THR Hip #2 In situ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim22

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all thanks for your good wishes.Just to let you know that all went well and I came home this afternoon.I am exhausted and can hardly keep my eyes open so I am going to bed.WlIl post tomorrow with more details

Hi Kim!!! Glad you are home!! :flwrysmile:

Hi, @Kim22! So glad to see your thread. Take good care of you and will look forward to catching up when you're ready. :)

Aha! So very glad you are home!! Hope you have many naps, drifty, sweet, sudden, healing; and that sleeping through the night happens sooner rather than later.
You know the drill, rest, ice, elevate, eat chocolate....
Looking forward to updates!!

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

So glad to hear that you are home. Get some sleep. Speedy recovery to you. We've all been thinking of you!

Been thinking about you @Kim22 ! Welcome to the other side again. I'll put your recovery articles here for you to refer to - just in case:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Yay! There you are! Glad to hear from you.
Get all the sleep in you can @Kim22 and take it nice & easy.
Sending loads of lovely healing vibes your way...love & hugs...Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@Kim22 Glad to hear from you and that everything went well. Rest and enjoy the down time. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying life pain free! Best wishes!

Hi everyone I can't thank you enough for all your lovely messages.I managed to sleep very well last night despite lying on my back.Today wasn't much fun though due to the usual bm issues which was very uncomfortable but much better now I have sorted myself out but of course I realise that I am not out if the woods yet as I am taking codeine and will be for a while so I need to keep on top of things with Senna and prune juice as well as plenty of fibre and water.My experience of the surgery and the hospital was very similar to last time.I had the same excellent standard of care from all the staff who worked so well as a team and nothing seemed to be a trouble to them even though they were clearly rushed off their feet.My fellow patients who were all in for hip or knee replacements were a nice set of ladies but this time I was by far the youngest on the ward.I was fully asleep during surgery as I requested but had the usual problems of nausea and vomiting, low blood pressure and O2 sats as well as a temperature spike on the second night but perked up once I asked for the morphine to be stopped and for me to take codeine instead.I found that I was sleeping for England which was lovely but I needed to be awake enough to get going a little and to make enough progress to get home.I am managing to walk with 2 sticks but doing very little.I will try to catch up with you all on your own threads in time but thank you all again it is so therapeutic to know that so many of my Bonesmart friends were thinking of me.

I'll bet you are so happy to have most of this journey behind you. Now it's just a matter of time to heal and away you go. Take care and know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Glad you are home and recovering. Only better days ahead. It has to be a relief to know both are done. I have much less anxiety having just done all this before. I drove myself crazy worrying with the first one that I'd move the wrong way, etc. yet had no problems. Definitely had more pain this time than the first, but still nothing that bad. I hope you have a quick recovery.

@Kim22 sounds like you are right on track! Glad your care was so good. I despise morphine-- had a pump once and it did very little to the pain, just put me into a deep fog of depression with a side of pain. Glad you got to move to codeine, and verrrry glad you got yourself moving this quickly! Such a relief!!

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

So glad your hospital experience was so good again @Kim22 & you are moving in more ways than one!
Sleeping is great for your recovery ..... Hope it stays that way.
I found codeine & paracetamol was much kinder than the morphine for body & soul......hope you get to go home soon.....
Love Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Thank you @Hoppy Nanny I came home onThursday teatime thankfully.There is nowhere like home is there ? I found that morphine just wiped me out so glad that part is behind me.I have entered the log leg phase now with swelling of the thigh, knee and ankle as well as the bruising coming out but I know this won't last long either.
@zauberflöte it was a big relief and I am even tolerating your beloved warm prune juice ( yuck ) for the sake of the movement.Mind you once it is gone it's gone and I will substitute it with dried apricots and other foods that taste nicer.
Hi @Doodles51 it is a big relief knowing that both hips are now done and I do feel more confident and calm this time round just like I was with my second baby.Like you I feel that I am in more pain this time but not too much either.However it is two and a half years since I had the first one done so the experience is not so fresh in my mind as it is with you so I have decided to read my old thread to compare this afternoon

@Jaycey Thank you for posting the articles which I will read today.I can't remember how to add my LTHR to my signature and wondered how you do this again.Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562