Getting things ready for RTKR on June 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freedom

graduate
Country
United States United States
Saw my PCP this morning for the surgery clearance.

I tried to discuss pain management with her but she didn't want to hear it. She said she is not involved in surgery. I must get another appt with the OS and be firm with him on what I expect.

One thing I did learn was, that if I had changed hospitals, I would have had to change PCP. Your PCP has to be on staff at any hospital where you have surgery. So glad I didn't follow that route, as I do like my PCP.

Oh, and I am down one pound since my January appt, which tells me I lost weight post op with the LTKR; the past 10 days I have felt lots better and started cooking again; I enjoy cooking.

I have 17 meals ready in the freezer, plus a list of ready made items I will buy and freeze a few days before.

And I also received the letter from my health insurance provider approving the surgery.

Sounds like you're getting all your ducks in a row. I have my pre-op with my PCP on Monday. Mind if I ask what that appointment involves? I love to cook too, and I'm trying to make and freeze some meals for friends and family who will be staying with me during recovery. I'm so glad to do this surgery in the summer! Living in MA, I'll bet you agree compared to the dark of winter for your left TKR.

@Happydale those dark evenings are why I decided to go ahead with the second knee now! My left was in January, and by the time I was ready to move, the evenings were later and I realized how nice that was.

We do pre op testing at the hospital. So this appointment was just for medical clearance. She reviews the meds you are on to be sure you are still taking them, listens to heart, lungs, very basic.

Of course being me, I have an issue and had to get a script for antibiotics. And she must have told me 4 times, you are getting yourself worked up just stop thinking about it; you are going for a nice ride in the car that morning, don't look any further ahead than that.

Ha! Easy for her to say!

Pre op testing at the hospital involved a nasal swap to rule out MSRA and one other super bug, a blood draw, and an EKG. For this knee, I have that on May 24.

Thanks, Freedom. One thing I'm reading that seems to be helping with my nerves is a book recommended on this website: Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster. It's written by a doctor who shows that relaxation strengthens the immune system. She gives you information on how to relax, and especially how to get yourself calmed down on surgery day. I'm not finished yet, but so far it's very comforting.

Correction: I didn't get this book idea from BoneSmart - not sure where it came from!

I'm going to look on Amazon for that book.

I found it on Amazon - book and quick start CD, or Meditation CD and Instructional CD.

I know I as over the top anxious the first time. I guess I need to get something to help me get through this one. Thanks for the suggestion, @Happydale - and yes, someone else had mentioned this to me about a week ago.

I just ordered it too! Thanks for the suggestion. I am very anxious and my surgery isn't until June 21. My boyfriend doesn't like to hear about anything medical and says he is not the caregiver type so I'm trying not to talk about the surgery. It is on my mind 24/7!

The CD you are talking about was very helpful to me pre op. I listened every night for about 3 weeks and sometimes fell asleep listening. The meditation part doesn't actually mention surgery, but helps you visualise yourself in the future well and able to do the things you love. I asked a nurse to say positive healing statements right before the anaesthetic and I really believe these helped. To hear someone saying 'you are safe' seems to switch off that 'fight or flight' reaction caused by the stress of the situation. Don't be afraid to ask if you would like a nurse or even the anaesthetist to do this for you. I'm glad I did.

I know what you mean, @Floridagal! I think about this 24/7 and the folks in my life surely don't want to hear about it constantly! So thank goodness for my BoneSmart friends who are always available. It's interesting to me to see how different folks are worried about different aspects of the surgery. One big fear for me, having never even been hospitalized, is how I'll feel the day of surgery - driving to the hospital, prepping, being rolled into the operating room. The relaxation and meditation exercises are really helping me with preparing how to talk to myself when I'm really freaked out. It also helps to know that I'm not the only one with excessive worries.

My nephew just recommended a stress reducer app for your phone. It is "calm app." There is a free trial for seven days. I don't know what it costs. Its a basic meditation with a beautiful scene and relaxing music. He doesn't know yet about my TKR. I think I will listen to it frequently as the surgery gets closer, maybe even in the car on the way to the hospital. By the time they wheel you into the OR you probably will have some sedation, especially if you tell them how anxious you are. I remember during my THR calmly looking around the OR and thinking that it was much different than I imagined. That was it. The next think I remember was being in my hospital bed.
BTW I am also from Michigan. I spent one summer in AA doing a Clinical Pastoral Education Program at University Hospital. That was a million years ago. AA is a wonderful town.

It's all anticipatory anxiety, your brain is telling you something bad is going to happen, and your body believes every word and produces those anxiety symptoms which are so unpleasant. I already had an anxiety disorder and my biggest fear (apart from snakes) has always been medical procedures, so this surgery was like my worst nightmare. But I got through it and you will too. Get everything you need ready in plenty of time. The day before surgery I made a batch of pecan cookies for the nurses and theatre staff, and it helped to be able to give something to the staff looking after me, apparently the surgeon and anaesthetist really enjoyed them. It sort of broke the ice. On the day, you will be busy getting ready, nothing bad will happen to you on the journey, and once you get there everything happens quite quickly. The reality is different from what you anticipate. Before you know it the surgery is over and you are in recovery.

@Tabbycat, what a great idea to make cookies for the nurses and OS! I make a mean island cookie with coconut, butterscotch chips and walnuts. There will be plenty to reward my brother and sister-in-law for coming to stay with me. Cooking always distracts me too. So it will help me keep my nerves in order the day before. :cheers:

Anything we can do to occupy our time is bound to help. And it's even better if we enjoy it! My kitties and church work keep me busy, but I still have time to think and worry. I'm getting a terrible case of the 'what ifs'! At least now I can walk, take care of the house and yard and my cats. What if I'm worse afterwards?! Then I think of the things that I love to do that I can't do anymore and I can't wait to get it done. I osculate back and forth, and back and forth! Crazy!!

You know, I was nervous about my first surgery (had never had major surgery before) but I was so happy to get it done and looking forward to the pain relief and stability in the knee that I was more excited than scared on the day. And Bonesmart really helped me know what to expect. Having an idea what to expect always helps when I'm anxious about something new. For the second knee I was actually pretty calm. Doesn't mean I didn't talk about it a lot, though. ha!

One thing I did learn was, that if I had changed hospitals, I would have had to change PCP. Your PCP has to be on staff at any hospital where you have surgery. So glad I didn't follow that route, as I do like my PCP.
Yep---that is pretty much the protocol around here, too. They want your GP or PCP to able to check in on you and, if necessary also order tests and such.

I have 17 meals ready in the freezer, plus a list of ready made items I will buy and freeze a few days before.
That is awesome!!! You are getting everything taken care of!! :thumb::thumb::wow:

Last visit to the surgeon, Apr 30, was a check up on the left knee and, as all was well, I asked about getting the right knee done. Got xrays, he said yes needs it (already knew that), set for June 1. Then I tried talking with him about pain management, as I had a time of it in January with the left knee. He got frustrated with me and walked out.

Last week I saw my PCP, as I had to get my clearance for surgery letter. She declined to talk about the surgery but she DID advise me to get another appt. with the surgeon - NOT a phone call, NOT an email, do a face to face. Took me 2 days, but I got my courage up and made the appt. That was this morning. I prepared, had handouts, etc. Especially helpful was the Pain chart on here, left side is what I had, right side is what I want. Hardly slept all night worrying about this meeting, how he would react seeing as I 'called' a meeting by making the appointment, would he walk out again the moment I started discussing pain issues.

He was calmer today, he listened to me, and at the end he said he wants me to meet with the Pain Management team at the hospital BEFORE my next surgery. He said to go over everything with them as I just had with him, and this will help have a plan in place if I need it. (Every knee is different, this right is not as bad as the left was -- I was on crutches for 2 months pre op with that one -- so I may not even NEED a back up plan. But if I do, we will have it in place.) This has really helped to drop my anxiety -- at least for today ha haaa. I'm sure I can find something new to worry about shortly.

I walked out feeling so proud of myself for doing all this! The folks on here have really helped me to learn how to negotiate the medical morass and get help for myself. @Josephine @Celle @referee54 @kneeper @Pumpkln and so many others, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done! You handled all that very well. :yes!:
I hope that the discussions before your surgery make your post op pain control much better.

Good for you taking control and making your doctor listen to you. Too bad every OS and therapist isn't required to have a TKR. I bet their tune would change then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dvivid