BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Floor (Sitting down and Standing up)

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by margaretd, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. margaretd

margaretd Senior

Ok, how does one go about sitting on floor, and then getting up? I am supposed to start yoga this thursday, and can do it in a chair if necessary, but I would really like to get all the benefits from the floor, but have not even tried to get down there yet simply because I might not be able to get up! Might not be able to get allthe way down either....any ideas?:scratch:
  2. janlyn48

janlyn48 Sr Bonesmartie

I would like to see an answer to this too. I have not been able to get down and up from the floor since I had my hip replaced (4 years ago). I was afraid I would dislocate the hip.

Now, with my new knee, I wonder if it's possible, or at least, how to go about doing it?

I tripped over a laundry basket last year and sprawled across the floor. Fortunately, I could scoot on my butt until I reached the hall where there were 2 steps down into the living room.

Now I am concerned about being able to get off the floor for safety reasons.

(Didn't mean to high jack your post margaretd but your question is a good one.):thumb:
  3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am still leery of getting down on the floor. Apart from just being anxious, I have two rather painful shoulders which might compromise my ability to get up! But I did manage to sit on a very low stool recently - about 12" high - and get up off it without pulling on or holding onto anything! I was soooo delighted at that!
  4. janlyn48

janlyn48 Sr Bonesmartie

That's impressive.
    :thumb:
  5. NaNaKnees

NaNaKnees Senior

Hi, Margaret. I can finally get down into my bath tub but I haven't had the nerve to try to get down onto the floor. In the tub, I have a grab bar on the wall and lots to hang onto to support myself. My hubby also keeps an eye on me just in case. Without those supports I would not be able to do it. The floor would not offer those supports.

I hope you get some more answers to this, because I would sure like to be able to accomplish this as well. Thanks for bringing the subject up. A number of people on this forum have mentioned gardening. I wonder if they actually get down on their knees to do it. Take care and hope you get an answer from someone who has tried it.
  6. sunflower

sunflower Graduate

The way I do it is I get down on my good knee, bend forward and place hands on the floor, bend other knee and and roll to the good side until my bottom is on the floor. I do my stretching and when I'm ready to get up, place hands on the floor, I kneel on my good knee, bend the TKR knee to 90 degrees, place my hands on the thigh and push against it as I rise.

Having a chair available to help stabilize and balance you as you get up and down from the floor also helps. Here is a video of a 6 week TKR patient getting up and off the floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8n-VYE4orc
    • Like Like x 1
  7. margaretd

margaretd Senior

OMG!! 6 weeks????? I just do not believe that at all!! No way, naha, forget it, that has got to be wrong...6 weeks????
    I will try it myself, 8 months Post op, and see what happens, but only when hubby is here to pull my butt up off the floor when I find myself stuck down there!
  8. darncat

darncat Junior Member

Sunflower, that was a great way to explain the floor thing. I'm 8 weeks out today from TKR and have been doing the floor thing for 2 or so weeks! I keep forgetting that I have this new knee and am back to basically my old life... :yes 4: well except for the FIRST time I got down on the floor...and I realized that I was going to have to figure out how to get up!!:hysterical:
  9. sunflower

sunflower Graduate

Margaret, the person in the video does seem to be rediculously flexible--especially when she's sitting cross legged. :skeptical: I can't bend my knee like the other one yet, but I digress. Perhaps your yoga instructor can be your getter upper person in class. :thumb:

Darncat, lol. Not long after surgery I sat down and then it dawned on me that I had to figure out how to get back up. :blush: I think I scooted over to the ottoman and lifted myself up. My big german shepherd was there to give me a big slurpy kiss just in case I got stuck.
  10. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

I just sit down on my bottom with my legs crossed and then I have my hands behind me (legs still crossed) push and lean forward and stand up. I have been doing this since week 4. I think my loose joints and flexibility has helped.
  11. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Senior

I have not been on the floor since my surgery. After I read this post,I want to try and do this up and down from the floor. I will report back after I give it a try. :th_heehee:
  12. referee54

referee54 Moderator

United States United States
    I love to get down on the foolr and restle with my dogs... so,

I start by bending forward at the waist , reaching down to the floor with my hands; I then kick my feet back a little and pivot my rear end to the floor. Then, lower myself down. To get back up, I simply reverse the process. Sometimes I will do a "Chair push up" and climb up that way.

Doesn't make much sense, but that is the best that I can do in describing it...:snork:
  13. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

United States United States
    I can get down on the floor by bending down to one knee, then the other. I don't like to do it, but I can do it. I asked my surgeon about it last month at my two-year follow-up and he said some people never get used to that feeling and simply avoid getting down on their knees.

As for me, I'm going to use it as an excuse for as long as possible. It saves me from having to clean under things.

Yes, that's reason enough for me. :wink1:
  14. eeskiracer

eeskiracer Junior Member

I find this video seriously hard to believe, especially sitting cross legged at 6weeks?? I would love to see the statistics on how many people can even sit like that at 4 months?
  15. carollangford

carollangford New Member

I am starting pilates again on saturday, 11 weeks post op on left knee 8 months right knee....I am hoping that the pilates exercises will help me to become a bit bendier and, therefore, help me to get up and down from the floor. In the meantime I make sure that both my sisters are there to help me up so I don't make a complete prat of myself:hysterical:
    wish me luck
    x
  16. goodasnew

goodasnew Graduate

Sunflower, I just tried your way of getting on and off the floor - I tried it first on the bed so I wouldn't hurt myself if I rolled over! I managed it OK and have just done it for real on the floor much to my daughter's amusement - she did clap though when I got up!

Another milestone! That's made me feel better about today!
  17. Dewy

Dewy Member

I've been able to get down on the floor and get up again without difficulty for some time now - I've not really thought about it.

I've done it a couple of times now to see what I do. Sometimes I just push off with my hand and stand up, but that only works because my legs flex a lot, so probably not much use to many others. The other way I sometimes use is similar to Sunflower's where I knee on my good leg and push off from that - that requires less much less flexion and is also more comfortable.

PS I can also sit cross-legged like the person in the video, but this isn't completely comfortable yet.
  18. Pilarknee

Pilarknee Member

My mom frightened me, when, in order to show me that she could get into the bath tub, she let her go down to the floor when she was at the edge of the bed, and sat on the floor. OMG!, I started to think about calling the emergency service, but then so naturally, she got up by using the arms leaning on the bed behind her. :hysterical:
    If you have strong arms, use them.
  19. 11995533

11995533 Junior Member

I am so impressed with all the respones. I am only two weeks past my RTKR and am having sciatica pain. I miss yoga so much and I am trying to incorparate it into my PT. I think if you are flexiable and bendy, which is one of the things that Yoga does for you, you will figure it out. Start Yoga on the chair. I went to a chair for yoga after both of my scopes and worked my way back down to the floor. Sounds like a ridiculas statement doesn't it?
  20. sunflower

sunflower Graduate

:yes 4: :yahoo: :yay:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.