BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Fall after knee replacement

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by anissa, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anissa

anissa New Member

My left knee was replaced in september. Completed my therapy and was released from my doctor's care as a great success. Unfortunatly I fell on my knee in December. According to the Xrays there has been no fracture. All I needed is a couple of weeks of resting, icing and elevating. So far this has not worked. Walking is no problem but stairs are. The area around the knee and leg extensions are painful. Please help...

2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Honey, you are only 4 months post op. You've aggravated things by having a fall. But apparently it's going to take more than a couple of weeks to get back to where you were. Don't fret about it. Just rest and take it easy until things subside and start to recover. You must have had a really nasty fall.

Are you taking pain meds? If not, perhaps you should be. Maybe not anything heavy, just Tylenol (500mg x 2) and ibuprofen (400mg x 2) together. It will get better - it just needs time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Anissa.....Jo's right. After my knee replacement I fell very hard directly on my knee on a concrete sidewalk. It hurt like crazy for several weeks and then I still had fairly significant pain now and then when I would move a certain way. And I was more than 6 months out from surgery.

Sometimes I think we focus on our new knees so much and fear that they may be damaged in some way and forget that, even with natural knees, a big fall can hurt soft tissue to the degree that it takes weeks to have the pain go away.

Over the years doctors have always told me that sprains will ALWAYS hurt more and take longer to heal than to actually break a bone.

Take good care of yourself...baby that knee and leg for a while longer....and you'll feel better. Let us know how you're getting along, okay? I'll be thinking about you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. anissa

anissa New Member

I have been biking 30 minutes a day and doing water exercises, would this delay my recovery?

5. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, it would seem it is if you are still having problems. Why don't you take a week off and see if it makes any difference?

Injuries don't get better when you beat the heck out of the injured limb! :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.