BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Getting up after a fall

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by sandcat, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandcat

sandcat New Member

I am a senior woman 8 months past my right TKR. My previous surgery of the L knee was several years ago. If both knees are damaged and one is repaired the body tends to lean toward the better side, hip and knee both play a tole. My leg was lengthened, my hip was still good. My leg feels stronger I feel more confident. I still had not remembered to ask my therapist how to get up after a fall.. Here I am reading all of your suggestions
    All fall I have been in a Seniors fit class twice weekly, I find my strength in climbing stairs has improved from the 'kindergarten one at a time' step to climbing without using the handrails. Still the fear of falling remains.
    I requested suggestions in exercise class, no one had a definite idea...we were sitting on exercise balls at the time. What a support group! They all said "If you can't get up from that ball we're all here to help you." And they did. Oh, that bouncy ball is really great for building core strength!

In class if I can't get back up I'll be doing this ~~~~ > :rotfl: It helps to have a good sense of humor and to know at least one short Prayer *Oh God! O God! * repeat as necessary

I know I have a 90 degree bend in both knees, I knew that day I had a chair behind me and likely could have slipped my bottom back onto the chair.
    If I walk outdoors and now since it is so icy covered with snow, even if I use walking sticks and boot grips I wonder how I will get up if I am alone. My next goal, while supervised, will be to practice using my stronger left knee to do the pushing after I lift myself using the poles. Indoors I feel I could get up using the stairs, having butt crawled to them.. That's a great belly exercise bye the way.
    Thanks for being here, for the encouragement.. Gramma K

2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello there and welcome to BoneSmart! We seem to have had a few threads about falling in the last week or two. If you have a look through this forum, you should find them. I think most people are afeared of falling -I know I am even at 3½ years!

Would you be kind enough put your surgery dates in your signature like the rest of us do. You can find the instructions here How to create a signature. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being 7th August 2000 rather than 2/8/00 or 8/2/00.

This also applies to anyone else who is reading here. Thank you.

3. Josephine

Almost forgot - you'd posted this in the pre-op forum but I've moved it into the recovery forum.

4. Brownie51

Brownie51 Post-Grad

United States United States
    Gosh I've never been happy on stairs, have always cautiously taken hold of the rail. I'm glad I don't have that goal! Even the escalator is a challenge!
    Wow that is an interesting predicament. How we should get up after a fall if no one comes to our rescue. Screaming for help for 10 minutes may not always work. Can't wait to hear everyone's advice on how to get up after a fall!

5. Brownie51

Brownie51 Post-Grad

United States United States
    Josephine I don't know why my age isn't showing. I put my birthday in to show year only but I don't see it on there, do you?

6. Josephine

You have to tick both both boxes, day+month and year before it will show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.