THR Frequent urination post op

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenboots

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am 69, female and 5 weeks post op for a right total hip replacement. Since the op I have to pee every two or three hours through the night. Day time is normal. There is no infection and my surgeon says he has never heard of this before. I have just finished taking Rivaroxaban . Anyone else have this problem? Any idea when things will return to normal?

@goldenboots Welcome to BoneSmart and congrats on that new hip! Frequent urination post op is very common. They pump you full of fluids pre, during and post op. Many people are shocked at the weight gain just post op due to fluids. Not sure why your doc hasn't heard of this - many of our members have this complaint.

The good news is things should ease with time. Five weeks is still early out. Keep drinking lots of water - good for the body as you heal.

I hope you will come back and tell us a bit more about your situation. I look forward to following your recovery.

Good to hear from you goldenboots. I have been having to get up twice in the night to go to the loo since my op. Never had this before. For the first few days I put it down to an irritation from the catheter but now in my third week it is still on going so do not know what it is. Quite frustrating and tiring though!

Thank you for your replies. It's exhausting isn't it? I haven't slept through the night for five weeks! Neither my GP nor my surgeon have any ideas but I'm hoping I will grow out of it!

Right THR 29th December 2014

YES it happened to me for the first 4-5 weeks post op. I was panicked by it and had to stay near the bathroom or else especially at night. My surgeon said all the extra fluid from all the selling I had has to be expelled somehow. Not sure if that was it or if my bladder was just irritated from the catheter.

Thank you for the article,very interesting if no answers and for the reassurances. I am seeing the GP again on Thursday though she seemed stumped at the first visit two weeks ago.

It sounds like it is a bit of a waiting game but seems to right it self eventually (?). We just won't thrive with the lack of sleep whilst we are waiting though. Everything seems to take longer than I thought, not difficult when I thought I would be back to normal within 2 weeks! Let us know if GP comes up with any ideas. Thanks
Karen

I will, Karen. I had hoped that it was the Rivaroxaban that was causing it but I took my last one on Monday and was still up to pee at 1, 3 and 5 am having gone to bed at 11pm! I'm wondering how long it takes for the drug to be completely out of your body. Are you taking the same anti DVT drug?
I wish you well with your recovery. :)

I am taking anti DVT drug - Pradaxa (dabigatran) with another 10 days to go. Think it is different from yours. I cannot see anything to do with urine in their side effects though. I m now trying to drink lots of water before 4pm and not much after that to see if it helps- who knows?!

Hello everybody,
I solved this myself! I stopped the codeine for a few days as it wasn't needed and I stopped needing to pee five times a night. I had to start the codeine again, just in the evening, after a hard day and, guess what, five times up in the night again. The codeine leaflet actually mentions less frequent urination when taking the drug. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has found that codeine causes frequent urination.
All the best to all of you in your recoveries. Sleeping through the night has certainly boosted my recovery.

Hi I am happy this question was mentioned did not know how to ask as having the same problems. I am not only having it at night but all day to very frequently . Now at 7 weeks finding it is sorting out no where near the problem but how frustrating when most of your movements are getting up and down just to use the commode. I just seemed to go there and then settled then back up. Wondering if it was due to medications or being diabetic but very tiring up and down through day and night probably at least every hour at one point not normally this way.

Thinking of how much intravenious fluids given different medications guess it could be why now seeing not along with this so might just be part of the process for some of us. Now off of morphone which they said made urination less but wondering if this is why not having the problem no longer taking pain medications.

Now happy that it is all set just a few times at night just a couple through the day. Had the same problem on last surgery but not this far along it had sorted out earlier. Happy to have it over with now back to normal but going to ask my doctor at appointment in a few weeks as not a pleasant thing but it does stop or at least mine did. Whew so happy it is all sorted out. Holly

Glad you are sorted out now too. It is so tiring to be up so much in the night isn't it? All the best in your recovery. Take care :)

I had the same experience, goldenboots. I had to pee 3 times a night for the first 4 weeks or so. I'm now 8 weeks postop and now I usually get up only once during the night. I haven't noticed much of a difference during the day, although I would say I am probably going somewhat more frequently. It's not as much of a problem as getting up at night, though.

I'm at +5weeks and still doing the middle-of-the-night bathroom run. And of course getting out of bed is pretty much the last thing you want to do, right? However I think I'm now waking up more because of lying on my back rather than an urgent need to pee. Can't wait til I can sleep on my side once again

I'm finding this very interesting as neither my Dr nor my surgeon had had this reported before and yet, clearly, it affects plenty of us. It is a great relief when
1 you are allowed to sleep on your side again and
2. You no longer need to pee three , four even five times a night! Once a night is such a relief!
Keep up the exercises everyone and have a good recovery :)

Hi @goldenboots
My getting up to pee in the night cured it self by about week three. BUT it is terrible when it is an added factor to hindering sleep. How strange that the doctor had not heard of this!
Hope all is progressing for you!
Karen

Actually frequent urination in the night is a very common problem after surgery! It does work itself out over time, but how frustrating when all you want to do is sleep and not have to stumble to the bathroom! I slept with ice packs all night, so potty time was med time and ice renew time. So I guess it all worked out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member