Frightened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyGrandma

My Knee Replacement is scheduled for March 27...and I am so scared. Mostly scared about coming home just 3 days after Surgery....Am thinking about asking my Surgeon if I can go to a Rehab Facility for a few days or so just to give me a little more time to heal. Are any of you going to a Rehab Facility before going home...I guess insurance pays for that also...Would appreciate any comments anyone has about this...Thanks, Carol

Hi Carol - glad you posted this in the forum. You'll get lots of community support now which is what this forum is all about!

First thing to address is that it's perfectly natural to be scared/anxious/terrified. Everybody is, believe me, it's normal. And those who say otherwise are either ABnormal or lying!

Do I take it from your post that you live alone? Well so do I and I actually managed quite well! Read this My knee recovery - UK style.

But lots of people have used Rehab though by all accounts, some are good, some awful and others are indifferent. Experience varies greatly. We don't have such facilities in the UK so I had no choice but to go straight home.

There are some things you need to bear in mind though; before discharge, your PTs will want to be sure that you can do certain things like do toilet, wash and dress yourself, get into and out of bed unaided, prepare yourself a simple snack and, if you have them, do stairs safely. Until you have demonstrated you can, you will not be cleared for discharge.

Another point the remember is that you won't be discharged because you are recovered but TO recover. This means taking lots of rest, doing minimal activities and NO housework of any kind for at least 4 weeks! Other than that it's our mantra which is rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock!

Here is some good reading for you!
My knee recovery - UK style (Josephine)
The Comprehensive list of useful items and tips for hospital and recovery

And now the set of recovery articles:
The first set is essential reading, the second is useful and the third is good information, But you will need it all
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Crafty-

I'm assuming your healthcare is paid for thru Medicare so you should be eligible for some time in Rehab after your surgery. Read thru Jo's library which is chockful of useful info but bear in mind that a lot of the info is UK based and things are quite a bit different in the USA. Everyone here will attest that you will be up the day after surgery and walking on that leg, sounds scary, but it's actually pretty anti climatic. The most important thing you can do is make certain you are prepared at home with grab bars in the bathroom, a toilet riser if necessary and a walker. You will also needs 3 or 4 large gel packs for icing. Bear in mind that Rehab will go thru a checklist with you prior to discharge concerning what you may or may not need in the way of equipment when you go home. They will have a company on hand to give you all necessary equipment which you will carry home with you when you leave Rehab. Best of luck!

Hi, Crafty....welcome to BoneSmart. I'll second everything said above. You will probably be okay to come home directly from the hospital, but if it seems more comfortable to you, you can ask your doctor to approve some time in a rehab facility.

If you're medical expenses are covered under Medicare, there are some specific rules for where you can go. You might do some checking on that now so you will be prepared to tell the hospital social worker where you prefer to be.

Some "rehab" centers are little more than glorified nursing homes and, if you are an active person normally, you might not be as comfortable there. Rehab centers that accept Medicare patients usually have a Medicare wing that is fairly small, so sometimes it's difficult to find a bed. But that's something the hospital social worker will help you with should you decide to go.

The best thing I can suggest is that you do some checking and start talking about it as soon as possible with your medical team.

I agree with the suggestions to check around a little now for rehab centers that take Medicare. My FIL was actually on Medicaid in our state, and he was able to go to rehab for I think a little over a week after his knee replacement, in part because my MIL wasn't physically able to care for him, so you should be able to go as well if you need to. But beds can be limited and it would be nice to know what options you have ahead of time. I'd even visit the ones I were interested in.

Good luck!

I went to rehab for my knee and hip. I found that when I went home I could walk well with a walker and could do anything that was needed to be done. I found that that the food was good and ok. The places really had good idea on how to handle and do things. I also must add I belong to a HMO so I don't know if that means anything but I thought I would mention it. I was there almost two weeks which was a little long for me but that is what the surgen wanted so I did it. Don't regret it. I do live alone also. I hope this gave you some information. Take care.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:flowerysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member