BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Fibromyalgia and knee replacement

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by saraluke, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saraluke

saraluke Junior Member

Hi all - has anyone else on here ever been diagnosed with fibro? I have had since 2000 but always kept it at bay without medication - mainly by seeing an osteopath who helps me a great deal. Anyway, the fibro has been on the quiet side for a long while now ( the desperate feelings of exhaustion and sleeplessness)......I am now 9 weeks out of my TKR and since going back to work part time last week I have felt dreadful. The knee in itself is not so bad at all, just the rest of me! No stamina, extremely light headed and dizzy and literally dragging myself out of bed etc...so tired and not being able to sleep and generally feeling like I have taken steps back. Is this still recovery of has the fibro devil raised it's mighty head again? My doc cannot prescribe sleeping pills anymore and wants me to try amitryptiline(?)..... what to do??? I feel I just needs some energy........

2. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Sara...so sorry your fibro has flared. BUT you also need to know that besides the fibro you are still healing which requires lots of energy as well. My daughter was diagnosed with fibro about the same time as you. Her's has been in and out of remission.

You may need to go see your osteopath and see if you need to be taking some supplements. A couple of things that MIGHT help is to decrease the amount of non-whole grain breads/donuts etc you are eating. Try to do away with processed foods as much as possible. Stick with fresh or frozen veges and meat. Fruit is also a great source of vitamins and sweetness. Try not using any of the artificial sweetners (Truvia, Stevia are natural substutes, so you can use them). Be sure to get enough calories, don't try to diet or scrimp right now.

Rest...you know of course that your body only heals when there is adequate growth hormone. Growth hormone is only made when you rest. If you come home from work exhausted, get a snack, and take a SHORT nap. As far as your sleeping meds, your osteo can help you make a smart choice there.

I hope something I have suggested might help you. :cnsl:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Barb is right. At 9 weeks, you're in the peak of stamina/energy draining healing and recovery. Take it easy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    I agree, Sara....you're still healing. Is it possible to delay going back to work for a while longer?

• Like Like x 1
  5. saraluke

saraluke Junior Member

Thanks for your replies, you can always count on bonesmart to lift spirits and give good sensible advice...I am trying to eat really heathy foods and on the advice of here and my osteopath, will take Vit B6, calcuim, magnesuim and Vit D. And....take it easy at work also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.