BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Failed Depuy Sigma Rotating Platform TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by WCW1, Jan 21, 2013.

1. pdx

pdx Senior

United States United States
    Please make sure you or your surgeon reports your issues with this implant to the FDA. There's a toll-free number on its site. They are (finally) getting more interesting in devices, after the debacle with Dupuy/J&J metal-on-metal hip replacements and with (J&J again) vaginal mesh. Thank you!

2. WCW1

WCW1 New Member

Haven't posted in a while. Other things going on. Going in tomorrow May 4 at 12:30 for an afternoon surgery. All preops were good. Had blood work, EKG, Echo and PET Stress test. All good. A little nervous but not to bad.

Hopefully will see you on the other side.

Bill :)

3. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

I would suggest to you and anyone else to obtain copies of both surgical notes and office notes. This gives you a good reference when you're home scratching your head.

I have tp echo the notion that some orthos can be very vocal when evaluating a knee that has a prosthesis they don't use. This happened to me. But you are saying this prosthesis has a poor reputation so that's different.

Also in the process of getting 2nd opinions, I was told they would re-do my knee which at a minimum would involve a spacer change but could also involve a total revision. This seems more logical and response to the patient's needs. When doing a revision, surgeons very often cannot state with certainty what they'll end up doing because they don't know with certainly the status of all the parts they encounter.

Your best bet is to be with a revision surgeon with lots of experience. It sounds as if you've found such a person but have you actually inquired how many revisions he does a year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Good luck with your surgery. Hope to hear good news from you soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. CaptPete 31

CaptPete 31 New Member

Hello Fellow Knee Pain Sufferers, I am a 66 year old male that has had 3 Depuy knee implants fail since 1999. First was a partial replacement that lasted from May 1999 to June 2005 it actually broke and collapsed into the tiba. Second one was a Depuy Rotating Platform Knee installed in August 2005 had to be removed because of loosening in January 2010, third is a Depuy fixed bearing knee installed in January 2010.
    I just had an MRI and Bone Scan that confirmed that the fixed bearing knee has loosened and has to be replaced. This will be the 3 rd revision. I have also had 6 arthroscopic surgeries to remove built up scar tissue in the replaced joints. Four arthroscopies on the rotating platform joint and two on the fixed bearing joint. Has anyone else had any similar problems from the Depuy joints failing?.
    I have been dealing with some of the top hospitals in the country Holy Cross in Ft Lauderdale, Mass General in Boston, Brigham & Womens in Boston and the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.
    I also have been trying to get a lawyer to handle possible legal action against Depuy(Johnson & Johnson) with no success. Seems like none of the law firms want to mess with J&J.
    Thanks for listening.
    CaptPete31

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I just had BTKR 12-31=13, I have had nothing but problems with these Depuy Sigma Rotating platform knees. Every step is grinding and popping. Recovered from surgery soreness quickly. ROM was excellent because they were ok as long as i was not standing..... It continues to get worse the more I walk on them. It started with just painful grinding with a walking stride , and now my right knee which is worse than the left is moving popping just to lift off the floor in standing position and buckling avg. once a day. I know that I can not be the only one with these issues. My OS said there is nothing wrong, and that he has never heard of grinding in any knee replacements.I have had 7 previous joint surgeries never more than aspirin when leaving the hospital, but this is very painful......

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. pdx

pdx Senior

The FDA has a form on its site that individuals can use to report problems with medical devices (or drugs, for that matter). Suggest you do just that. Also, Consumer Reports/Consumers Union has taken great interest in artificial joints and is interested in hearing from people who've had problems, through its Safe Patient Project. You can find all by Googling.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. icep707

icep707 Post-Grad

Bill , best of luck , hoping for a successful outcome for you. You have suffered long enough. We will see you on the otherside. Godspeed !!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. personalizit

personalizit New Member

I had a Depuy knee replacement in 1996. 18 years of good use, but the insert is now worn out. Not bad, considering I was a little rough on it because I was fairly young when I had it done (45). I moved several times after the replacement, lifting heavy furniture and pianos, chain-sawed 20 trees per year on my land, etc. Maybe it depends on the surgeon as to results? The surgeon I use also taught replacements to doctors worldwide and was on Depuy's advisory board. I'll be having a new insert put in this summer.

10. amberpep

amberpep Graduate

Hi there .... that's the type of replacement I had done 3 years ago, but I'm having trouble ..... pain, falling, trouble getting out of a chair and in a car, steps ..... you're fortunate yours worked so well. I don't know what happened to mine, it's possible I need a revision. I don't see the new doctor (an O.S. who specializes in revisions) ..until June 19 ...... that feels like a long time to wait, but if he's busy, he must be good. He sounds really good. I got his name from my Physical Therapist, so I feel good in it. He's at a hospital in Baltimore which is affiliated with Georgetown.

