. You are my inspiration! I watched some youtube videos and read some blogs last night. Had me so nervous that I wouldn't be able to do this. Then I read your posts. THANK YOU!!!!

Hi Dianna, it looks like you're doing petty good! Glad to hear you're PT went well. You said the pills make you brain a little fuzzy, enjoy it it's not too often we have an excuse to have a fuzzy brain.:rolleyespink: I certainly look forward to a fuzzy brain myself after these long years with bad knees.

I'm glad you're happy with your new knee and looking forward to a better life.:yahoo:

I wish you a speedy recovery!:friends:

Best regards,
Jacky

Could not agree more with Jo. Definitely read those posts-SO valuable and helpful!

Hi Dianna. Welcome! The best thing I did for my recovery was to follow the advice in the links Josephine provided. Hope you heed the words (seems like you already are!).:biggrin:

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I read the entire library before I had my surgery. I now understand the importance of icing and elevation. The swelling is difficult to keep in check but I'm working on it!
I'm still very positive about this recovery. I think the worry before hand was much worst than the reality.

The swelling will be with you for a while, but you have a great attitude and will do just fine! Take it easy and do as little as possible now---just the gentle stretching exercises and let your body heal.

Please keep posting and let us know how things are going.

Just had my third session with the P.T. Each time I can do a little more. Next week he said we could try the stationery bike. Feeling good and following the directions-take my meds on time, ice and elevate.
My day speeds by between the walks, exercise, icing, meals and naps! Can't wait to see what next week brings. Maybe I will be able to sit up for longer periods with getting swollen. Looking forward to each new day!.

Fantastic attitude! Great that things are progressing well for you. :biggrin:

And thank you for the note about the worry before being worse than the reality. Gives me hope that my own surgery will go fine.

I agree, Dianna, I was a worried mess before surgery! I come from a long line of professional worriers so it was natural for me ; ) Other than the very rough first 3 weeks, I feel very positive about PT too. Started OP this Tuesday and it was great, and am amazed at how much more I can do today than Tuesday! I hope it keeps up this way. I DO get tired easily and have learned to respect that and rest. Happy Healing!

My husband just got back from my Doctor's office. He went there to find out about a refill on my pain meds since they didn't return my telephone messages.
The Doctor told him they only give one prescription when leaving the hospital for the first 7 days which was Roxicet. (oxycodone & acetaminophen). No more after that but the Doctor was willing to write a prescription for Vicodin. They don't want people to have addiction issues.
I'm sure hoping the Vicodin will work, anyone have any suggestions. I maybe worrying for nothing, I will runout of the Roxicet tomorrow.

The vicodan worked GREAT for me BUT be careful to wean yourself from it. I had the brilliant idea to just stop taking it after I had uncontrollable sobbing, it was the WRONG thing to do. I felt the vicodan worked the best until I felt like it was impacting my ability to cope at which point I went back to my GP and he put me back on a lower dose of Dilaudid. Overall I prefer Vicodan to Oxy, I was taking 10/325's. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom