THR Hip hip hooray - Jane's new hip story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaneyGS

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well I'm all done! Arrived at the hospital at 7.30 and ended up going down to theatre at about 9.30. All of the anesthetic bit wasn't very nice - took a lot longer than I was expecting and I went a bit wobbly but it was Ok. Woke up in the recovery room and then got taken to x ray and then back to my room. All feels ok at the moment but I expect that there is a lot of local in there for now. Just had some lunch. Beautiful flowers arrived from my lovely husband who will come to see me after work. Lots of people coming and going so not sure how much sleep I will get but I don't have any major plans for this weekend so I don't think it will matter much if I am tired! Surgeon has popped into see me and said it all went well so that's good.

Jane

yaysmiles.gif
and welcome to the "other side", Jane. You sound really, really good---very lucid. And you're quite right, not that much rest be be gotten in hospital---people coming and going at all hours day or night. Good to know you don't have big plans for the week-end (I loved that!). Take care and keep us posted. We care.
1hugsmile.gif

Yes welcome Jane to this side of "the big sleep".I am now 3 wks post op and going well.I had to have bone graft so i am still non weight bearing.Going to partial WB next week.Anyway like me i hope you are enjoying you new bionic self.It's so nice for me to be able to sit down without going through pain.

So glad Janey everything went well for you.. Now the fun begins.. I had such a enjoyable nursing team and staff at the hospital made the stay less stressful that the transition was easy.. Goodluck with the PT.. it will be hard in the beginning, but you will be surprised what you can do right out of the gate.. Take it slow and if it hurts, let them know.. My favorite number was 10.. Have a bright and shiny day.. Recovery happens one step at a time :)

Great news Jane

Just try and take things easy over the next couple of days and lay back and rest, they woill have you up soon testing that
new shiny new hip and you will hopefully be home in a few days time.

Billy

Welcome to the other side Jane. Easy does it! So glad all is done and dusted! Let the healing begin!

Welcome to the recovery side Jane. Great to hear you are feeling good.

Take care

Ann

3 days post op and I feel so encouraged.

Hi Montanaroots,

Congratulations on your shiny new hip and now on the road to recovery.

Would you like to start a new thread of your own in the 'Hip Replacement Recovery' side of the forum, so that we can follow your journey and other members can post directly to you. We would love to get an update. Montanaroots;

Congradulation Jane and welocme to the other side!

It is wonderful when the surgeon says "all went well". Now it is time to rest, rest and rest.

Healing wishes,

Elle

Day 2
The surgeon popped into see me first thing and was a bit cross that no one had tried to get me out of bed on day one so then the physio was straight over. Got onto the end of the bed but went very dizzy so back to lying down and a bit of oxygen. Tried again after lunch and again went very dizzy and had to lie down again. Had loads of fluids pumped into me all afternoon which wasn't very nice but in the evening I did manage a small shuffle to the loo and back. Bit dizzy on the way back but I made it! The pain gets a lot worse with all the moving about but I guess that is to be expected. I haven't been given any specific exercises to do. Is that something I should ask about? Do you think the lack of walking action so far will matter in the long run?

Jane

smile nodding yes.gif
No, not to worry about lack of walking around at this point. No good to have you up while you're dizzy. I mean we don't want you falling and breaking something, now do we? You'll be fine in a bit, and things will move on from there. So just rest and enjoy doing nothing for a while----the work will come later. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
1hugsmile.gif

Hi Jane, sorry to hear about your dizziness, that is a horrible feeling isn't it but it will soon pass :)

What I know is, in the UK, as far as hip patients go, PT's are there only to help the patient out of bed for the first couple of days on a walker then to progress onto crutches and to check if we can manage stairs before going home.They do not give exercises as rest is the order of the day.

I wouldn't worry at all about the lack of action hindering your recovery. Just a few trips to the bathroom a day is enough to start with :)

Hope the day goes well for you

Take care

Ann

I didn't get out of bed until the day following my surgery. Had a spinal so there was no feeling in my legs until very late the day of the op. Physio showed up the next morning and I was off.

Don't worry about the dizzy part - happens to almost everyone. Just don't move about on your own until you feel totally confident.

The pain gets a lot worse with all the moving about but I guess that is to be expected.
Actually, no it's not. There's no call for you to be in real pain - discomfort, perhaps but not pain.You should ask for pain meds regularly.
I haven't been given any specific exercises to do. Is that something I should ask about? Do you think the lack of walking action so far will matter in the long run?
Not in the least. As long as you are doing some walks to the bathroom and such, exercises don't matter that much until you're about 3 weeks out. Even then they're not crucial. Hips have a way of working themselves out quite nicely.

Day 3
Much better on the moving about front today. After a wobbly attempt in the morning, in the afternoon I managed to get up and into the chair and later on even went for a little expedition into the corridor! The physio gave me some little excercises - just wiggling my toes and a little bit of bending my leg as well. Seem to be able to move the operated leg reasonably well now without any major pain.

I'm hoping that I might be able to have a shower and get dressed soon as that will make me feel a lot more human!

Jane

Hi JaneyGS having a shower makes you feel like a new woman. You sound like you are doing well its early days yet for you. I am 2 weeks postop now an can't believe how well i feel, you will soon be off and running well toddling first lol. My friends and family have said how the pain has gone out of my face, guess we all have a certain look about us. Take care :happydance:

Day 4
They were very keen to send me home today but as I hadn't managed to do stairs I wasn't too keen. I made the mistake of taking coedine in the morning which just wiped me out and meant that I didn't get as much walking practice as I wanted. They wore off by the afternoon so I went down the stairs and then back up again which felt like a huge achievement! Also had a shower which as meat free said made me feel like a new woman! Much more confident about going home tomorrow now!

Jane

Sounds like you are doing great Jane. Glad you held your ground and are going home when you feel confident. Soon you will be home in your own bed - bliss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks