First Outing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda2

post-grad
Wish me luck, guys. After PT today Bill and I are going on our first post-surgery outing. We're going out for dinner. If I'm still feeling perky after that, we may try Meijer's or Walmart for a cane. I'm not supposed to use one until after I see the OS on Thursday, but I'm thinking I'll be prepared. To tell the truth, I often take off without the walker in the house. My operated leg bears weight quite well--it's just the darn flexion that's the major problem. I simply must get enough mobility back to sit down and get up off my low garden seat. I haven't been able to kneel since I was in my 20's, but that little stool is an important part of my life. I really miss working in the flowers. They all need deadheading, more water than my dh gets around to giving them, and just a good talking to.

I will be quite the sight in my shorts and TEDS, but to heck with the gawkers, it's time to get out there.

Hope you have a lovely evening.

You will be tired and thrilled. Enjoy and try not to over do it. Most of all, enjoy getting your life back. Jen

Linda
Have a great time! I remember by first outing. My son and daughter-in-law took hubby and I to Logan's steak house. I wore my jeans so my ted hose would not cause a commotion!!! My walker did enough of that. People act like they have never seen someone use a walker before.
I have not had a problem with pants bothering my scar. I am lucky with that, as I wear scrubs to work.
I did however go out to other places with my shorts and ted hose. I was hoping I would start a new fashion trend!!!
Enjoy yourself and eat up!!!!!

Hello Linda,

Hope you have a wonderful evening, enjoyable dinner, and maybe a sip of wine if you're off pain meds. You can always ride the powered carts at Wal Mart. Take care, Tom

Hello Linda,

Hope you have a wonderful evening, enjoyable dinner, and maybe a sip of wine if you're off pain meds. You can always ride the powered carts at Wal Mart. Take care, Tom

Tom you're funny. I can see it now. A little wine, a litte pain meds, a little walmart powered go cart and the cane to swat 'em all out of the way!

Linda,
Go out. Over do it and have a blast. You can always sleep it off when you get home.

Make sure you get a fully charged cart at Wal Mart. My mother got one, made it to the back of the store, and it stopped. My sister said she wasn't a happy camper.

Linda,
Go out. Over do it and have a blast. You can always sleep it off when you get home.

Make sure you get a fully charged cart at Wal Mart. My mother got one, made it to the back of the store, and it stopped. My sister said she wasn't a happy camper.

Oh Yeah! that was exactly what happened to me in costco. It was before my surgery and we were doing the stock up on easy cook foods for hubby making dinners. We just left it by the pharmacy. Too funny. thanks guys for the smile.

Before my surgery, we went to Walmart. They gave me a brand new one to ride around in. GOOD GRIEF! That thing FLEW! But boy, when I let off the
"go" button, there was NO coasting, NOT EVEN AN INCH. BAM, you just stopped. I thought I was gonna have to have them work on my neck while they worked on my knee! My hubby just about laughed himself silly!
If they ever have a motorized cart race at Walmart I want the new one!!!

I had a very successful outing. At physical therapy I made the bike go all the way around!!!!! I got the flexion up to 109 degrees. I took a pain pill on the way out since it wasn't time to take one before PT. Then we went out to dinner at a nice local restaurant. A former student was hostessing, so I was treated very well. I had prime rib, baked potato, and asparagus. Of course I couldn't eat it all, but the dog was pleased. Then we went to Wally World and I walked everywhere. I didn't need golf cart thing. Actually it was kind of funny--the people who were riding that must not have really needed them looked guilty when they passed me. I bought a very inexpensive cane, and we bought a few groceries. On the way home, we stopped at a Starbuck's to get me one of my favorite treats--Frappacino mocha light. Yummm. I was away from the house for 3 and a half hours, and I'm not even feeling all that worn out. I will elevate my leg and ice when I'm done here. What a difference three weeks makes!!

Wonderful linda. So happy for you. Frappacino mocha light? Sounds good. Yes, the cart at costco for me, i almost had a little wind in my hair. A little scary til I got the hang of it. Then it died. Better on your own steam huh!?

Hey Linda,
Congrats on your outing! Just remember to slow down, you get to walking too fast and you might get a speeding ticket! :) Isn't it the best feeling in the world? I still feel like the apron strings from pain have been cut!
Have a good evening.

Linda-- it just keeps getting better as you get more and more of your life back! Enjoy! You will still have rough days, but the good ones get to be more frequent and pretty soon it is just a knee and no longer the focus of your daily life. It's a great feeling!

That's fantastic Linda--so glad to hear you are doing better.

Be careful overdoing it. I found I would always "pay" for too long an outing for a day or two after :)

I don't use the electric carts but my wife has me push the regular cart and it provides me enough support to walk without the cane.

That's fantastic Linda--so glad to hear you are doing better.

Be careful overdoing it. I found I would always "pay" for too long an outing for a day or two after :)

The odd thing I've noticed is that I have a terrible time sleeping the night after PT. I've been three times now, and it has happened all three times. I figure I have just enough more pain that I can't quite get comfortable.

The odd thing I've noticed is that I have a terrible time sleeping the night after PT. I've been three times now, and it has happened all three times. I figure I have just enough more pain that I can't quite get comfortable.

Oh gosh Linda it was the same for me for quite awhile! It's better now but I still take a couple ibuprophens before bed on therapy day :)

I don't think I'm supposed to add the ibuprofen along with the relafen and the dilaudid. :) Pain does continue to be an issue, but it is sporadic. Yes, Jo, I do try my darndest to stay on top of it. Pain can be sneaky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom