BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Fall after TKR....what to do

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by koolma, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koolma

koolma Junior Member

I just took a fall. Did not land on my knee, but twisted it going down. Hurt like Hell. I slid to the freezer and got ice, and am sitting on the floor waiting for my hubby to come home. Any advice? It hurts above and below my knee, the muscles do, and I have some pain when I turn my leg. I think the knee is ok. The rest of me is not so good. Also twisted my arm and hit my head on the floor. Klutz. Hubby is going to think I need the ER, but I want to wait. What do you think?
    Jeanne

2. koolma

koolma Junior Member

Ok, I am now in my chair, elevating and icing. I think this is just a muscle sprain. Anything I should do to see if the knee is ok? Took 800mg ibuprofen. Wondering if I should also take a pain pill? I feel like such a fool for doing this. Was cleaning in bath and a broom fell as I was walking and I tripped over the handle. Stupid!

3. Dewy

Dewy Member

If you go to Casualty but are not too seriously hurt they will make you wait for hours and hours, may give you an X-ray, and if nothing is broken they will send you home with advice.

Strong reasons for going to Casualty - could your head injury be potentially serious? How do you feel? If any doubt about head injury go to casualty - or perhaps dial 999 (or whatever the emergency number is in the US) rather than wait for hubby. Don't take chances with head injuries (fractured skulls, concussion??)

Any possibility of something broken anywhere? Do you think you can put weight on knee? Sounds worrying if you can't get up - can you call a neighbour for assistance rather than just wait for hubby.

Are you in shock?

If less serious, can you see a GP or nurse today? Polyclinic, drop-in centre, minor injuries clinic?

4. Dewy

Dewy Member

Have now read your second post - our posts must have crossed - not so worried given you were able to get up off the floor. Hope you get better soon.

5. JennyI

JennyI Member

Hi Jeanne, can you phone your GP or OS and get some advice from them? So sorry to hear about your fall - it is my fear too. I have read in some other posts that the new knee is very strong, but so soon after surgery, not sure if tendons, nerves etc., are fully recovered . Hopefully you are right and it is more soft tissue and muscle sprain. I am sure Josephine, Jamie or perhaps some other medical person on here can advise you.

Take care and keep us posted.

6. koolma

koolma Junior Member

Thanks, Dewey. I think my head is ok. Slammed it down, but it was more of a jarring. Will see how I can walk after I ice a wee more. Hoping it is just muscles. which are in pretty good shape due to all the PT. Scared the wits out of me, though. I was sure I had undone all my work! My little kitty came and cuddled with me til Hubby arrived, while the other cat and dog never moved off the couch! Some help they were.

7. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You'll be fine. If it weren't for the new knee, you'd have got up, cussed a bit and carried on! Your knee is a tough thing and won't be so easily damaged. You have bruised yourself and will be sore and achy for a while. Do take some pain meds and ice and rest until hubby comes home. You'll feel better then. However, you will probably feel worse tomorrow - stiffer and more sore - so don't plan on doing anything much!

8. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

Base over apex is something nearly all of us do at some time (some of us even do it a second time for good measure!!)

I can't recollect anybody causing their new knee implants any damage.

Have a good stiff whisky:wink1:

9. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

So sorry about your fall. It's scary. I fell after my hysterectomy just when I got home, walking my dog. Broke my arm and ribs. I didn't want to go back to the hospital.

Fell 6 month after knee surgery, on the knee.

I felt better having everything checked out. Doctor's office said they wanted to check me out. But those knees are strong indeed!

Right now, I'd get your hubbie to look up any symptoms you should be looking for as far as the head being hit.

Hope you feel better soon.

10. koolma

koolma Junior Member

Thanks, everyone, for advice. I can now walk on the leg, although it is stiff. Head is ok and making sure I don't nap this evening. I am hoping my flex has not been set back too much since I was just starting to make gains there. Afraid to take a pain med after the whack on my head. Sticking with 800 mg ibuprofen and tylenol. So far pain is nil.
    I feel so stupid and will be more careful. Seems like I am able to do more normal stuff now and I guess I got careless.....or I am just clumsy.....maybe a bit of both.

11. Truivia

Truivia Member

Falling is my biggest fear right now :hate-shocked:

I am sorry this happened to you and hope your OK.

I was talking to a lady the other day and she said her sisters ROM was not good and she tripped going down the stairs and did everything she could not to fall. So she was taking the steps in big spreads - hope that makes sense.

Any ways she was in a lot of pain BUT then realized her ROM was much much better. Here she gave herself a MUA lol :th_heehee:

said it hurt like a LOT at the time but saved her many painful PT visits lol

12. Josephine

As the man once said "That's the way to do it"!!!

13. zjrog

zjrog Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Still have a fear of falling, at 6 months, but not AS afraid... Hope you are going to be OK after the soreness settles.

14. koolma

koolma Junior Member

Falling down the stairs has to be the worst! I am very careful there. This was just a weird thing, the broom fell just as I was stepping, and the handle landed against the door, so it was off the floor maybe 9 inches, and I guess I tripped. Don't really remember how it happened, but I do remember how much my leg hurt! Today I am stiff and sore, but the ibuprofen helps immensely. PT will have to adjust to my flex today....not so great! Hoping I have not put myself back too far. Oh, I wish my ROM had been fixed by my fall!

15. heathersmom65

heathersmom65 Junior Member

Koolma: isn't it nice to have a kitty who will snuggle in your lap? (One of mine didn't leave my side for the 1st 4 weeks!)
    Tykey: I like your suggestion! Oh, wait...I don't like whiskey. Oh, well...:o)

16. koolma

koolma Junior Member

Haha! I thought about the whiskey, too, but didn't since I thought I might need pain med.....didn't. My sweet kitty is new to the family. Got her in March from daughter who adopted her rather than see her go to a shelter. She already had 3, so I took her home. Last night she stuck by me, knowing I was hurting. Other kitty and dog were clueless~

17. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

koolma, so sorry about your fall. I am sure by now you are just dealing with the soreness and embarrassment. We have all been there. Don't worry!

18. Josephine

Been thinking about you, koolma. Hope you're slowly recovering from your fall.

19. koolma

koolma Junior Member

Update: Went to PT today and he said he was sure it was just muscle and tissue soreness. My ext is still great, but flex was not so good due to swelling. He adjusted my routine to spare me pain on the flex. Said to stop anything that caused it pain, and work back gently and slowly, so I am listening. Icing and using ibuprofen for the pain and swelling. Guess it will set me back a few days, but no harm done. Have to say it scared the beejezzus out of me though! Once I was out of extreme pain and I had ice, I slip over to the coffee table and got on the comp to this site! I knew I could get advice and I did! THANKS! Will try not to be such a klutz in the future!

20. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Koolma.....so sorry that I am just now seeing your thread about falling!!! I know that is painful....to your body and your pride. Each of us takes a tumble at some point. Thankfully the knee joint holds up and we only must deal with soft tissue pain. I say "only," but recognize that those tissues can scream in pain for a while!!! Mine did when I fell on a concrete sidewalk.

It will get better! It sounds like your therapist is right on track with how to handle the situation too. Good for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.