BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

getting in and out of a bath

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by keith55, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith55

keith55 Junior Member

What have TKRers found a good way of being able to get in an out of a conventional bath with a less flexible knee after surgery - once the wound has healed and can be immersed in water again?

2. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

From what I've heard you'll be able to get in long before you'll be able to get out. I imagine when you can sit on the floor and get up again, you can start thinking about the tub, which is slippery and hard. You should have someone on hand who is strong enough to help pull you up the first time. :bathtub:

3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have a shower instead! I wouldn't recommend trying to take a bath for the very :wink1:reasons Janet gave.

4. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

I was told 12 weeks but did it at about 9. It wasn't pretty!

5. Recycled

Recycled Senior

Use a bath seat/chair and a sprayer on a hose. And still as everyone has said, have someone on hand to hang on to you as you step in and out of the tub.

6. keith55

keith55 Junior Member

Thanks for replies - how about later on (e.g. 6 months) in normal recovery - no problem?

7. DogLady

DogLady Member

When I had a foot injury repaired several years ago, I had a big claw-footed tub in the bath. I found it very difficult to negotiate the tub. Mostly because I was very insecure about falling since I live alone. I very quickly brought a contractor in who removed teh tub adn replaced it with a fabulous walk in shower. So this time around I am set. Whew! A relief

8. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

Keith, I'm 4 months now and it's been fine for a couple of months now although I do hold on to the sink as I step over the bath, carefully!

9. highland pony

highland pony Member

My shower is on the bath so I will have to at least step over the side to get a proper wash I am assuming that it will be possible to do that a very long time before you can lie in the bath

10. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

The info in this thread is a bummer! Give up baths? For me, showers = personal hygiene and baths = an ahhhhh relaxing, de-stressing, slice of heaven! A good book, a cup of tea or a glass of wine, and the the big, jacuzzi tub...well, it is simply orgasmic! Please say it isn't so!

11. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

Well, you'll just have to find THAT somewhere else for awhile! :blush:

12. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

:biggrin:

13. keith55

keith55 Junior Member

I have the same situation though I do need to renew the bathroom. I thought I'd wait until I get through TKR whether to stick with shower over bath or change to a walk in shower. I prefer to keep the bath but I could live without it in exchange for being able to walk and be without pain.

14. ladyj

ladyj Member

I have a walk in shower, a bath, and a bidet, so I feel sure I will manage, but I just love my baths and will not be happy until I can get back in there. I have recently had the bathroom refitted and the bath was put in as low as possible because with my existing knee damage I wouldn't be able to get in and out otherwise. I do hope it will be either easier, or at least no harder after the TKR.
    I think probably a small plastic seat to go in the shower might be a good idea.

15. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

The first couple of times I found myself being a little uneasy. But in time its just like old times. I had a hand held shower head put in so I could stand or sit and still get wet. Also I could aim it at the muscle that hurt so it could get warm or message and feel better. A shower is easier to get in and out but I don't have one. I have a workout place not to far from me and I would walk to it when I was strong enough and take a shower and sit in the saura and relax. However when you are taking medicane be careful because some pain pills can make you very weak when you get warm. However the first shower after operation is GREAT! All will work out but do take care and be very careful. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:flowerysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States
    X2---right now, I would worry more about safety---until you are flexible enough and strong enough, i would think that a shower should suffice and a bath can wait.

17. keith55

keith55 Junior Member

I have a shower over the bath and a bath board. So the plan was initially to take a shower either sitting down or standing up. There are grab handles (put in by social services) and I was thinking I could manoeuvre myself onto the bath board then haul myself up using the grab handle. I have a non-slip bath mat. Would that be viable? The shower head is detachable but I have to switch it on standing up - I could do that before sitting on the bath board.

I live in a first floor flat. There are three flights of stairs between the front door and my flat (which is all on one level). There is a lift and three steps down from the lift to my flat. Problem is the lift is not opening on the ground floor currently. I've been nagging the managing agents about this for ages and they know I have a TKR planned. Three steps seems doable post-op but 16 in 3 flights - that is not so good.

Please don't respond with an unthinking "don't worry you'll be alright". This is a practical question. Has anyone got any experience of dealing with steps immediately post op i.e. on return from hospital. I know they train you to go up and down steps but I've seen the pictures - they're only little artificial flights of say 3, 4 or 5 steps.

18. Phoenixx29

Phoenixx29 Senior

Well, I don't have first hand experience yet. But here's my 2 pennies worth....

On the bath question - if you have good upper body strength and the grab handles are strong enough to take your weight, then your plan might work. But if it was me, I wouldn't want to take the risk. In my case although I have a bath board taking a bath is just not an option as there is no way I could lift myself out. If you really want to take a chance, I would make sure that there is someone there to help if you run into trouble.

With regards to those stairs. 3 flights of stairs I too would worry about! I find the task of getting upstairs daunting enough as it is - and that's pre-op, one flight of stairs. You need to nag the managing agents until they got it sorted. Isn't that what they get paid for? Surely from a health and safety point of view they are legally obliged to have the lift in working order, particularly since they know about your upcoming operation. Is there anything in your contract in that respect?

• Like Like x 1
  19. keith55

keith55 Junior Member

Thanks phoenixx29 that was good advice. I meant taking a shower though not a bath i.e. sit on bath board then haul myself up to a standing position to take a shower - or take the shower sat on the board. I'll have to be able to get myself on and off the bath board though.
    I've chased the agents and the lift is working at the moment but I don't think any permanent repair has been done.

20. lh25

lh25 Member

Yes, the steps they train you on are only 3-5 steps, but that's really enough to learn how to do them. I found once I knew how to navigate, the number of stairs(within reason) didn't matter much.

And I do have experience with this, I live in a split -level(2 story) house. There are 7(I think, need to count) steps on each flight, so I'm doing 14 steps going up and down. I used a cane for the first 6-7 weeks just to feel safe, and was fine from the day I got home from the hospital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.