BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

gout and artificial joints

Discussion in 'Social Room' started by janlyn48, Nov 29, 2011.

1. janlyn48

janlyn48 Sr Bonesmartie

I had a gout attack at 3am Sunday morning. I was awakened by excruciating pain in my big toe. I never experienced anything like it before. I treated myself with 600mg ibuprofen 4 times a day. The pain began to subside in a few hours and is minimal as I write this.

The reason I am posting this here is because the gout pain spread to my tkr and thr. My GP explained that the gout pain travels to the weakest joints first (big toes and artificial joints.) I talked to my OS and he said to follow the GP's instructions. I had lab work done today. Results tomorrow.

My GP is thinking the gout may have been brought on by other issues that I was dealing with: UTI, med change, spending more time on my feet than usual, etc.

I'm feeling pretty good at the moment but I was a little scared when the pain moved to my knee. Thankfully, it was temporary and I thought it was worth a mention.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Gosh, so sorry. That must have been very painful, and scary thinking something was amiss in your knee and hip!

My Dad had gout, always stayed in his feet, and an artificial hip. Later in his life they FINALLY got the gout under control with meds. Never recall it traveling to the hip.

Bless your heart...glad you are feeling better. Are they going to treat the gout permanently now?

Good info to know as I'd never heard of this.
  3. Bumpa

Bumpa Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry to read of your trouble janlyn48. I assume the lab tests are to check uric acid levels.
    If you forgive me I am reminded of an incident about gout when I was in the military in the early 60's in Paris. Amongst the 'clients' were a number of Admirals. They tended to suffer from gout - probably due to excess rum or port. Anyway the drug indomethacine (Indocid) had just been introduced and one of the indications was gout. However, as it was in Paris the local Merck Dohme company only supplied in suppository form. Convincing the Admirals to use a suppository for the pain in the foot was difficult! Another indication for this drug in the 70s' was for ectopic bone growth around artificial joints. Males were particularly susceptible to this. I have no idea what is used today for this condition.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. janlyn48

janlyn48 Sr Bonesmartie

Thanks for the replies Helen and Bumpa. :thumb:
    Yes, the lab is testing my uric acid level. The doctor said if it's above a "6" it will be a concern but that it would have to be way above a 6 for her to want to treat me with meds after just one incident.

Bumpa, funny story about the Admirals and the "form" of meds they had to use.:biggrin:
    I read that most gout sufferers are men who drink alcohol and eat red meat but that would likely be a huge population.:skeptical:
  5. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Last I heard it was still Indomethacine. Also ibuprofen, naproxen and celecoxib. There's a fare discussion about it here.
  6. sunflower

sunflower Graduate

Janlyn, I was diagnosed with psuedo gout and my rheumatologist prescribed colchicine (Colcrest) for my flare ups. Unlike regular gout, psuedo gout is the formation of calcium crystals rather than uric crystals and usually affects the knees and hips. After my TKR I thought I was out of the woods until I had a mild flare up with both knees and had to take a dose of my meds. Initially, I thought the stiffness was due to the weather change but when it lasted a week I knew it was another flare up. :DOH: Allopurinol is often prescribed for gout sufferers.
  7. janlyn48

janlyn48 Sr Bonesmartie

Thank you for the link Josephine,:thumb:

I know just what you mean!:sigh:

I did find out that my uric acid level is high but the doctor still doesn't want to treat me with gout meds after only one flare. We are taking the wait and see approach which I'm okay with. However, I will see my OS in two weeks and get his opinion on the subject.

I have so many aches and pains that it's hard to tell what's what. My main complaint has always been shooting nerve pain that seems to migrate from place to place. Since the gout attack, the shooting pains are in my foot but no more joint pain - if that makes sense.

I really appreciate all the replies and thanks for the drug info sunflower.:wink1:
  8. sunflower

sunflower Graduate

You're welcome Janlyn and I hope you find relief from your pain.