greater trochanter fracture

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipper

Hi Everyone,
I made an appointment to see me surgeon because after 4 months I was having a lot of pain that sounded (and felt) like bursitis. I saw him today and he gave me a cortizone shot. However, he did another X-Ray and noted that a fracture in the Greater Trochanter had not healed:sigh:. He was surprised. He told me that he is going to order a Bone Growth Stimulator. Has anyone had one of these and what was the outcome? Thanks for your help!

Hipper

I'm not familiar with a Bone Growth Stimulator, but let me tag Josephine so she can comment for you. @Josephine:

They've been around for a number of years and so far as I am aware, have a reasonably good record.

It's a small portable device that works through two electrodes applied to the skin, either side of the limb at the fracture site. A small electric current (which you will not be aware of) passes through the limb and causes the bone growth cells (osteoblasts) to increase tremendously. These cells are the front line to healing any bone damage. You will wear this device 24/7 for the period of treatment - though I would imagine you can remove it for showers! - but I have no idea how long the treatment lasts.

I would imagine the reason he has considered this treatment is that trochanteric fractures are sometimes quite difficult to get to heal because of the mechanical forces exerted upon the upper end of the femur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie