BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Hip replacement under epidural injection.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Viv50, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viv50

Viv50 Junior Member

Hi Folks
    Your help again please. I'm due to have total hip replacement to my left hip on 18/3/2011. I'm advised this will be done under epidural as consultant/hospital believe it leads to quicker recovery/getting you up on your feet. I'm told that if I'm down for op in the morning they hope to have me up on my feet late afternoon.

They say I can listen to music through headphones, chat to the anesthetist or they can give me an injection to put me in a light sleep, but to me, to give an injection to make you sleep would seem to defeat the purpose as your probably still going to be woosy when you come round, thus delay the time in getting onto your feet.

I'm wondering what the views are of others in the community who've had hip done under epidural.

This may seem very naive but is it like when you have a tooth out at the dentist i.e. you can't feel any pain because you're numb but you are aware of the action of them pulling the tooth. I really don't know what to expect.

Any advice would be appreciated. This time I'll try and answer posts collectively to save the threat getting clogged up.

Many thanks
    Viv.

2. haldox

haldox Post-Grad

Hi VIV. I had an epidural with twilight sedation and I loved it! It did not take any time away from getting back up on my feet either. I was still in recovery to be monitored when I woke up and had quite a wait until I got into a private room to start the PT fun. Just a few hours after that I was walking out of the hospital with 1 crutch. :wink:

I was glad to be asleep because I dont sit still too well and I couldnt imagine laying there during surgery. I get bored easily and when waiting in recovery I asked a nurse for a magazine to read. She gave me a weird look and told me sorry but they dont keep magazines around the recovery area:th_heehee:

Funny- talking about chatting with the anesthesiologist, I was told that many times people become jabber jaws while in twilight sedation!:th_heehee: I wasnt told if I was one of those but I know I was reporting my pain on the 1-10 scale because that was the first thing I can remember when I woke up. I was about a 2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brad

Brad Junior Member

I had a spinal to numb me from the waist down and Propofol to put me to "sleep." I told them to knock me out. I didn't want to "chat" with a stranger, or listen to music, or hear the tools used to perform the operation. I just wanted to wake up and have it finished.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

I have had four hip surgeries. The first three were done under general anesthesia and the last was done with an epidural and sedation. I definitely prefer the epidural and would request it if I ever (heaven forbid) need surgery in the future.

Like Brad, I told them that I didn't want to talk to anyone or hear what was going on. I just wanted to be out. And I was. However, I had a much easier time in recovery after surgery and none of the side effects that I'd experienced with general anesthesia.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Unless you are just really set on being awake for your surgery for some reason, I recommend that you take the sedative. The surgery takes a while and it's much better just to wake up in recovery with no memory of any of it. You won't have any of the problems normally associated with a general....it's great!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

It's worth noting that you won't be having an epidural, but a spinal block, which is somewhat different but still has the same effect.

The difference is explained in the library.

You will always have some sedative before the blood wagon fetches you from the ward, and go into theatre smiling, it's when you are actually through the door that you have some choice.

You can stay as you are and chat drowsily to everyone, or ask for some more and go off into a wonderfully comfortable sleep. It's something to discuss with your anaesthetist. In my case, because I have been a cardiac patient, he didn't wan't to take a chance of me getting panicked (no chance!!), so he decided that I should sleep. I actually wanted to stay awake and watch, but you can't see anything anyway, because they put screens up between you and the action. All they do is give you a little more of the sedative until your eyes close, it's not a different concoction of knock out chemicals. So staying awake or going to sleep makes very little(if any) difference to recovery, it's just a personal choice.

If you go to sleep, you wake up very quickly in recovery with a clear head and a wonderful feeling of euphoria. NO WOOZINESS!!!! I was back in the ward reading my book an hour or so after waking up. These magic potions are great these days, I still remember the old days when you woke up feeling terrible, vomiting for several hours, with the after effects lasting a couple of days!! NO MORE:th_yay:

You'll be up and about (a bit) the day after.

Where are you going to get the op done?

