BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. NOTICE

You will all be interested to know we are expanding our range!

A new forum has been created for "Other Joints" which includes anything NOT hip or knee. It can be found under the hip category on the forum Home Page and in the Navbar at the top of the page.

Also the Social designation of the category and forum will be changed to Community to make it clearer that this is not intended to be a copy of Facebook!

Please let Josephine or Jamie know or post it in the Bugs, Errors, and Techy Questions if you find or have any problems with the new set-up

Happy painfree days, all!

[TKR] Expectations at 4- 5 months post-op after TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by gailcalled, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NuNe4Me

NuNe4Me Senior

United States United States
    There is a good Article in the BoneSmarties' Library titled: "Clicking/Clunking Knee Joint After Surgery" that I found helpful. I have joked around that it sounds like I have a toolbox in my knee now. My OS' reply was: "Well, you do have a lot of metal in there now." My clunking sounds haven't gone away, but they have died down as my muscles have become tighter. =)

I haven't been able to garden on my knees for years. I will have to try the "Sumo Squat". =)

2. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I hope so---but they may or may not---that was not my concern at the time. At 53, my life--my active lifestyle---was in shambles and I was in pain---a great deal of it, and quite often. I do not know what the future holds; I do know, however, that right now, I have a great life. If I need a revision, so be it. I am not worried, nor was I worried, about the future. Then I was concerned about my life at the then present time, which was very restricted. Now, I have a great life with my knees. Neither of my OS's mentioned anything about the idea of me being "too young" for a BTKR.

I am allowed to kneel down, but I choose not to do so because it feels weird---it does not hurt, but I do not like how it feels.

3. gailcalled

gailcalled New Member

Thank you, everyone, for the useful and clear advice and vignettes about your own experiences. I wish I had found this board four months ago. I am redesigning my exercise program to be less knee-specific and more let's-keep-all-parts-of-the-aging-body-heatlhy. Adieu, Aleve, also.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeano

jeano Graduate

With the Tylenol you should be fine as long as you are not exceeding 4gm total in 24 hours--there are a lot of OTC meds with "hidden" tylenol like Nyquil so you have to add that in. Recently in the US the FDA cut that recommended dosage down to 3gm a day--I think mostly because of the hidden acetaminophen. And if you are routinely knocking back more than 2 drinks of alcohol a day(!) that in combination with a lot of Tylenol certainly isnt good for your liver. Outside of those caveats its good and safe medicine. It has managed my pain since I quit taking opiates approximately 3 days postop.

I, too, think the knee exercises for life is a lot of hooey. The wholebody fitness stuff, staying limber and preserving bone density and balance is what's important for women of a certain age, since a leading cause of permanent disability for us is falls and resultant fractures. Anyway, I didnt get my knee done so I could be a knee patient for the rest of my life. I got it done so I could walk dogs and ride horses for as long as I can.

5. gailcalled

gailcalled New Member

I am starting the ninth month after TKR and continue to have a lot of moderate to severe discomfort going up and down stairs and getting in and out of a chair or bed (plus alarming clickings and crunchings still). Surgeon, last week, agreed that I have been overzealous in doing the designated knee-specific exercises, particulary the 3 lb. weights around ankles. PT people discharged me in early Jan. with the stern admonition to continue to do what they had showed me. So, stupidly, I did, although eventually I stopped the weights and the icing.

Surgeon talked about overusing the tendons sasid he would send PT people a copy of his notes. When I showed him what I had been doing, he made a face. "Now you tell me," I said.

So now I am sticking to a 40 minute walk 4-5 x weekly and a daily lie on a heating pad for ten minutes and then some slow and careful lower back stretches. Any advice, counsel or words of comfort? 77 year-old female and used to following the advice of the "experts."

6. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

Do you have pain/soreness in the tendon area with the walks? I might do even less for a while and let things settle down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.