Hi folks, I will ask the doctor who is going to work on me (long story shopping for docs here in Texas but eventually found an incredible surgeon that I haven't met with yet but said will work on me gladly) but I'm curious if I will need two surgeries in my case. Like I said I had a hip pinning 5 years ago and now the femoral head is collapsing. This was found when I asked to have my screws removed. I'd been running and even completed a full triathlon after the surgery. I actually went skiing over spring break with no issues, no pain, etc. Anyways the news is out. Two surgeons say core decompression is a way to buy time but 6 weeks on crutches with no weight bearing for a two month pain filled delay? That doesn't sound good. The stuff I've read (and it's not been a lot) was that core decompression is not usually successful since AVN is just a misunderstood condition (AVN is avascular necrosis). I'm thinking that pre op for a hip replacement would mean the screws would come out and I would have to strengthen the hip prior to putting a metal object in the core of it. I've been doing research and I'm pretty enamored with the BioMet M2M. I know the alerts out there for metal on metal but I want to stay active in my life. I'm 40 and will risk the gamble that a new hip will come out in the next 20 years that will last the rest of my lifetime after the Biomet wears out. Any thoughts on the pre op planning to remove the pins first to allow the bone to strengthen? I don't want to get dinged for two surgeries costs. Thank god I don't have to wait in some government line to get a new hip.