• Like Like x 1
  7. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

I had a general and must have really lucky. No sickness or being woozy I had the op at 8.30am and was back on the ward having a cup of tea and reading the paper at 11.30am. I was up to use the toilet later that afternoon.!! As others have mentioned I really didnt want to hear or know what they were doing to me.
    Cathy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steve_Marlow

Steve_Marlow Member

Hi, my experience was very similar to Tykey, except I don't remember any sedative before the block. I was certainly happy not to be conscious during the op.

Maybe because I was bi-lateral and late in the day, but they decided to leave what was left to run in the block going overnight to give me a good night's sleep.
    It worked for me!

Cheers
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  9. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sedatives used during a surgery under spinal are short acting and you wake up really quickly with no wooziness or feeling sleepy. I woke in recovery (as people normally do) and had a great chat with the staff there. Then, when I got back to the ward I was bright enough to scoff down three slices of toast and a glass of milk!

Trust me (and the others), you're far better off with a spinal and sedation. :thmb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Hi Viv, I was convinced I was going to have general until I joined BoneSmart. After reading everything in the Library and chatting to others about a spinal I chose the spinal.

I have had a general for other surgery and the spinal is much better. You are never groggy and the effects from the spinal means you have little or no post-op pain for several hours.

Just be sure and tell the staff you want to be out. I didn't and unfortunately I was awake through the whole procedure. Not recommended as it is very noisy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrahamDee

GrahamDee Senior

I know I will not cope with a spinal and would happily accept wooziness any time. I hope that when its my time to get done, the anaesthetist has one of them tranquiliser guns they use on elephants on me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Viv50

Viv50 Junior Member

Hi Folks

Thanks so much for posting, you've managed to clear up so issues for me.
    I'll be opting to be put into a light sleep.

Many thanks
    Viv.

13. Viv50

Viv50 Junior Member

Hi Tykey
    I,m having my hip replacement at North Tyneside General

14. Viv50

Viv50 Junior Member

Hi Tykey
    Thanks for posting and advising its a spinal block not epidural.

I,m have hip replaced at North Tyneside General.

Regards.
    Viv.

15. normanr

normanr Member

I had a spinal block and was not over the moon with the thought of being awake.

I had soft music and the anesthetist was talking to me all the time the op was in progress and it was brilliant with no problems or nasty thoughts afterwards so please do not worry if he says have the local.

Norman :th_yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Josephine

You know (for people reading this) even if you do end up awake for the surgery and find you don't like it, you can still ask to be knocked out. It's only a small syringe of medication which is always on hand and is no trouble for the anaesthetist to get and give you. So even if you do think you'd like to be awake and then change your mind, it's never too late, even for the last 10 mins!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Viv50

Viv50 Junior Member

Hi Josephine & Norman

Thanks for posting. I think my main concern with the spinal is that approximately 10 years ago I had cortizone (at least I think it was) injected into the spine to see if it would relieve the pain in my back
    and confirm if it was the discs that were causing the problems. (it was supposed to last for approx 3/4 months).

I honestly didn't know what to expect and couldn't understand why the nurse said I could grip her hands if I wanted to, I soon found out, even although I believe I have a reasonably high pain thresehold the pain was so bad at one point I thought I was going to throw up.

Once back on the day ward it took a good hour for sickly feeling to subside.

Anyone else had this problem?

18. Renate

Renate Sr Bonesmartie

Hi Viv, sorry about that bad spinal experience. I had 2 c-sections with epidurals, no sedative, and I must say I'd do that again. They numbed the area first, and I only felt pressure. I also had 4 other hip surgeries with a general.
    Honestly, recovery was the same for me, no difference. But if I get a choice I'd prefer epidural with a 'tranquilizerl'. I don't want to know or hear what they are doing with my precious demolished hip.

19. Josephine

Injections into the spine like that are quite a bit different to having a spinal.
    That's mostly because when they inject the stuff it's quite a quantity - sometimes about 20mls.
    That's what made you feel sick to your stomach!
    You don't get that with a spinal.

• Like Like x 1
  20. loralee3

loralee3 Junior Member

I'm glad I came upon this thread--didn't really realize how easy and common a spinal for THR is. It made up my mind what I want to talk to the OS about! Thanks everyone!!

loralee3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.