Maybe Jamie or Josephine can give you some input here. Take care,

abby

• Like Like x 1
  11. amberpep

amberpep Graduate

I just had another thought ..... I DO wonder now if there are some inherent problems in these Depuy replacement appliances. Did anyone ever do a search on it? I think I'm going to ..... this seems like too many to me.
    abby

12. DawninPlover

DawninPlover New Member

Hi! Long time reader, first time poster - I had a LTKR on 10/17/13 with the DePuy LCS rotating platform knee. First few months were good, recovery/rehab went well. Went back to work full time after 8 weeks. (Too much, too soon, I now know!). Had issues with pain and swelling, but rest/elevation/ice/exercise kept things from getting out of hand. Then on 2/28/14 had a bad, hard trip and fall landing directly on my knees. (I tripped over my snowmobile ski). Had an appointment a couple weeks later with a new PA, (my Dr retired). Xrays showed nothing wrong, she determined I had synovial chondromatosis. I have had issues with knee swelling most of my life. Prescribed new anti inflammatories, seemed to help. A few weeks later I had increased, extreme pain while at work while overdoing some physical activities. Again, backing off on activity helped lessen pain/swelling. Then on 4/19 I slipped and fell down my house steps. Went for Xrays, PA saw something he didn't like, sent me for a bone scan. Turns out both parts of my implant are loose!! New Dr looked at Xrays from March, saw loosening starting back then. I have a revision tentatively scheduled. Noone will give me a definitive answer on why it's loose, only that my falls probably contributed to the loosening but didn't cause it, and there is something wrong with the cement on the Xrays, so maybe I had faulty cement! I would appreciate any opinions, suggestions, etc. from those of you who had similar circumstances.

13. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

@DawninPlover ,
    Welcome to Bonesmart as a member, and long time reader. Loosening can be caused by many factors, unlikely your fall. The cement may not have been properly applied, and now you have loosening. Here is an article that may be helpful.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/revisions-what-makes-them-necessary.15005/
    Here is an article on synovial chrondromatosis. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/synovial-chondromatosis-of-the-knee.9042/
    You will receive quicker answers to your questions if you start your own thread and tell us a little more about yourself.

14. amberpep

amberpep Graduate

Holy mackeral! That sounds like what's happening with me! I have fallen several times right on my knees, first year all was well; then I had to have scar tissue removed and it was back to P.T. Well, ever since then I've had problems. My knee is very unstable, I've fallen several times, it's almost 2x the size of my other knee, and I can't get out of a chair without pushing with my arms. It's the outside of my right knee and there's a clicking sound when I bend it. Sometimes at night when I go to bed, that area down my tibia just aches. I saw my OS this week and I'm going for a bone scan on Tuesday. The x-ray didn't show anything, but he said that's not unusual. He talked about the possibilities of inflammation, infection, or having broken away from the sides of the wall. I have a DePuy Rotating Platform also. My biggest worry is that he'll say "there's nothing wrong," at which point I would holler "then why does it hurt so much?" Whatever it is, I want it fixed ASAP. I'm too old to let life pass on by while I hobble along.
    Keep me updated on how you're doing and I'll do the same.
    Take care,
    abby

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. amberpep

amberpep Graduate

UPDATE ..... I have an appointment with my O.S. for June 2. I'll be interested to see what he says. I'm also going to get a second opinion after that so before I do anything I feel settled in my decision. Nothing has changed .... it's been the same for over a year now.
    The orbital cellulitis is improving, slowly, but I believe it's slowly leaving ..... a very long process. If what he's doing didn't work, he was going to put me in the hospital for strong I.V. antibiotics ..... ICK!
    I know I'm getting older, but I think I'm falling apart! :dubious:
    Take care,
    abby (IS THIS MY THREAD?)

16. amberpep

amberpep Graduate

Hi WCWI ..... Your post is very interesting. in 2011 I had a RTKR with a DePuy Rotating Platform Knee Replacement. It was OK for about a year then I had a lot of pain. I had developed scar tissue. He went in arthroscopically and cleaned it up. Ever since them I have had pain in and all around the joint. That knee is 2x as big as the other one, and my calf is larger also. My OS consulted with one of his collegues and they could not figure out what was wrong. I've had x-rays, bloodwork and fluid aspirated from my knee all of which to be cultured for infection, and a bone scan. The bone scan was interesting as the whole body looked good, but that knee was like a dark ball (it was black and white anyhow). But it stood out totally obvious. So, he said to get a second opinion which I'm going to do. He's writing the new doctor a letter about my history, etc. and I have the x-rays and bone scans. From the reading I've done, it sounds like it just may be the rotating platform knee that is the problem. Take care my friend ...... everyone here is in a similar boat.
    abby

• Like Like x 1