Hip Recovery: three months post op - awesome recovery report

barkley52

I am 55 and had a complete hip replacement in early February. I was very active prior to surgery, in spite of the discomfort, and am amazed at how quickly my recovery has progressed.

5 weeks after my surgery I was walking upto 3 miles. 8 weeks after I hiked a 4,000 ft peak. 12 weeks out I'm back to road biking and I've climbed a 6,200 ft peak.

At this point, I seemed to have regained most of my strength in the old leg.

I also should mention that I returned to the gym for physical therapy and light workouts 10 days aft my surgery.

Has anyone else had a simliar experience?

Re: (3) months post op-Am I pushing it to hard?

I can only wish~~~ You seem to be getting along so well that this really does make me feel that I am recovering so slowly. I am 66 but my surgeon left me with one leg an inch longer than the other...this is throwing off my entire body...my back and knees are crying more than normal now.
I am at 12 weeks and still doing PT a couple times at the clinic and everyday here at home.

I have continuing pain in the lower leg, to the outside just below the knee...the surgeon was "sure" it was from a bad hip...now hip gone, but the pain is still there, and worse!

I have been to two other OS and neither agree as to what is going on. I think that since all of the muscles have to stretch an inch longer, that the pain might be coming from where the muscle coming down from the hip area meets the one that goes from the knee to the foot......I am sorry but I don't know the "technical" names of these.

So enjoy your speedy recovery....and I wish I were that far along, because I am starting to really get discouraged when others are walking miles and I still have to use a scooter at Walmart!

Don't be discouraged, everyone's recovery is at there own pace. You just need to stay positive and continue to question your doctors.

I am 55 and had a complete hip replacement in early February. I was very active prior to surgery, in spite of the discomfort, and am amazed at how quickly my recovery has progressed.

5 weeks after my surgery I was walking upto 3 miles. 8 weeks after I hiked a 4,000 ft peak. 12 weeks out I'm back to road biking and I've climbed a 6,200 ft peak.

At this point, I seemed to have regained most of my strength in the old leg.

I also should mention that I returned to the gym for physical therapy and light workouts 10 days aft my surgery.

Has anyone else had a simliar experience?

Awesome! That's all I can say - just - awesome! I am stickying this for others to spot. And I am changing the thread name. Hope you don't mind, barkley.

Good for you, I'm 10 1/2 weeks out and I have been riding a stationary bike consistantly since I have had permission to drive at 6 weeks. I started taking Yoga and Pi-Yo this week and tied my shoes for the first time post-op after a PI-Yo class. Finally ended up taking my first spinning classes in months.
Keep up the good work!

I am also 55 and I was very active prior to surgery despite the pain. I also had full range of motion because I pushed it and made sure I rotated my leg faithfully every day. Three weeks after surgery I felt great, now 3 months post surgery I am in more pain than I was prior to surgery and the pain seems to be getting worse. The pain is mostly in my groin and it's unbearable, I feel like I am being stabbed especially when sitting. My surgeon and physical therapist say it is a normal part of the healing process, but they aren't living with this pain. I have done and continue to do all my excercises faithfully, I would love to get back to my excercise bike, but the pain is too much to handle. My range of motion is poor and the joint is extremely stiff. It's hard for me to even sit up straight at the dinner table. I feel like this surgery has made me an invalid. At this point I am soooo sorry I had it done.
Has anyone else had this pain? How do you move past it? Also, I have a lot of allergies and intolerances, could this escalating pain be a sign of rejection? (I was tested for both metal and plastic allergies before the surgery, with negative results.)

Today is exactly 90 days post-op minimaly-invasive THR. I'm 54 and my recovery has been going great. I went back to work in 2 months and initially had some pretty strong pain. My job calls for me to be on my feet for 5-7 hrs., but the surgeon told me to get off my feet for 15-20 mins. if I had pain, so that's what I did. Within 3 weeks that pain has resolved itself. He told me you can expect pain in the muscles and joint for up to 6 months. He also said if you saw how much abuse is done to the muscles and femur you would understand while it takes a while to heal. Total 100% healing is 18 months. I still get pain in my hip flexors but I have been working out daily on a total gym and the amount of flexability and pain reduction in 2 weeks is phenominal. One thing I do on the total gym that really improved my range of motion is squats. You lay on a board that glides on rollers and at the angle I have the board set, it is actually easier than the ones I did against the wall in PT. I do 30 a day. Some people have told me you shouldn't do squats with hip replacements. Is this true or a myth? If not should I gradually increase the angle of the board to get more resistance or stay where I'm at? Leg strength isn't a problem because I walked 3 miles a day prior to the surgery and began walking at least a mile within 3 wks. after.

