Here I go again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlejem

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone I've managed to get a rather quick surgery date booked in, I'm guessing no one wanted Friday 13th! Is there any equipment you recommend I get in before my surgery, I have a loo raiser from my hip surgery, will that be helpful?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Littlejem wellcom mine is on the 11th next week I have got a thing called a limbo full leg it is so you to shower or bath right away, a shower stool or bath bentch, ice packs you can get realy big ones 28"x38" a leg raiser sort of like a wedge you can place a pillow on it to elivate your leg, a stool so you can sit in the kitchen to work, all these things you can get from Amazon very well priced. Good luck x

LTKR 11 May 2016

Thanks @Dawni so you are in a few days before me? The list looks very similar to my hip list.

Welcome back @Littlejem ! Well done on getting a fast surgery date. I look forward to following your TKR journey!

Hi again @Jaycey, it seems like only yesterday that I had my hips done, I can't believe it's 3 years! I'm lucky to still have private insurance at the moment, hence the quick date, although I'm sure some people not liking the date helped How long is it normally before you can drive, I have an automatic which I'm sure will make life easier.

I drive a manual (stick shift) and I started driving again at about 4 weeks. You need to be able to move both left and right feet easily and fast enough to use the pedals. Before I started driving again, I used to sit in the car with the engine turned off and practice moving my feet fast from one pedal to another.

You might be able to drive an automatic earlier than 4 weeks and I have read of people doing just that. It does depend, though, on which knee you are having done. Obviously, with a left knee replacement you might be able to drive earlier than with a right knee replacement.

Whichever type of car you drive, you need to be off the strong narcotics - don't want to be driving "under the influence" - and you need to be absolutely certain that you can perform an emergency stop.

I have heard that some insurance companies require a clearance from your surgeon, so it might be a good idea to check that.

CarGal.gif
I had both knees done the same week, so it was about 6 weeks before I could lower my medication enough to drive. I drive an automatic and live on a short circular drive, so I practiced driving around the circle and being sure I could make a fast emergency stop before I ever hit the road. My trips for the next couple of months were of a short duration.

Had a sore throat and keep loosing my voice off and on all week but yesterday and today it seems worse. I can phone my GP tomorrow and have my pre op tomorrow evening but would it stop my surgery on Friday if it's still like this?

I started driving two weeks after my TKR. I had to make sure that I didn't take any narcotic pain meds in my system. Do you have any other symptoms than just loosing your voice? if not I would think they can go ahead with the surgery. Everything is starting to grow out here and I get a scratchy voice because of allergies. Checking with your doctor is the best idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom