BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Hair growth on knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by stanjl50, Dec 28, 2009.

1. stanjl50

stanjl50 New Member

I am almost 3 months out from knee replacement. I wanted to ask a question that is not terribly crucial but is of interest to me. I have noticed (and so has my wife) that the hair growing on my knee after being shaved before surgery, is much thicker and darker than it was before the surgery and also thicker than on my other knee. It is as if someone had put Rogain on steroids on my knee. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, will the hair return to normal at some point?
  2. aussie

aussie Graduate

Hasn't happened to me, but I love your description and I look forward to hearing some of the answers.
  3. Pat29627

Pat29627 Post-Grad

United States United States
    I wondered if the increased blood supply or whatever makes it so hot when healing caused increased hair growth. I kept trying to shave, but was scared I'd cut myself since it was numb, but a few different times I'd see it in the light on the way to PT in the car and the hair would be long again and I'd wonder if I missed shaving it. That was just the first few weeks and it just seems normal now.
  4. Surfsister

Surfsister Senior

Ha ha!! I laugh because it did happen to me. Imagine my horror since I'm female!! When I shaved my legs I'd have to really give that knee some attention. That weird hair growth didn't last though. As the knee healed, the hair thinned and now my knee and hair in that area are pretty much back to normal. I'm glad you asked that question as I'd been wondering if I was the only person to whom that had occurred.
  5. Judles

Judles Alpha

Oh! Stunning "benefit"!!! Guess it's good timing for you for the winter!!! (:)0)
  6. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Stan, so glad you asked this question!!! It's a NEW ONE on me and I learned from everyone's response.
  7. Star727

Star727 Junior Member

I'm a female and currently have the same hairy problem. I'm 6 months out and its pretty bushy!!!! I've also noticed that the scar is lightening up a bit so I'll be patient about the increase of hair and will not try crazy methods to get rid of it. I'll just wait for it to go away on its own.
  8. Dawnie

Dawnie Graduate

Actually my OS laughed when I told him that my 6 yr old grandson told me 'sorry nan they must have only had hairy boys legs left when they gave you a new one'. He said it is caused by the nerves!, it is a common side effect, but not one they brag about, LOL.
  9. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There's been many comments about this on here. Never been able to find a real explanation though - just lots of personal opinions and theories.
  10. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

My opinion :wink: is that we're wearing looser clothing and that leg isn't being moved as much as the other one (at least not at first), so our clothing isn't doing the job of rubbing on our body.

Now that I'm wearing jeans daily, my leg hair growth is back to normal (on both knees).

What made me think of that was my mother's health issues. She spent the better part of the year wearing loose, billowy house-coat-style clothing (she had incisions on the inside of her leg, all the way from ankle to thigh, from an arterial bypass on that leg). Her leg hair growth increased from the better circulation AND because she wasn't wearing jeans or trousers to rub against the skin.

So, take that for what its worth... :D
  11. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Okay, here is a vote for no new hair growth on my knees. :pzld: But darn was it hard getting the rest of the legs kept shaved post op.
  12. betsy13

betsy13 Member

I didn't have a lot of hair growing around the knee, but it came in dark and hairy on the shin! I'm not going to hold my breath for it to go back to normal.
  13. sykeRN

sykeRN Member

I'm glad I read this post! I did have a hairy left knee after surgery--long and black--even my husband thought it was funny. This hyper hair growth went away after about three months. Very strange!
  14. Judles

Judles Alpha

Betsy!!! Better the shin than the chin!!! LOL!!! (:)0)
  15. betsy13

betsy13 Member

You're right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Judles

Judles Alpha

OH!,,,,,, For SU0E!!!!!! (:)0)
  17. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

Well, I had a thought about that this morning whilst doing my monthly pluck on my chin - all those years I spent plucking my eyebrows - seems like it's another of those things that complies with gravity over the years! :hehe:
  18. Marty

Marty New Member

Hi, I had the same problem. I had LTKR March 2009. Shortly after, I noticed the hair on my lower left leg , mostly up the shin, grew back so fast that I was shaving everyother day. It grew back much heavier than I ever remember. It was really back because I wore shorts to PT . I kept forgetting to ask my OS, so when my husband had arthro surgery in June, I asked his OS, and he said that it was from the increased blood supply post surgery (healing) and that it would eventually go back to normal, which it has. It was weird while it was going on, but it does stop.
    good luck. Marty
  19. betsy13

betsy13 Member

A friend told me you don't have hair on your chin. You have stray eyebrows. :D
  20. Josephine

Josephine Administrator