BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Having an MRI tomorrow - wish me luck

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by nanamac, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanamac

nanamac Don

United States United States
    :wahey:It was OK!!! I honestly NEVER felt a thing, except for the last second of the cortisone injection when I believe the radiologist hit a nerve. But that was the end so he withdrew the needle and I was fine. I'm such a baby :blush:!

Started out under the arthrogram machine and then they realized I needed to be under the CT scanner (again) since they had to needle aspirate fluid from the trochanteric bursa and had to see exactly where they were sticking me :skp:.

So, I was wheeled to the CT Scan room, and clear plastic piece with lead lines was put over my thigh. They scanned and came out and marked me with an "X" and repeated it.

Then i got a shot of Lidocaine that I honestly NEVER felt! I may still have some numbness there as the Doc was amazed. Then after a few more of those the needle was inserted and withdrew BLOOD! He was happy that it wasn't pus but thought it may have been a hematoma from something I did either on the stairs that day or in pt, who knows.

Then I was given the cortisone shot and that was the end. NO PAIN until he hit the nerve.

Next I went upstairs to the OS's office where I had a LONG converstaion with him and it was a very good thing, for both of us, I think. I won't get into that now...

So, everything is fine and it may be the wires causing my bursitis but that's another story as they have to stay put for a year.

Worse case scenario is that he has to remove them if they are what is causing my problems.

So all in all, I am a bit sore right now as the anesthetic has worn off, but I'm confident we are on the right track.

I can't return to pt until November 1st as I need everything in ther to settle down, so it's Rest, Ice, Elevate and Pain meds!

If you ever have to go thru this, ask for the lidocaine first and it is smooth sailing :pray:.

Thanks for your continuing support, kindness and prayers.

I am going to a reunion this evening that I thought I would have to miss but I'll be on my crutch! Baby steps...:thmb:
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Janet, I'm glad this part is over for you. Now you must rest, ice and take care of yourself. I pray this makes the difference for you so you can move ahead. God bless you, hon.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nanamac

nanamac Don

I did attend the reunion (probably wasn't a great idea) But it was a company where I was Office Manager/Executive Assistant/Company Mom for 8 years! I really wanted to see everyone that I haven't seen for 11 years! I stood the whole time, 5-9:30, except for eating and it didn't feel very good so I stood with my crutch for the nite.

I know I should have been home resting but I took a Percocet before and towards the end and I'm resting and icing since I've been home.

It was soooo good to see everyone as the owner of the company is not in good health and sold the company for BIG $$$ a few years ago and it might be a one time affair.

I'll stay off it tomorrow and ice and hopefully I didn't do any damage. They did not send me home with any restrictions, I made my own.

So I believe it was a good day all around :pray:. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks!
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Tsk! Tsk! Janet....you know we have to give you a bit of a finger wag for spending FOUR AND A HALF HOURS ON YOUR FEET!!! But I'm glad you enjoyed it and now you must let the serious resting, icing and elevating begin!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cfourhorses

Cfourhorses Graduate

Ok..I had responded and posted yesterday in reponse to your procedure... very odd it is not there now...maybe I am being censored??:pzld:

I said it was about time you had some answers and I am happy for you!!:thmb:

C4:dogkiss:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Can't explain why your post didn't appear, C4....but it's not because you are being censored :hehe:.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cfourhorses

Cfourhorses Graduate

Hmmmmmmmm:skp:

C4:dogkiss:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. nanamac

nanamac Don

I had the same thing happen last Friday nite in a post to LindaWalms. I thought the same thing C4, that I was censored :hehe:. It also happened early on, perhaps in July, when I posted something to Kathall. Back then I was new and just figured I had done something wrong.

I didn't report the last one because it's very frustrating after you've written a whole post and then "POOF", gone. BoneSmart definately still has a few bugs Jamie...

So Update: My face started to get red and flushed last night at the reunion, as if I'd had a few drinks, (but I don't drink) and woke this morning with a redder, hotter face and a headache.

I called OS's office who said to call my GP. So, I took my BP and it was 171/101 :shk:! Great, stroke time! Triage nurse said to come immediately OR go to the ER. Got to see my NP and had to get an additional Rx for BP medicine, take BP again later this evening (154/92 :doh:) and keep monitoring it.

Have to go back in a week. What now :sigh: ??? Could be a reaction to the cortisone OR the procedure. We shall see :skp: :pray:!
  9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Wow, Janet. Good thing you took fast action and got to the doctor. I'm betting it is a reaction to the cortisone. How are you doing today?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nanamac

nanamac Don

Still flushed. BP was 159/89 last night, 153/99 at 6:30 this morning, and 153/88 at 11:30. I feel ok, no headache, but I was adopted and the only thing I found out for medical history is that both biological parents had Hypertension and Diabetes :skp:. So far bo diabetes but we always inherit the bad stuff, don't we...:evil:. I'm sure somebody gave me these hips!
  11. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Still a little high, but out of that dangerous level....that's good. Do you have instructions to go back to the doctor for a follow up check?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh my goodness, Janet - I quite forgot that you'd had a trochanteric osteotomy! Of course that could be why you have trochanteric bursitis! That was one of the many reasons surgeons stopped doing them.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. nanamac

nanamac Don

Lucky me! At 8pm my BP is 120/77! Talk about being a yo-yo! Still no stabbing pain, but a lot of discomfort. I keep icing and elevating but it hasn't changed.

Yes, I call them on Tuesday Jamie with an update and see the NP and the GP on Friday morning.

My GP wasn't there on Friday as she had already left and the other two partners were tied up so the NP added the latest drug to my other BP meds!

You shoud see my weekly pill box!

I swear now I have become opioid tolerant. In fact I know I was after the surgeries as they could NOT find the right cocktail of drugs to help ease the pain. This has been a terribly painful last 8 months. I'm saying "UNCLE" but it does no good...

Well, I know ther are people a lot worse off than me, however I'm beginning to believe that I'm NEVER going to be right...very discouraging...

So that's the lastest. It may come down to having the wires out. but my groin and inner thigh area just don't feel right. I wonder if in trying ti "patch" the protrusio they did something trying to fix my being toed in :sct:...

Jo, what do you remember about them stopping that procedure, the hypertension reason or other reasons? I need to be informed more than I have been..Thanks.
  14. sunshine

sunshine Graduate

Janet, I am happy about your MRI answers!!!:D I know you are too. And happy you enjoyed your reunion also but it was a bit long to be standing! Amazing what we can sneak by with, with a little help!!
    Hang in there your doing great!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Josephine

The trochanteric osteotomy fell out of favour because
    ~ the osteotomy sometimes failed to unite (heal)
    ~ the wires would break leading to non-union
    ~ the wires would cause bursitis and other soft tissue inflammations
    ~ the osteotomy and/or wires would cause long term idiopathic pain

There might have been other reasons but those are the ones that spring to mind ......
  16. nanamac

nanamac Don

Thanks Jo. I too looked it up and that is NOT what I had. What happened was, from my O.R. report, a good size piece of the femur broke off in a "V" shape when my femur was fractured.

That was why the femur/stem "fit" let go and it had to be put back with a longer stem and the wiring done.

That was all the fault of the rehab which is starting to make so much more sense to me.

Now I may be able to prove it with the before and after x-rays, even if it was cracked during the surgery. It may have healed by itself if I haden't gotten that shove onto my side...:skp:.

I think I may call back that lawyer...Thank's so much for enlightening me :wahey:!
  17. Josephine

:doh:My memory is letting me down big time! But the issue about the wires is much the same.

And to be honest, Janet, I think it entirely possible that sooner or later the fracture would have fallen apart even without that 'encouragement'. I really don't think the nurse can be totally blamed for it. She wasn't to know of it.
  18. nanamac

nanamac Don

Jo, If I can figure out how to download the disc with my x-rays from rehab BEFORE the shove there is no fracture. Then one was taken after I asked to go back to my hospital, still no fracture. It was after both of these x-rays that the shove happened and I have NEVER felt such pain in my life at that time.

I grabbed the CNA's arm and squeezed so hard that she yelled at me to let go. I was screaming back for her to let go of me.

I didn't see her for a while after that and then one day she appeared and said somthing to the effect of "no hard feelings? You really hurt me". Now mind you, I was on heavy duty pain medication at this time and never thought of letting anyone know about what happened. But I did expect her to.

It was after that when I couldn't do pt as I couldn't really walk and was yelled at by the covering GP that I had to do it, that I asked again to be brought back to my hospital.

At that point the fracture was clearly eveident on x-ray.

NOT ONE NOTE from a CNA was in my quite lenghty medical records from that facility and except for medication time THEY were the only ones caring for the patients! I never saw a nurse unless I rang for pain meds OR it was time for meds and that was that, NOT ONE NOTE!

Even when Kathall suffered her fracture she didn't have a redo. And it took 2 s-rays for hers to show up. If in fact I had a hairline crack and didn't get that final shove, I MAY have just healed too by being careful with it.
  19. nanamac

nanamac Don

BTW, while writing the above post, ALL except for 2 sentences disappeared on me when I went in to edit a spelling error ...:skp:

Moderator Note: Janet, I'm going to tag Rich so that he will see this error report. So sorry this happened to you! @RichardRobins:
  20. nadineme

nadineme Senior

Awwww Janet. I wish things were going better for you. Its such a long haul. Your a very patient woman to be dealin with this so well. I think I would be having a spoiled bratt hissy fit by now.

Take care girl. Prayers comin your way.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.