Feeling upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

gertie

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Mostly the prep visit w os and his np was fine but....the practice hands out strict precautions for 3 months regardless of the approach used. It's freaking me out. And the sheet they gave me says things like I should only sit for short periods and only sit in hard chairs with straight backs and arms. For 3 months? Not going to happen.

It seems like all or nothing. Maybe something like that makes sense for the first week or two (although I don't have any chairs like that in my house) but for 3 months!!!??

Feeling really overwhelmed and upset right now-and confused. This os does an approach that from everything I've read doesn't usually require precautions. And I'm confused by the OS saying he doesn't really believe in precautions but since he's the new guy he's abiding by them and his staff is handing out these sheets.

C'mon everyone--are they important or not? And if they are, 6 weeks seems manageable but 3 months???!!! Is that just cya? (That's the one that really freaked me out as you can no doubt tell--I'll be back at work by then--no way I can maintain strict precautions when I'm out and about in the world and I sure am not staying home for 3 months!) how do I zip up my winter boots if I can't bend down? A grabber won't work. Take the recycling out to the curb? Pick up the cat? I can get help w things like that for a few weeks but not 3 months (I live alone).

I'm with you Gertie - I've been wondering all the same things you have posted so I'll be anxious to how the others reply to this......

Hello @gertie. I've never heard of 3 month restriction. The hard straight chairs with arms, chair with arms defiantly to help getting up. Sitting for short periods, yes. Got a recliner? I spent the money for one and I'm glad I did. You can sit up for a time then recline for a time. Getting up and moving into your bed to rest. I wouldn't be able to do 3 months, doubt anyone could. The first 4 weeks I found the most trying physically and mentally. I'm praying to go back to work soon, part-time if necessary. It's going to work out find. Remember people are here to help you through the confusion and give suggestions to enable you to do what you need to do. Don't get stuck in over thinking. You said your surgeon gave you the impression he doesn't want to restrict you as others there. Talk it out with him, stay connected here. I honestly have found myself breaking restricted moves not thinking about it. I just would. Figured okay, no pain just don't push the restriction and cause pain. Talk to your surgeon one on one.

Does sound slightly over the top to me on the face of it. I have a recliner (as many do on here) which I bulked up with a firm cushion to raise me a bit. I actually didn't want to sit for lengthy periods early on as I stiffened up, so needed to get up and stretch my legs at intervals. But I would say mostly by 6 weeks I was able to operate pretty well. I'm probably not best to comment as I've got a second hip to be done shortly so my mobility is restricted as a result and I had posterior approach, but I agree with @julesglass, it would make sense to talk to your OS and get his word on it. In the meantime try not to panic - once you've got a clearer view it will settle your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all but talking to the surgeon isn't an option. I saw him for 5 min today and the np was there and except for a brief visit on the day of surgery I don't see him again until February. First two followups are w assistants. I think if I called and wanted to talk to him I'd be shunted off to an assistant. One of the things I don't like about this practice but technically they're good.

Please don't let all this get to you. It sounds like you have a rational surgeon who understands your concerns but is trying hard to cooperate with the new practice he's just joined. Restrictions are not carved in stone for anyone no matter what approach is used. It's not as though you violate a rule by a tiny bit and your hip has a major problem. You are going to feel when you are pushing things a bit too much and you'll naturally respond and pull back from the activity. That's called "listening to your body" and we encourage everyone to do a lot of it in those early weeks of recovery.

It would be helpful if you had at least one chair with arms to sit in part of the time. It could be an arm chair or a dining room chair or even a computer chair if it is on carpet so it doesn't roll wildly when you sit down. But if you don't have that, you'll just need to find a place that's comfortable for you to spend your time during the day....or maybe several spots so you can move around the house a bit. It will work out.

Take the 3 month restriction with a grain of salt. It is a CYA approach that not everyone would need. However, since we do recommend that folks not go back to work until 10-12 weeks out, I am a bit concerned that you may go back too soon. That is something to pay attention to because you are still healing in those weeks and you'll get very tired easily. Some people do work, but it's more difficult because they are still recovering.

Some suggestions for the activities you mentioned:

Tie string loops on the zippers of your boots so that you don't have to bend as far over to get them zipped up. Or you can hook the string loop in your grabber and pull them up.

If your recycle bin is not on wheels, put it on a dolly to get it back and forth from the curb. Or use a wheelbarrow or garden cart. Or hook a rope around it and pull it. Or have a neighbor help you out. Or get a couple of boxes and just let the recycles pile up for a while during your recovery (the world won't end if they are not dumped on schedule).

There are always creative solutions to any daily living problems that are out there. We can help you brainstorm ways to deal with them. Others have made it through this time and you will too. This is an "unknown" and it's very normal to have worries about things we aren't sure of. We're here to help you get through it!

Are you in the US? Had a THR 2 weeks ago and all the physio said is sit in a firm chair . Did not really give a time limit . The fist two weeks so painful I could not sit in anything but a firm chair but used a garden chair .. Or you could improvise with a piece of wood and a cushion . I been sitting on soft sofa last two days .. Hurts a bit getting up but nothing has popped out ! I am sure it will be fine ... Plus I find I can gingerly bend a bit after 2 weeks .. No point in telling you to clhillax but won't be so bad

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

You will probably talk to the surgeon just before you go into surgery on the day. Make the question about restrictions a priority.

Yes, restrictions are important at first but I agree with you - the 3 months seems like over kill. Talk to physio in the hospital about the daily activities that you are worried about. They help new hippies everyday.

Thanks all but talking to the surgeon isn't an option. I saw him for 5 min today and the np was there and except for a brief visit on the day of surgery I don't see him again until February. First two followups are w assistants. I think if I called and wanted to talk to him I'd be shunted off to an assistant. One of the things I don't like about this practice but technically they're good.
From my time here, it seems that everyone gets slightly different instructions from their surgeon and physio. I was told to keep to restrictions for six weeks but that was just until my follow up visit - for the second THR because the follow up was at 5 weeks, that's when the restrictions were lifted. This may happen with yours too.

In general, I would say that you would automatically be grateful for chairs with high seats and arms because they are comfy and easy to get out of in those early weeks. I avoided low, squishy sofas for more than 3 months simply because I knew I wouldn't find it comfortable. Restrictions sound difficult but in reality, your body often won't let you do the things you're told to avoid. I won't tell you to ignore your surgeon's advice because they are the experts but I do think a little common sense and listening to your body goes a long, long way.

Thanks @Jamie. As always, useful suggestions. I'm usually an assertive, take-charge person but in medical offices I turn into Miss Compliant. I wish I'd spoken up when I was sitting there feeling bothered by the yes-no I was hearing about precautions but I just nodded and then had a melt down later at home.

I'm trying to calm down but am feeling a bit sleep deprived and on edge still. The more rational part of me (and she does exist!) suspects that the confusing messages are a result of this OS being the first in the immediate area to use this approach and other staff are just getting used to working with patients who have had this approach.

But I think I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the unknowns and all I still need to do to get ready in just 2 days of the weekend (lots to do at work as well) and now I have to shop for a hard chair with arms??? More $$$ More time.

I've rented a recliner but it won't be delivered until Wednesday so I have no idea what it will feel like. I love my couch and have put a "bedboard" under the cushions but they're still softish. I can get up easily but don't know if it will be comfortable. Etc.

I don't know whether I'm coming home right after or going to rehab and won't know until I see how I feel so I need to plan for not being home for a while (cat sitter) and for coming home soon (have food in the house and someone to stay the first night); I don't know whether I'll be feeling the aftereffects of general anesthesia or the lesser impact of sedation--and on and on.

It's hard to prepare when you don't know what you're preparing for--and since I live alone, it's really all on me and important to have things set up just right beforehand since there won't be a willing partner here to rearrange things (friends are great but there are limits).

Last edited by a moderator:
@gertie I have learned to take a list of questions with me when I see a doctor/surgeon and they don't leave until q's are answered. :chinstroke::what: :)
I'm 3 months post-op now and still don't like lower seats and toilets --it's not that I can't get up and down but that I get a twinge that says "watch it". I think that is what precautions are! I enjoy sitting in bed so that's where I have spent most of my time. If I sit on the couch it's firmed up -on top--with feather pillows-- as is the recliner. I have found that the height of office chairs with arms--like in a waiting room--are perfect.
All we can do at home is to prepare our "nests". The three months has flown by and I finally feel perky and walk well. Fatigue still hits me at times. There is still lots of healing going on.
Part of the prep for this type of surgery is understanding that there are lots of unknowns that we have no control over.

@gertie If you have the anterior method used instead of Superior method of surgery you have no restrictions. Have you talked to your Doctor about this? I had both my hips done Anterior and it was basically pain free and up and walking the next day. Plus the scar is only 2 inches long!

@Chihuahuan Ah, those lists of questions. Yes, I had a comprehensive list but answers were a bit equivocal at times--and in some cases needed to be. The anesthesia question has to do with my TMJ and how the anesthetist wants to deal with that and whether the TMJ is acting up at the time of surgery, etc. A discussion that will happen on the day of surgery. The precaution debate I spelled out above--basically I think no one around here quite understands the direct superior approach yet (except of course my surgeon).
Part of the prep for this type of surgery is understanding that there are lots of unknowns that we have no control over.
So true and so disconcerting :bored:

My sofa was my domain....day and night! No arms on the sofa to help me up...but I used the walker to 'steady' myself. I had a piece of firm foam (JoAnn Fabrics) that covered the sofa cushions, then covered that with a beach towel....my bottom sheet. I don't think I ever sat in a straight chair during my recovery. As to restrictions, I think the written instructions you were given were 'standard issue' and your OS may have alternative views....which is good. True, few of us got to actually see our OS for much time, but trust that he has qualified people surrounding him to address all your concerns. And, to most of us, going in for this procedure was a total unknown....and we were fearful.....that's why this site is such a comfort. We have all survived.....and so will you. You'll no doubt be surprised by the help offered to you....from neighbors or strangers or co-workers. When they ask what they might do for you....TELL THEM your worries about the trash collection, etc. ~ ~ And before you order a recliner and all that entails as to delivery etc., I would wait to see how things go once you return home. Have you actually sat on the one you might order? Some might be too 'squishy' to be of help. I had one of those 'dorm room' bed-reading-pillows' ($20) and it was a god-send....night and day! Others here have used patio chairs, anti-gravity patio lounge chairs, etc. I got an anti-gravity beforehand...felt so comfy...and yet, after surgery I couldn't figure out how to get onto the darn thing without hurting myself! BUT.....DH liked it out on the patio!!! All in all.....deep breath!

Oh....and I had the superior method also....incision is about 4" long....relatively smooth recovery...no swelling or bruising (constant ice....regular elevation) and rather than 90* restrictions, I had 120*. No biggie.

@gazelle7777 Yes, I've heard that the anterior approach has good results and an easier recovery and it sounds like you're living proof of that! I'd need to go to Boston or Hartford or maybe Worcester for that and decided not to do so since I'm single and my support network, friends to drive me to and from hospital and appointments, visit me in the hospital, etc. are out here (100 miles from Boston; 50 from Hartford and Worcester). Many competent surgeons here just not trained in anterior. However, this new guy in town does another approach widely used in Boston that supposedly has great outcomes with less blood loss, less messing with soft tissue, no dislocation of the joint in the procedure, less overall trauma, etc. We'll see!

@Nana2-8 Yes, deep breathing is certainly needed chez Lynn (aka Gertie)! I'm trying to picture 120 degree bending precaution. Does that mean you can bend over further than the 90 degree or less far?

@Fuzzie Yes, I'm in the US--in a rural part of Massachusetts--beautiful here right now with all the leaves changing color. Thank you for your encouragement! Working on chillaxing today. How are you doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom