Grab Bars: how good are the suction ones?

bobslp

Has anyone used one of these and if so, how well do they seem to work? Right now, I have access to a walk in shower so I don't have to step up to get in and out but I would like to use my regular shower/tub since I had it remodeled before surgery.
I meant to install grab bars before surgery but never got around to it.

I tried them for my Mom, they did not fit on the tiles. One of the suctions cups was always over grout and would not stick. They may work on a solid surface. Even if they did stick, I would not trust them for more than a light touch for balance.
I would recommend installed grab bars, for improved security and safety.

I too investigated the suction cup grab bars and found them totally useless.
The strong grip would only remain for a minute and then the grip would loosen. I returned the ones I purchased.
Zorro

I have some in the bathroom , but have invested in a bath transfer board, I don't trust the suction ones, they do not last long on the tiles, the only place they do stay put are is the glass shower screen and I just use them to pull the shower screen closed. the best options are the handles that clamp onto the bath or the handles that you can screw in between the tiles into the grout.

I would not rely on the suction ones as could give way at any time

I used one - took as much care as I could to ensure it was securely attached. Cleaned the tiles carefully, dried them, applied some light glue to the suction pads, applied them as carefully and firmly as I could. Plus I never put my full weight on it but just used to to steady myself. Still came off in less than a month.

grab bar.jpg

For some reason these make me nervous, I invested in the shower-bath bench, mainly because I have a slippery bathtub and the thought of sliding scared me silly. I would prefer if it was installed with screws...into concrete!
I did get a shower mat that definitely helps!

I have two suction cup grab bars in my shower/tub which is a whole unit (tub/walls) I have used for awhile now. But I am careful not to put weight on them as they will break loose. And I check them before I grab them since I've been surprised before. I have a leased apartment I cannot make any permanent changes and needed something more steady this time around.

I found this Medline bathtub bar on Amazon.com and was amazed at how heavy duty it was, it took no tools to install, and for the price I don't think you can beat it. But, if you are tall it may not be for you - I am 5'3" and find I can rest my hand on the top rail without having to bend while I'm climbing in and out of the tub.

I did buy one of those bath tub bars but because my bath is contoured and curved it didn't fit properly and was loose so had to remove it

I bought one at Walgreens. There was a warning on the box about them not being safe. PT said not to use them. I keep one that is low to the tub where if it slipped I wouldn't fall. Just a handle to get in and out of the tub itself. I would have a plumber professionally install one in the studs or wherever. Sounds like it's a common additon to bathrooms these days.

My bath has two handles built in on either side but these ones seem to last longer especially on glass shower door

I bought a grab bar pre-op as I couldn't even make the 4 inch step up to the shower. There are two issues with these things.

1. Do not buy the cheap ones. They do fall off within weeks (days) and they are dangerous. The bar should have a strong grabber and a lever that creates a very strong suction. I installed mine and it never moved until I moved house.

2. You need to ensure the two suction ends are directly on a tile - not on grout lines. If your tiles are smaller than the surface of the suction ends you will not get the grip you need.

grabbar.jpg

That's the one I have Jaycey. It does get soapy or slimy and has to be cleaned. It will come off eventually.

I had one and my PT told me they're about as good as a towel rack and not to depend on their holding me if I began to fall.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom