BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[TKR] Expectations at 4- 5 months post-op after TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by gailcalled, Jan 26, 2014.

1. NuNe4Me

NuNe4Me Senior

United States United States
    There is a good Article in the BoneSmarties' Library titled: "Clicking/Clunking Knee Joint After Surgery" that I found helpful. I have joked around that it sounds like I have a toolbox in my knee now. My OS' reply was: "Well, you do have a lot of metal in there now." My clunking sounds haven't gone away, but they have died down as my muscles have become tighter. =)

I haven't been able to garden on my knees for years. I will have to try the "Sumo Squat". =)
  2. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I hope so---but they may or may not---that was not my concern at the time. At 53, my life--my active lifestyle---was in shambles and I was in pain---a great deal of it, and quite often. I do not know what the future holds; I do know, however, that right now, I have a great life. If I need a revision, so be it. I am not worried, nor was I worried, about the future. Then I was concerned about my life at the then present time, which was very restricted. Now, I have a great life with my knees. Neither of my OS's mentioned anything about the idea of me being "too young" for a BTKR.

I am allowed to kneel down, but I choose not to do so because it feels weird---it does not hurt, but I do not like how it feels.
  3. gailcalled

gailcalled New Member

Thank you, everyone, for the useful and clear advice and vignettes about your own experiences. I wish I had found this board four months ago. I am redesigning my exercise program to be less knee-specific and more let's-keep-all-parts-of-the-aging-body-heatlhy. Adieu, Aleve, also.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jeano

jeano Senior

With the Tylenol you should be fine as long as you are not exceeding 4gm total in 24 hours--there are a lot of OTC meds with "hidden" tylenol like Nyquil so you have to add that in. Recently in the US the FDA cut that recommended dosage down to 3gm a day--I think mostly because of the hidden acetaminophen. And if you are routinely knocking back more than 2 drinks of alcohol a day(!) that in combination with a lot of Tylenol certainly isnt good for your liver. Outside of those caveats its good and safe medicine. It has managed my pain since I quit taking opiates approximately 3 days postop.

I, too, think the knee exercises for life is a lot of hooey. The wholebody fitness stuff, staying limber and preserving bone density and balance is what's important for women of a certain age, since a leading cause of permanent disability for us is falls and resultant fractures. Anyway, I didnt get my knee done so I could be a knee patient for the rest of my life. I got it done so I could walk dogs and ride horses for as long as I can.
  5. gailcalled

gailcalled New Member

I am starting the ninth month after TKR and continue to have a lot of moderate to severe discomfort going up and down stairs and getting in and out of a chair or bed (plus alarming clickings and crunchings still). Surgeon, last week, agreed that I have been overzealous in doing the designated knee-specific exercises, particulary the 3 lb. weights around ankles. PT people discharged me in early Jan. with the stern admonition to continue to do what they had showed me. So, stupidly, I did, although eventually I stopped the weights and the icing.

Surgeon talked about overusing the tendons sasid he would send PT people a copy of his notes. When I showed him what I had been doing, he made a face. "Now you tell me," I said.

So now I am sticking to a 40 minute walk 4-5 x weekly and a daily lie on a heating pad for ten minutes and then some slow and careful lower back stretches. Any advice, counsel or words of comfort? 77 year-old female and used to following the advice of the "experts."
  6. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

Do you have pain/soreness in the tendon area with the walks? I might do even less for a while and let things settle down.