I am having similar success, I think. I am 55 years old, and had my THR of the left hip on the 3d of February. I was walking my dog two times a day, for a mile and a half each time 4 weeks after the surgery and continue to improve. Now I walk about 4-5 miles a day. I need to use my cane for a few steps after I sit for an extended time, but mostly do not use it. I carry it on the walks, but only as a back up in case I feel like i am beginning to tire or limp. I have nearly all my activities back. I was able to get into my plane at the 4 and a half week point, and flew for 2 hours. Today I am sleeping well on the right side and can lay on the left (scar) side for an hour or so before it gets uncomfortable. I can climb the ladder to the attic now too.

I do occasionally have some muscle pain, but the Physical Therapist said that will pass in a while, too. I had my 6 week follow up this morning with the Surgeon and he gave me a good report. Getting the replacement was a great move, and my mobility has increased a lot!!

I did do one stupid move last weekend, though. My wife and I were out with the dog, and I felt great during the walk. I wanted to run, but decided that I would try a little skip. Not a good idea. There is still some significant pain after an impact like that, and it has sort of slowed me down this week! I learned a lesson, though!!

Cowboypilot
That is an awesome recovery. Of course you are still in recovery. I think at about 3 months I tried running (although it is not allowed), it still felt a little not normal. A few weeks later, I never would have known I had a hip replacement. It is awesome
Don't overdo it now!!!
judy

Great news, Cowboy. I'm so happy to hear you're doing so well.....skipping will come later!!! LOL

I had simultaneous double THR on 12/22/08 and I feel like a million bucks and it has only been 3 months post op. I even went back to work on 2/16/09. I had large diameter metal on metal implants because I'm only 47 years old. Doc says they should last me the rest of my life. All in all my experience has been fantastic and I have a lot share. Anybody else a double hippie??

doublehippie--I think I'm a bit like you--BTHR, MOM, anterior approach, but only done on 4/1/09. I'm going to take it slow. I would be interested to know when you were able to get back into the gym for upper body work, into a pool, onto a stationary bike, onto a trike (if you use one), and into a gym unrestricted.
tom

I had to laugh Cowboy, I am 45 coming up to 6 weeks post op from THR and like you things appear to be going really well, and on several occasions whilst walking the dogs have had the urge to run hop or skip, will take heed of your excellent advice and stick to walking for a while yet !

Surgery on 9/11/07
Home from the hospital 9/14/07, never took a pain pill once I left the hospital
Threw out the walker and cane 9/17/07
One week check up 9/18/08...amazed my doctor, walking with no limp, released to drive my car
Released to go back to work full-time on 10/04/07 (three weeks post surgery)...and I worked in retail and was on my feet 8 hours a day.

Having THR was the best thing I ever did, my only regret is that I didn't do it three years sooner!

Yeah...I'm a 'double-hippy'!
I had the left hip done on Mar.5 of '07, and the right hip done on Mar. 17 of this year ( '09 ). Both went great...very little pain after, no complications, healing very well. Both are large head metal on metal Zimmer's; both posterior approach. Having them done gave me my life back, mobile, agile and pain-free! For me, the BEST thing for exercise was/is swimming. Good workout doing 'water aerobics', stretching, ect. without putting weight/stress on the joints.
I only wish I had found this Site/Forums BEFORE I had the first/both done. I had NO IDEA how much I DIDN'T KNOW that I didn't know to ASK ABOUT!:sigh:
( I still have issues I'm trying to get past...dealing with resentment is not one of my forte's...:skp: )
I haven't had a chance yet to check out your blog 'sva'....I will though!

Lee

Wow, Barkley, this is so encouraging. I'm so happy to report that at 4 months post op I'm finally feeling great. As others have said, i wish I'd done it sooner.
sva
abluetruedreamofsky.blogspot.com

Barkley: I think your recovery is better than most. I've had both hips done (DePuy MOM) The first in 4/05 and the most recent being 2/09. The first was posterior and the last was anterior. With both the recovery was quick. I was walking 1 mile in 30 days and playing 18 holes in 7 weeks(riding) The only pain I now have is when I lift my leg up such as to get in the car. My research indicates it is the illio psoas muscle deep in the groin and I can't find an exercise to stop the pain. My doc is in AZ and I'm in MT until Oct so I'll tough it out until then. Although the pain isn't horrible, I want to be free of it. Keep on truckin!!!

Can I just point out to members that Barkley hasn't visited this forum since March 08!!!
So there's little point in addressing your post to him.

But by all mean add your own amazing recovery story ......

Hi-

I had a LTHR on May 1- I was lucky to be able to go to the top hospital for this- and have a great OS.

I was back at work after 4 weeks- slightly shaky and back on my horse at 8 weeks,

It is 4 months now and I also am having a fabulous time- I went home for labor Day and ny cousin (who lives overseas) did not know I had had surgery til her Mom said something!

I know i am fortunate and need to figure out how to give somrthing back now that I have my life back!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft